Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1735631 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #200 on: 01 October, 2009, 09:12:24 am »
Well I'm not doing any running, I can tell you!

Not only did I ford Nutty's Slimed Bottom, I in fact remained stationary (track standing, if I may) for about a minute whilst a slighty inebriated Mark tried to find the camera feature on his phone whilst shining a Tesco Cree searchlight upon me, thus making me completely unable to see ANYTHING but a very bright light, whilst hearing the gurgling of the water over my rear mech. Or something.

I was delighted to attend the MEMWNS, especially as I don't entirely qualify due to:

(a) not living in Mid-Essex but in North-East Essex (there be dragons there!)
(b) using an internal combustion engine to travel 45 miles as part of the journey
(c) drinking tea all evening (plenty of it too!) and nothing alcoholic
(d) boring the pants off Mark (fortunately not literally) about wanting a pudding and when it finally arrived, jeering at it for its pöshness when all we cyclists want is stodge and lots of it...

Ahhhh, now I understand!  Mr O was sending me pictures of pots of tea and I was worried that something dreadful had happened to un-balanced his mind.

Don't worry about the factors you feel might disqualify you from our humble troupe.  We are a broad church and will take all comers, after all Mr O himself is from THE NORTH  :o  so if that isn't a demonstration of our inclusiveness I don't know what is.

On the subject of Mr O, I must apologise.  Since meeting him earlier this year I have been well and truly led astray and it would appear he is having the same effect on you.  Being made to park in a ford simply isn't on and your patience and forbearance is admirable. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #201 on: 01 October, 2009, 09:20:56 am »
Well of course I'm not from the North. That would be insupportable. I merely live in a fractionally more northward direction than The Hoop, Stock. I'm far prouder of the Easterly part of the previously-mentioned North-East Essex. East is cool. East means sea breezes, oysters, boats, container ships... and of course I'm from even MORE East than that, hailing from the Fatherland as I do.

East is good. North less so. So this drinkies series would obviously be far better as an East-Essex MWNS but one can't have everything...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #202 on: 01 October, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »
And the pubs are?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #203 on: 01 October, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »
...hostelries where one can get a nice drink, such as a cup of tea. I assumed you'd know this already though Del!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #204 on: 02 October, 2009, 11:23:04 am »
LOL!  ;D

I'm going to try and write up the list tonight, once I decipher my handwriting etc.  We decided to select about 9 I think from a combination of the original lists and suggested sites a=logn with a wildcard entry that came in on the night.

One excerpt from the minutes that I will mention now is that Oscar's Dad was unanimously elected as MEMWNS CDO (*).

cheers,
Mark

(*) Christmas Do Officer
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #205 on: 02 October, 2009, 11:50:46 am »

One excerpt from the minutes that I will mention now is that Oscar's Dad was unanimously elected as MEMWNS CDO (*).

cheers,
Mark

(*) Christmas Do Officer

I am humbled and consider myself unworthy of such High Office.  Some are born great, others have greatness thrust upon them (in this instance probably thrust upon me in a most unseemly manner  ;D )

I have a cunning plan that I shall be investigating this very weekend.  The plan has some shortcomings but I hope the positives will outweigh the negatives. 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #206 on: 04 October, 2009, 08:35:16 am »
And the pubs are?

drumroll

EDIT:-- I have moved the list of pubs and dates to its own "venues" thread to make it easier to find.  To avoid confusion in case the two lists get out of sync somehow, I've removed the list from this comment.

[EDIT: changed dates since Auntie Helen pointed out I had two 21st Octobers in there]

There were plenty more on the original longlist if we want to extend this out into December.

« Reply #207 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:15:57 am »
And the pubs are?
  • 21st Oct - Curry place - Dunmow

There were plenty more on the original longlist if we want to extend this out into December.

Lovely list  :thumbsup:

I'm guessing my text message reply entered the flat phone battery abyss ;)

It's the http://www.jalsaghar.co.uk/

Purely in the interests of the future attendees, I last night tested the Jalsa Ghar and enjoyed a pint in the attached pub while waiting for the lovely take-away food to be prepared O:-)  The food was excellent and also enjoyed by Mrs Chief and the guests we had round :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #208 on: 04 October, 2009, 10:47:23 am »
  • 21st Oct - Swan - Little Totham
Is this date a 'choose your favourite of the two pubs' date then?

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #209 on: 04 October, 2009, 11:35:20 am »
Some are born great, others have greatness thrust up them

:o :o ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #210 on: 04 October, 2009, 02:29:03 pm »
  • 21st Oct - Swan - Little Totham
Is this date a 'choose your favourite of the two pubs' date then?

:)  oops - I'll edit a correction to the dates in ...

Cheers,
Mark

Oscar's dad

« Reply #211 on: 04 October, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »
Smashing list!  I shall join in as soon as I can.  Well done Mr O and helpers  :thumbsup:

Research last night has ripped my Christmas do plan asunder - mores the pity.  Back to the drawing board!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #212 on: 05 October, 2009, 08:19:58 am »
I will make every effort to come. Wednesdays get a bit chocca. Compasses is only 2.5 miles from my place. :thumbsup:

« Reply #213 on: 05 October, 2009, 01:00:09 pm »
And it's on my way home from work. What route will you be taking Mark?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #214 on: 05 October, 2009, 01:03:46 pm »
I'm up for this one, if Mark's willing to cycle at snail-speed from somewhere to the pub.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #215 on: 05 October, 2009, 01:58:14 pm »
With regrets (especially since I am very partial to the gravity served beer at the Compasses) I'm not going to be able to make it this Wednesday :( mrs_o has a night out arranged which means it's my turn to look after the little ones.

I'll be back on track the week after though :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #216 on: 05 October, 2009, 02:06:12 pm »
In that case I'm up for this one if anyone else can lead me to t'pub from somewhere I can park my car...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #217 on: 05 October, 2009, 08:19:05 pm »
   I think at last I can make it on a Wednesday evening!! BUT its the 21st Oct ride to the Queen Vic in Dunmow, which is about 1/2 mile up the road from home!! DOH ::-)! Is anybody starting from 10-20 miles away that I could ride out to and then back with to give some point, other than BEER, to the procedings??! ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #218 on: 05 October, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »
   I think at last I can make it on a Wednesday evening!! BUT its the 21st Oct ride to the Queen Vic in Dunmow, which is about 1/2 mile up the road from home!! DOH ::-)! Is anybody starting from 10-20 miles away that I could ride out to and then back with to give some point, other than BEER, to the procedings??! ;D

I'll almost certainly be riding over from the Witham direction - I'm sure we could work a meeting point out.  It would be nice to say hi again (we met once this summer on an audax - the Windmill Ride if I remember correctly - I also think I saw your bike at the Flora Beach Cafe one particular morning in July, but didn't see your good self anywhere near it :) ).

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #219 on: 05 October, 2009, 09:22:41 pm »
   Thanks Mark, perhaps we could meet at a PUB :thumbsup: to save hanging around in a bus shelter, randonneur stylee! The Square and Compasses, Fuller street or the St Anne's Castle in Gt Leighs spring to mind, on a direct route from Witham. PM me nearer the time if you want.

« Reply #220 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:26:03 pm »
I'm out for tomorrow now, have alternative plans, but I may well stop at the Compasses for a pint after work anyway... ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #221 on: 07 October, 2009, 09:48:47 am »
Due to lack of travelling partner it seems unlikely I shall attend this evening.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #222 on: 07 October, 2009, 09:52:48 am »
Due to lack of travelling partner it seems unlikely I shall attend this evening.

Sorry about that  :'(

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #223 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:49:56 am »
Don't think anyone's going now are they?

« Reply #224 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:50:22 am »
And as I chose to get the bus to work this morning, I won't be cycling past the nominated pub at all this evening - this really is a poor show!