Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750509 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1675 on: 30 November, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »
Next Weds will be my ** rd birthday, so I shall be preoccupied with CAKE and other goodies! So, then I'll see you at the Xmas do on 10th.

Happy Birthday for next week!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1676 on: 01 December, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »
Popped into the old plough next to Chelmsford station tonight. Recently done up. Very cosy leather sofas and 8 real ales on, I recommend it.

« Reply #1677 on: 02 December, 2010, 09:31:57 am »
Does it still resemble a pub, or is it more of a restaurant now?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1678 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:25:50 am »
Bit of both I'd say, tWas a flying visit tho

« Reply #1679 on: 02 December, 2010, 10:29:36 am »
Does it still resemble a pub, or is it more of a restaurant now?

It's a bit poncey now. "Cricket chick" doesn't work there any more, so it's a lesser establishment IMO. The beer is still good though. Oh - that girl who used to work in The Chequers in Writtle works there now. I spent quite some time with a completely blank look on my face the other night when she was asking how I was, but had absolutely no clue who she was!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1680 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:18:14 am »
...Oh - that girl who used to work in The Chequers in Writtle works there now. I spent quite some time with a completely blank look on my face the other night when she was asking how I was, but had absolutely no clue who she was!

Which girl? Katy? Wont be long until she's high on party drugs and dancing on the dining tables then!

Or do you mean Jo, she's a bit more sensible...

We've seen the landlord of the Chequers drinking in there before, I guess it's where he goes to get away from the craziness of his own pub.

« Reply #1681 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:23:42 am »
Yeah its Jo.

Imagine a MEMWNS in The Chequers! It would be carnage!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1682 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »
I remember us discussing that very idea last time we went to the Wheatsheaf (after my quick run out to see if there was any cash to be had in Writtle).

EDIT: In fact, I do believe токамак also mentioned the idea the time he killed me on the ride over to the Wheatsheaf.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1683 on: 07 December, 2010, 02:08:34 pm »
The Compasses has it's winter beer festival on next week Thursday to Sunday  :thumbsup:

http://www.compasseslittleygreen.co.uk/BF_info.htm

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1684 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »
The Compasses has it's winter beer festival on next week Thursday to Sunday  :thumbsup:

http://www.compasseslittleygreen.co.uk/BF_info.htm

Oh dear.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1685 on: 02 January, 2011, 11:55:14 pm »
Wed 5th, anyone?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1686 on: 03 January, 2011, 08:35:15 am »
'Book club' [inserts quotes :thumbsup:] postponed from snowy December, sorry! Next week?
And Happy New Year!

« Reply #1687 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:03:59 am »
The old book club chestnut  ;D

Happy new year everyone

I'm off work decorating this week so would appreciate visiting the great outdoors - Wickes and B&Q do not count.  How about Fuller Street?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1688 on: 03 January, 2011, 11:12:23 am »
The old book club chestnut  ;D

Happy new year everyone

I'm off work decorating this week so would appreciate visiting the great outdoors - Wickes and B&Q do not count.  How about Fuller Street?

Sounds like a nice easy start to the new year!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1689 on: 03 January, 2011, 01:10:39 pm »
I'm starting as I mean to go on  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1690 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
'Book club' [inserts quotes :thumbsup:] postponed from snowy December, sorry! Next week?
And Happy New Year!

Having seen what the Henham book club get up to I'm surprised you survive your regular attendance at these.

Happy New Year to you too!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1691 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:49:00 am »
And Happy New Year!

Having seen what the Henham book club get up to I'm surprised you survive your regular attendance at these.

Happy New Year to you too!

That's why our Tomsk has amazing stamina and is fit as a butcher's dog!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1692 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »
That's why our Tomsk has amazing stamina and is fit as a butcher's dog!
[/quote]
I wish! Lol! ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1693 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:58:21 pm »
I'm starting as I mean to go on  :thumbsup:

I'm going to come home to change tomorrow night, rather than lug all my stuff into London and back, so I'll probably be arriving at the S&C, Fuller St between 8 o'clock and half past.

« Reply #1694 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
Righteo.

By the time I've done my hair and worked out how to ride a bike again,  I should be there for about the same sort of time  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1695 on: 06 January, 2011, 12:08:32 am »
Full writeup in a minute, once I get a drink, but I reckon that chap in the deerstalker hat must have been psychic or something.  Since I don't believe in "woo woo" he must therefore be something.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1696 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:15:23 am »
... so...

chief and I were sitting in the S&C.  It was a quiet, strangely misty night.  We took to discussing the matters of the day, including the inexplicable absence of our chum, Oscar's dad.  After all, the outing was to one of his favourite pubs, near Witham.  How could the absence be explained?

We left the subject for a while and discussed unrelated things - Tomsk's "book club", our recent Xmas outing to Henham (and the "Henham Mum's Book Club") and other matters.

At this point a Gent, clad in a Deerstalker (a surprisingly common hat at the S&C - they do serve lots of game -- in fact, the only more common hat in there is the Veryverylocalpigeonstalker), moved across from the bar and joined us at our commodious1 table. (To make the following easier to follow Oaky and chief are labelled as "cO" and the Strange Hombre is "SH").

SH: "You two are like all the rest - you SEE but you DO NOT OBSERVE!"

cO: "Um....?" (in Unison1.)

SH: "It's obvious what has happened to your chum and companion." (stated more laconically than was strictly necessary)

cO: "Err...?" (both looking gormless)

SH: "You mentioned that OD started the thread himself, so he was obviously aware of it as a communication method.

Furthermore he had commented during the discussion of this outing, so he was aware you'd be here.

Also, he's recently expressed awe for Tomsk's physical prowess."

Suddenly, it all became clear to us, and by applying the stranger's maxim, that he had impressed upon us earlier3, "Once you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth",   we both chanted in Unison1(again)

(click to show/hide)

1. Regulars will know to which table this refers.

2. Having joined a Union specially for the occasion, mainly to please clarion.

3. Before buggering off without buying a round!  (He was apparently in a hurry to go to the theatre or cinema or watch TV or something similar - his parting words were a rather urgent sounding "I have to leave - I need to find 'what's on'.  I need to find 'what's on' this instant!".  Then there was something about "Lemon Entry"???)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1697 on: 06 January, 2011, 07:01:31 am »
I am flattered little old me was the subject of so much of your conversation.  By equal measure I am touched that I was so badly missed.

Thankful am I that I neglected to present my apologies before the evening otherwise you would have missed your encountered with ear wigging Mystic Meg in a Silly Hat.

The truth of the matter is that decorating the sandwich shop is presenting no end of difficulties principally because we don't like the colour scheme we chose so last night I was doing some repainting.

I could have done with a ride as I haven't ridden anything two wheeled since the Henham Festive Outrage TM and the scales tell me I am turning into a fat bastard.  My plan is to get out this weekend for a quick spin.

Glad you both had a nice evening.  Next time I hope you talk about something/body more interesting  ;D  :-*

« Reply #1698 on: 06 January, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »
It was a splendid evening in the S&Q with no shortage of rumours discussed  ;)  Being my first ride of 2011, I decided to take it easy with the journey taking just under 30 minutes each way.  The light rain made it a bit of a wake up ride and getting ready took an impressive amount of faff    O:-)

I awoke this morning to Mrs Chief telling me we had ran out of heating oil and therefore no hot water or warmth.  The cats, which are already unimpressed with two months of loft conversion noise, now have another reason to shred me to bits while I sleep.  Oil was already ordered last week but delivery time won't be for a good few days yet, the joys of the countryside :(

Yours shivering

chief

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1699 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »
Anybody out this Wednesday? Forecast is for a mild[!] night. David Kerry and I will be setting out from Dunmow at 7:30pm.