Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2483593 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #625 on: 19 February, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »
A bit of drizzle on the way in, but nothing horrible.

I discovered that I can do an emergency stop on the fixed.  :thumbsup:

I also had a bus pull out on me. Those two events might be related.

« Reply #626 on: 19 February, 2010, 08:58:52 pm »
Where are you chaps? It's all calm and tranquility in Brighton.

Calm and tranquility? I managed to keep pace with someone on the last hill home today, and I got to ride both to and from work - considerable excitement at this end of Brighton.

« Reply #627 on: 19 February, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
And another blowout, on the way home.

Despite putting a patch on the inside of the tyre covering the slit, the tube blew out through it on the way home. fasdhf
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #628 on: 19 February, 2010, 10:52:47 pm »
Ice all the way in.  I had to leave my back roads for the main road.
Still managed to stay upright and in my correct zones.

Tough day at work.  Busy busy busy.  HRM played up for the first mile and then I remembered something MV had suggested a while ago - when fat burning training - give yourself one day a week for a blow out.  I chose tonight.  I really enjoyed my ride home.  Everything came together and I was flying.  Got the HR up to 91% of max and even did some awesome spinning with a high 80's HR.  Great fun.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #629 on: 20 February, 2010, 10:03:20 am »
Had a great blast home last night, met Emily on the way which was a nice fluke of timing and we paced out the rest of the journey together  :)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #630 on: 20 February, 2010, 12:33:45 pm »
Interesting commute home last night. Almost home, queuing at a junction to turn right out of the road into the main road. There was a car in the middle of the main road turning into my road. The Van in front of me got impatient and tried to drive around the back of the car, as it turned the back of the van scrapped down the side of the turning car (which wasn't moving) practically destroying the rear bumper.

The Van then drove off up the road.

I didn't get the Reg of the Van, and the woman driving the car was in a right mess. I calmed her down and found her a safe place to pull over and assess the damage.

She was panicing because it was her boyfriend's car, she was only taking it round the block to see what it was like, and wasn't actually insured to drive it  ::-)

I left her my number in case she needed a witness, but somehow I doubt she'll be in touch.

« Reply #631 on: 21 February, 2010, 07:19:44 pm »
Oh my goodness, that was tiring.  Either it was riding the fixed instead of the recumbent, or the very fast (well for this time of year) commute on the recumbent yesterday, or I'm going down with lurgy, or a combination of all of these.  I'm shattered now, and I did hardly any teaching today.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #632 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:14:45 am »
Moist this morning again.

I almost didn't ride, but I'm glad I did.
Getting there...

« Reply #633 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:28:14 am »
Snow, sleet, rain, dry, small hard snow, big soft flakes, rain, rain, rain.
I seemed to go from one micro climate to another, all in the space of 24 miles this morning.
I was comfortable though as I was well dressed for the conditions.  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #634 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:40:49 am »
Snow, sleet, rain, dry, small hard snow, big soft flakes, rain, rain, rain.

I had thick fog, rain, sleet and the odd bit of snow.
Oh and a headwind
It wasn't cold however

« Reply #635 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:41:46 am »
Struggle against the headwind today, snow on the hills and a massive effort considering the paltry 5 miles into w**k. Really showing that I havent been well for the past month....

« Reply #636 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:53:16 am »
Moist this morning again.

I almost didn't ride, but I'm glad I did.

It was significantly more unpleasant than I was expecting. I hope that wind stays in the same direction for the ride home, because I want some payback!

« Reply #637 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:56:35 am »
It was COLD in Mcr but the snow had gone. But the windchill was grim. Still, I managed to cycle in so that was good :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #638 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:59:40 am »
I took the long route to the office via the spare bedroom & from there saw a Robin on the bird feeder on the top lawn.Only the second sighting this year.

« Reply #639 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:28:17 am »
There were a couple of puddles which were at least 8" deep along the Tooting bec cycle path. I looked down at one point and my bottom bracket was engulfed by the bow wave from my front wheel. Pretty spectacular.
Funnier though was the very small dog who was prancing along like a Lipizzaner stalliojn trying to keep above the water.
Less funny was private hire cab LG58PHV who decided that passing so close to the cyclist in front of me that his wing mirror actually touched the guy's elbow was perfectly acceptable behaviour.

« Reply #640 on: 22 February, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »
Decent snow here. Got my waterproofs on, buff up to my eyes, wooly hat down, radiant gloves on. Nearly slipped over on the way to the garage. Realised prolly need to take the MTB. Nearly fell off within 50 yds, but persevered. Headwind and heavy wet snow meant I could barely see, and had to pull the buff up over one eye as it was sore. Got to the main road. Snow was too thick on the cycle path, so tried riding on the tracks that the cars had made. After several vehicles and finally a bus passed me at 60 and showered me with snow, I decided I had enough, and rode back home. I passed a person on an MTB going in the other direction going very slowly, with a balaclava and oakley shades on. Hero.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #641 on: 22 February, 2010, 01:37:08 pm »
Rain. Lots of rain. First time out with overshoes though. I like. :)
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #642 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:10:52 pm »
I'm working on overshow layering. Current approach is Endura overshoes covered by my Carradice oiled cotton overshoes.

Seems to do the job for a 1 hour commute anyway. Will be interested to see how they handle an audax.
Owner of a languishing Langster

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #643 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:53:53 pm »
Rain. Lots of rain. First time out with overshoes though. I like. :)

Really?! I am wearing 2 different types of overshoes at the moment, as at present I have 3 mismatched ones  ::-)

Today was really not as bad as last Tuesday when I was cycling on the fruity A205 towards Richmond, it felt like I was ingesting a whole pondful of water.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #644 on: 22 February, 2010, 03:40:19 pm »
Really?!

Yep. I know its a bit silly, given this is (hopefully) the tail end of the wet season, but this was also the first day after the weekend that the mrs and I cleared out the loft. Cue much discovery of bike related stuff that had been stashed / tidied / hidden since we moved house 2 years back.

Overshoes were a birthday present from Oct 2007 I believe. I can see why people wear them. Quite lovely. Still have to find some way to waterproof the cleat openings in my MTB soles though. 40 odd miles a day of this is getting me a little sodden. :D

« Reply #645 on: 22 February, 2010, 03:56:52 pm »
Gore Tex overshoes are my favourite.  I put my Assos toe warmers on underneath too as I do suffer from cold feet.  Add to that my silk socks and then my Woolie Boolies  ;D

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #646 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:02:49 pm »
Toe warmers... MMMmmmm... Even the words sound good.

« Reply #647 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:04:16 pm »
Zen cycling on the way home.  Don't know why, it just felt great.
Even the cold strong head wind could not disipate my feeling of oneness with thy cycle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #648 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »
Horrible both ways.  Morning: big flakes of wet snow that got in my eyes, and the road was rapidly becoming slushy.  Couldn't use the psyclepaths because they were white (and the studded tyres are reserved for long snowy spells since it takes half an hour to fit them).

Evening: freezing headwind, mud, diesel, vacant locals walking in the middle of the road.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #649 on: 23 February, 2010, 08:26:44 am »
I believed a forecast of 'above freezing' and came in fixed.
This is what I have learnt today:

i) At 6.15 you are asleep. Plz to not be sleeping when the pedals wont stop turning  ::-)
ii) in the dark it doesn't look as icy as it does in daylight  :o
iii) 'one nation under a groove' is too slow for even the gentle-est downward slope on fixed  :facepalm:
iv) I should take up 'cross. That walk on the ice splattered crunchy verge with bike slung over the shoulder wasn't too shabby  :thumbsup:
v) That boss-type person drives far too quickly. He picked me up because I was walking past his house and then drove at 45mph on blind corners on a road that was too icy too cycle on.  :hand: