Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2490311 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #925 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:55:41 am »
Hundreds - I do not exaggerate at all - hundreds of cyclists on the road, especially near Stockwell.  Phenomenal sight.

Weird. There seemed to be fewer than normal on my route in. Though I did have a 'snap bikes' moment with a guy on the embankment - always nice to agree on each other's good taste  ;D

« Reply #926 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:19:38 am »
Pulled up next to a nice BMW convertible, chatting, and complimenting each others' rides.  Friendly guy, beautiful car.  The next second there are flashbulbs going off everywhere. I look to the other side, and there are like 100 tourists on the pavement all taking photos. The BMW driver was nonplussed, he didn't know what to do with so much attention despite having a convertible.  Upstaged by a peasant on a bicycle, LOL!

A five year old riding on the front footpegs of a BMX down Peckham High Street.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qNAiAmNjsyU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qNAiAmNjsyU&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #927 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:59:52 am »
I used to pick my (then soon to be) wife up from Brighton General, and come down Elm Grove with her on the back pegs, regularly having to pass cars and buses as we did 40mph down the hill. Must have been quite a sight with her in in nurses uniform. Getting round the corner at the Level was somewhat sketchy.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #928 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:21:22 pm »
Pulled up next to a nice BMW convertible, chatting, and complimenting each others' rides.  Friendly guy, beautiful car.  The next second there are flashbulbs going off everywhere. I look to the other side, and there are like 100 tourists on the pavement all taking photos. The BMW driver was nonplussed, he didn't know what to do with so much attention despite having a convertible.  Upstaged by a peasant on a bicycle, LOL!

A five year old riding on the front footpegs of a BMX down Peckham High Street.

YouTube
            - Child riding on BMX footpegs

What was going on at that set oflights (apart from the RLJ0?

« Reply #929 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »
You mean the car RLJing?  I think the driver got confused when the pedestrian lights on the other side of the junction changed.  Bad design perhaps, it's not the first time I've seen a driver get confused with that.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #930 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:35:01 pm »
Not strictly a commute, but....
I set off to go down to Horsham Folk Club, which is a short ride either side of the train to avoid the racetrack dual carriageway. I was passed at speed by HJ03VBY* , whose front passenger was leaning out and screaming the usual incomprehensible gibberish**. John, from the Folk Club, boarded at another station, and then the train stopped. Signals shagged....
It was,ofcourse, much nicer riding the rest of the way, till we got to the edge of town. There was a woman proceeding round a roundabout at about 3mph. No signals...she did a couple of loops, and then I saw why. She had slowed forsafety reasons,as the mobile pressed to her ear made it difficult to drive safely. I expressed my opinion loudly.
On into Horsham and over the little bridge before the station, then attack the town centre road. This comes to a set oflights with a left filter onto a dual carriageway. Just as we arrived we were overtaken by a Lancia,who slid to a halt across boath lanes at an angle because he wanted to beat us off from the lights. They changed, we went to the next lights...together. Then to the mini roundabout...together. He parked on the footpath and John and I just shook our heads.

*I spoke to my friendly traffic warden at work on the way in. "The car was weaving and speeding, looked like the driver might've been drinking"

**Probably something to do with road tax....

Tourist Tony

« Reply #931 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »
You mean the car RLJing?  I think the driver got confused when the pedestrian lights on the other side of the junction changed.  Bad design perhaps, it's not the first time I've seen a driver get confused with that.
...and the bike that sailed straight through!

« Reply #932 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:39:21 pm »
TBH I was more shocked at taking a 5 y/o on the footpegs.  Either I'm getting old, or it's because I've seen serious consequences from a similar situation.  I'd be seriously unhappy if someone took my child for a ride like that, one decent bounce and the child will be face first to the pavement with the bike going over her, never mind the traffic and highstreet.

Fluffy

« Reply #933 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:24:33 pm »
Speaking of footpegs, I was on them back when I was 7 years old, the rider went downhill on a sharp bend and i lost my footing, basically took all the skin of the insides of both legs.

« Reply #934 on: 22 March, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »
I passed 7 horses in a field, all with their bums facing towards me.  I nearly stopped to take a photo.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #935 on: 23 March, 2010, 10:41:28 am »
This morning, I crossed the level crossing, and saw a chap trying to get his chain back on.  I stopped to offer help, as it didn't look like he was carrying many tools.  I quickly noticed that the bike was a Colnago Arte bought at De Ver Cycles.  I also noticed that the rider was a voluble Italian, who explained how he'd been knocked off at the approach to the level crossing, and had a lot of verbal from the van driver.  He'd pointed out the CCTV and suggested the Police, and, when a street cleaner offered himself as a witness, the van driver quickly agreed to give his details.  I hope the rider doesn't get ripped off by a tosser giving him some false info, or fobbing him off once he realises that damaging a Colnago isn't a cheap mistake to make.  The rider seemed to have just a little bruising and I saw him riding a few minutes later.
Getting there...

« Reply #936 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:20:08 pm »
This morning was my fastest commute EVER! It was an average of 14.6 MPH which may not be much to a lot of people, but considering I've had some sub 10 mph rides, I'm really happy :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #937 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:26:28 pm »
This morning was my fastest commute EVER! It was an average of 14.6 MPH which may not be much to a lot of people, but considering I've had some sub 10 mph rides, I'm really happy :D.

SOME sub 10mph?  I aspire to one day cross that barrier :) 

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #938 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:32:31 pm »
I passed 7 horses in a field, all with their bums facing towards me.  I nearly stopped to take a photo.

I never had you pegged as a keen amateur equine proctologist  ;)

« Reply #939 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:54:23 pm »
This morning I was pedaling along and started to really enjoy my position on the bike.
I now have everything just as I want it.
It is even starting to look more minimalistic with fewer batteries hanging off etc.
Very nice indeed  :D

« Reply #940 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »
Closest shave for a long time this morning. Heading east on Lower Richmond Road, approaching end of queues at the lights, Addison Lee Galaxy obviously sees the queues and decides on an abrupt left across me. Inches  :( and nothing I could have done if it had been closer.

« Reply #941 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »
Riding home last night, tailwind, rocking along with good visibility. Coming up to a sliproad, I could see a queue of cars approaching the sliproad. 'bu&&er' thinks I, I'll have to duck between them. First car undertakes me, I signal left. 2nd car comes alongside, driver looks at me. Then she slows down and stays alongside me.  ffs, I was doing 30 (it's downhill), I don't if she expected me to speed up and cross in front of her or what. Eventually I slowed a bit and she got the message and sped up so I could get across behind her.

Here
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.875297,-1.265665&spn=0.002195,0.005429&t=k&z=18
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #942 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »

SOME sub 10mph?  I aspire to one day cross that barrier :)  
Read 'some' as 'rather a lot' ;). The tail wind today helped :D.

I did overtake a chap on a fairly fast-looking giant road bike though. This was good :thumbsup:.
Also bear in mind that with a 16 mile round trip commute, I really do feel that I ought to be a bit faster. I usually just dally. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #943 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:49:44 pm »
Dally you say.I usually do "slow dally":"medium dally" & "stopped".If there is a need to hurry up I can do a "fast dally" which fortuitously equates to an audax minimum speed(15kmh) so that with cake stops I can get round a 100k audax & finish not too much out of time

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #944 on: 23 March, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »
*Looks out of widow - notices umbrellas being deployed.*

*Checks Will it Rain Today? | Rain radar for the UK | Going to rain? | Meteogroup *

Bugger.  I've come in on a bike that doesn't have mudguards.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #945 on: 23 March, 2010, 04:16:08 pm »
I passed 7 horses in a field, all with their bums facing towards me.  I nearly stopped to take a photo.

But you were quite content with the mental pictures.  ;D

You should show your post to your colleagues.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #946 on: 23 March, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »
*Looks out of widow - *

Errr....?
Getting there...

« Reply #947 on: 23 March, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »
*Looks out of widow - *

Errr....?

Perfectly possible if you're Ed Gein.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #948 on: 23 March, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #949 on: 23 March, 2010, 05:39:34 pm »
On the commute today I never wore any cycling shorts.
 :o

seeing as my commute to work from my new house is under 1.5 miles each way, I may as well cycle in work clothes rather than lycra!   ;)