Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462664 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1050 on: 31 March, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »
Well the weather here's either been heavy rain or heavy snow with gale force northerly winds so I've taken the car to work. The path I use on my commute even got on the news (0:48 onwards) because of flooding.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Fluffy

« Reply #1051 on: 31 March, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »
Got my new road tyres today, 26x1.75 Continental City Contact with kevlar protection, replaced my awful puncture loving knobblies 26.x2.1 Continental Speed Kings.

The difference is immense, it felt like the tyres were flat at one point the ride is that smooth. Takes me half the effort to get up to 20 mph on flats now, hopefully they actually are puncture resistant.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1052 on: 31 March, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »
Cold and wet (but not as wet as yesterday), nice tailwind not looking forward to the ride home.

Cold and wet (but not as wet as yesterday), nice tailwind horrible headwind not looking forward to the ride home.

;D

Well if your run home if half as good as my run home was bad you'll have a smile on your face!!

That was truly a slog into the wind, no fun at all.

« Reply #1053 on: 31 March, 2010, 07:01:11 pm »
Smile on my face here !!   Up around the 23mph mark for a lot of it.
Rust never sleeps

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1054 on: 31 March, 2010, 08:01:58 pm »
Although it rained on and off all day, I managed to avoid all the rain on my four mini-commutes!  :D 

I think it's weather karma, to compensate for the ride to the swimming pool last night.  I swear I got slightly drier getting into the pool than I was after the ride there.  In a leaky cheapo 'waterproof' jacket and jeans.  Wet denim is not nice to ride in!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1055 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
Why did I remove my race blades?

« Reply #1056 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:21:31 pm »
Hah! I have been luxuriating in full-mudguard-dryness for days  :smug:

« Reply #1057 on: 01 April, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »
On a country lane I saw a young lad (late teens) on the phone, standing by the side of the road next to his upturned road bike with the front wheel off. I asked if he needed help, it turned out he had no tyre levers with him so was calling for a lift home.

I offered him mine, and waited whilst he removed the tyre and tube completely from the wheel. He then carefully wrapped the new tube around the rim, and started to try to fit the tyre - without checking for sharps still in.

I bit my tongue for a bit, then asked if he minded if I showed him an easier way (it's awkward bringing up a subject like that, it's a bit like saying they are incompetent). He gratefully accepted, saying it was only the second puncture he'd sorted and it had been really hard last time! I showed him how to do it right, then we rode back together for a bit (he lives in the next village over from mine) - a really nice lad, I hope I bump into him again on my commute.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1058 on: 01 April, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »
3rd night in a row now that I have cycled home over the hills into the teeth of a gale laden with snow - not sticking to road, but a little uncomfortable....  :)

« Reply #1059 on: 01 April, 2010, 07:37:05 pm »
This morning.  Tabbynwhite invader gets into the garage as I'm trying to get the bike out and starts 'playing'.  When (s)he hides behind the freezer I call MrsC for assistance and set off for work.  Although I'm now running late it wasn't too bad a ride.  More traffic than I really like but I can cope.

Get to work.  No keys.  Phone MrsC to make sure she doesn't leave the house and lock them in. Ride back home.  Get keys.  Ride back to work.  So no early finish for me today.   :-\

But, just to ensure this doesn't get moved into a rant thread, the ride home was good, despite being into a headwind. 

And we got a just-less-than-ten miler in at lunchtime.   :D

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1060 on: 06 April, 2010, 08:50:11 am »
Finally lost my rag with Menzies Aviation bus drivers.

The twunt this morning overtook me on a r/b then cut me up at the exit to said r/b....

Strongly worded letter sent to said bus company....

After that the rest of the ride in was an oasis of calm :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1061 on: 06 April, 2010, 09:50:08 am »
Odd commute, as I took the train with the lad and a folder.  Rode in to work through Vauxhall (How I hate that junction!) and Waterloo, where I went the wrong way :-[

Still, go to work OK, if a bit late...
Getting there...

« Reply #1062 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:23:24 am »
...and Waterloo, where I went the wrong way :-[

There's something about the roads near railway stations.  They always seem to be tortuously designed with multiple no-entries, one-ways, and lots of signs limiting whether you can go down there depending on whether you're a bus, taxi, mere-mortal in a car, or pedestrian (cyclists are of course rarely mentioned).

I've got lost around most of Londons railway stations now, mainly since I only very occasionally use them, although I was impressively organised with London Bridge and St Pancras the last time I visited, mainly through having lots of spare time to get lost in, so of course I didn't need it!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1063 on: 06 April, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »
There's something about the roads near railway stations.  They always seem to be tortuously designed with multiple no-entries, one-ways, and lots of signs limiting whether you can go down there depending on whether you're a bus, taxi, mere-mortal in a car, or pedestrian (cyclists are of course rarely mentioned).
Reminds me of a time (several decades ago) when I arrived at Reading by train.  The roads round the station were so confusing that I'd done two complete laps of the one way system before I saw my turning, which was about five lanes over, so I had to go all the way round for a third time!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1064 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:24:56 am »
(This might belong in the Rant thread.  Do we have a bike-specific rant page, rather than the one in the Pub?)

Driver of Blue Golf S11 EBE.

You are not behind the wheel of a Taxi.
You are not behind the wheel of a Bus.
You are not riding a bicycle.

So what, in the name of Satan's Suppurating Sphincter, makes you think you can use the Bike/Bus/Taxi-only turn?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1065 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:52:41 am »
First commute on the bike for 6 weeks as I've been on paternity leave.  Sunny, not too cold, but road works and closed roads.  Still, my detour meant that I discovered a couple of new roads that I did not know about.  Still puzzled about when they will make their minds up about what sort of speed bumps will be installed in the cycle lane in Rotten Row (Hyde Park, London). 
Peter

« Reply #1066 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:57:10 am »
During the weekend folly my right shoe tongue rubbed a sore on the front of my ankle.
Yesterday it was really painful and swollen with infection.
I tried to release it but now it is worse.  I slept terribly.
My diabetic right leg is always the problem.
No commute today for me, working from home so I can go to the clinic.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1067 on: 07 April, 2010, 08:34:11 am »
Warm feet today and yesterday.  Lovely.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1068 on: 07 April, 2010, 09:05:01 am »
I was going to take the Orbea on the commute today.  It has a new toy on it.  An altimeter/stop watch/HRM cycle computer from Lidl.  But the ground was too wet so it's gonna have to wait.  I used the Roadrat with enormous mudguards as usual

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1069 on: 07 April, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
Fred took me up the hill to a hospital appointment this morning, then rushed me in to work.  Reasonably fast.  One chain unshipment.  Pretty uneventful.  I didn't notice Balham Hill.

I like riding bicycles, I do :)
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1070 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Quite eventful...

Right overshoe

Left overshoe

Left shoe sole scrapes

Right shoe sole scrapes

Back of right lower calf

:( :(

I was putting down the power out of the saddle taking off from a big junction, focussing on the simultaneous pull/push of a proper sprint, when I yanked my right shoe out of the pedal on the upstroke.

The movie of that pro-cyclist who does the same thing and narrowly misses a lampost sprang to mind as my right foot skimmed along the tarmac. I so so nearly managed to save it, but my toe caught on a lump in the road and my leg was dragged backwards into the chainring (hence the calf damage). My balls were being firmly squished on the top tube at this point and the jolt made my left foot came unclipped which left me clinging onto the bars, sitting on the toptube with my feet dragging on either side of the rear wheel 'superman' style. The angle that I was at meant that I couldn't reach the brake levers, so had to simply hang on.

After much grinding and scraping I managed to pilot my stricken steed to the kerb which arrested my forward progress and dumped me in a heap on the pavement.

I was in quite some pain from the chainring bite and from the landing and stayed down and still until I could work out if anything was badly hurt. After beating every other cyclist apart from Emily off the line, a good 8 cyclists had seen events unfold and most of them stopped to see if I was ok which was heartening. There was a mildly amusing convo with a nice lady who came over and said that she was a first aider, I said that I was too and that I thought that I was find, I'd just taken a knock.

No damage to the bike, but those overshoes are gonners and I'm quite impressed with the amount of shoe missing! Somehow my bib-tights haven't got a mark on them despite what my leg shows.

My leg aches now, but no real damage has been done.

Waaaay too much excitement for a commute.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1071 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:31:48 pm »
Ouch.  Glad you managed to get out of the traffic before downing.  Hope it heals quickly.

That could leave you with a funky scar, mind.
Getting there...

« Reply #1072 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:33:28 pm »
Ow bugger!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1073 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »
focussing on the simultaneous pull/push of a proper sprint, when I yanked my right shoe out of the pedal on the upstroke.

You need a dose of souplesse. 

I'll send you some in a pill.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1074 on: 07 April, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »
that's why the track sprinters use straps as well. Roadman sprinters don't start from stationary.