Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484890 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1300 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:28:13 am »
That was wet

It seems my new leg warmers bead off small amounts of rain nicely but are not of course water proof :)

« Reply #1301 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:30:07 am »
I stopped off to vote on my way in to work.

So did I. The bods counting polling numbers at the exit were a very handy replacement for a bike lock. Thanks chaps  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1302 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:37:37 am »
Our polling station is a primary school with hooped (if low & bolted down ) Sheffields under a canopy :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #1303 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:01:14 am »
Bah - got horn blown at me, and resorted to flipping off motorist.

There are a few sliproads to cross on my route. Usual tactic is to look for a gap in traffic, indicate and nip across - should be fine.

This morn I looked behind me, 3 cars back (a long way back) there is a car indicating left to pull into the sliproad. They were straddling the line between sliproad and the main road.
So I indicated, and nipped right, joining main carriageway. 40 yards further on, car undertakes, slows down and hammers their horn. wtf?  If I'd waited for them to overtake, I'd have been going up the sliproad!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1304 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:33:12 am »
Our polling station is a primary school with hooped (if low & bolted down ) Sheffields under a canopy :thumbsup:

When I was at young Hywel Dda primary school would have been the polling station but George Thomas, MP for Cardiff West was the Speaker so was unopposed. Result I did not get a day off school  >:(  Hence my jaundiced view of elections.

This morning I voted. Just the Conservative party bloke had arrived outside to guard my bike so I gave him my voter number and entered to make my vote.  Afterwards I rode on a road I have never ridden before . I have been living in Radyr for a quarter of century but to my delight I had never ridden or walked along than section of road.(in that direction)

« Reply #1305 on: 06 May, 2010, 12:37:48 pm »
Interestingly there were a load of police bods at Thornton Heath Pond, with a small car transporter, so I suspect that somewhere there was one of those camera cars catching plates so they could stop people with no record of MOT / VED / Insurance etc.  I was very glad that my stopping at the lights etc was scrupulously correct (not that it normally isn't).

For the first time in over two years of passing it every day, I actually saw a Fire Tender leave the Fire Station at Norbury with lights going and sirens blaring.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1306 on: 06 May, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »
I stopped off to vote on my way in to work.

So did I. The bods counting polling numbers at the exit were a very handy replacement for a bike lock. Thanks chaps  :thumbsup:
One of my colleagues did the same.  I just took my bike in with me.
(It's our village hall, I'm the chair of the committee, my wife is the secretary and the presiding officer for the election, so I wasn't anticipating a problem  ;D )

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1307 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
So, there we were on the way home tonight, sat behind a bus in Old York Road.

We were waiting behind it because it had it's right hand indicator on, and because we could see another bus coming the other way (the road bends to the right), and the road there is only wide enough (just!) for one bus.

A cyclist in his trendy skateboard helmet and wearing hi-vis came past and then went down the right hand side of the bus - halfway down he realised that if he went any further he would be squashed between the two busses (they were both now moving and he was in a small gap between them), so he stopped.

As we went past him, following the bus, he said to us "It's lethal here isn't it?"

Paging Mr. Darwin, paging Mr. Darwin.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #1308 on: 06 May, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »
As we went past him, following the bus, he said to us "It's lethal here isn't it?"

Paging Mr. Darwin, paging Mr. Darwin.

Send him thisaway, his house is only just around the corner.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1309 on: 07 May, 2010, 12:04:06 pm »
Nice ride in, though a bit of a slog into the headwind.

Emily totally pwned me on the blast up Kennington Road. I stayed level with her for most of it, but blew up at the final 100m and dropped behind so fast that I couldn't even catch her draft :'(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #1310 on: 07 May, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »
Saw a RLJ totally caught out going south down Kennington Road at the Imperial War Museum junction. He nipped through on red, saw two police on bikes on t'other road waiting for the lights to change and had to stop in the middle because the lights  changed and traffic started flowing east-west while he was midway through the junction.  Police, looking akin to fishermen who have had a fish suddenly jump into the boat. waved him over to the pavement for a chat and hopefully ticket.

« Reply #1311 on: 07 May, 2010, 07:37:58 pm »
Just the usual ride home for me ... except that I took it easy.
No big ring, no chasing other cyclists, no keeping pace with the cars, easy does it on the hills.
I'm not sure I'm cut out for this, I did it, but I've not needed willpower like that since I gave up smoking.

« Reply #1312 on: 07 May, 2010, 08:12:20 pm »
Big diesel spill up the A233 near Fishponds, stopped to phone it in, and a fire engine turned up as they'd already been called.  I didn't realise it was diesel until my bike felt like it had a puncture.

Then saw a driver of a small white van with a smashed up front, bumper grinding along the road and half under the right front tyre, trailing a smell of burning tyre.  I reckon either a hit and run driver, or a drunk driver.  It was making an appalling noise.

Oh, and these two sets of red light jumpers:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYiPxrH62vM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/sYiPxrH62vM&rel=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TpX71Qq0wNk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TpX71Qq0wNk&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1313 on: 10 May, 2010, 08:10:36 am »
Another cold ride in.
Roll on warm mornings.
Nice and bright tho' and only one car in the first 8 or 9 miles.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1314 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:30:53 am »
I pointed out to a bloke on a folder this morning that he was cycling on a flat rear tyre. He said he knew.
He caught up with me again at the next set of lights, still cycling on his flat. I suggested he might knacker his rim if he went any further on it, and pointed out the nearest bike shop, 20m away (as he clearly didn't have the kit/know what to do, because he would have stopped and fixed it if that was the case). I do hope he went to the bike shop rather than continuing to grind away at his rim  :hand:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1315 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:50:24 am »
As I was cycling this morning on a recently stolen folding bicycle, some busy-body pointed out that I had a flat tyre. "Hey" I thought "I don't care, it's not my bike". Instead, I just politely said I was aware of the situation young lady.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1316 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:55:03 am »
Nice to have met you, Riggers. Quite slow and obstinate, aren't you ;D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1317 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:35:40 am »
Very enjoyable ride in this morning.  On Friday Pink,White and Blue bike's bottom bracket collapsed so has gone to the not very local bicycle rest home to recover.  So this morning I had to use Red bike. I never seem to go out on weekends anymore. It is almost a year since Red bike was last used.  At first my legs were a little confused by the easy pedaling.  I believe of my three bikes the theoretical speed should be similar.  However when I am cruising along Dawes Discovery 101 [bikeicide in progress] tells me to slow down, Pink White and Blue bike tells me this is nice but Red bike tells me faster faster faster!  I am moving relatively fast (for me) so have to get used to cars pulling in before they are fully past me. As I approached a roundabout where I normally use secondary position plus to put cars where I want them, Red bike decided the best way to control the traffic would to move as fast as them so I pedal like I used to when I was younger and the I speak thy sloth device on the handle bars showed that I was moving above 30mph. I conclude I am not as unfit as I think I am, that was fun! Must use Red bike more.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1318 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
Red bikes are fast.  I don't have any red bikes.  That is why I am slow ;)

But, white van wazzocks aside, it was a good ride in.  Traffic felt quite quiet, but still enough to make car driving frustrating, it seemed.

Saw lots of nice bikes and happy people.  Coldish, but I had an extra layer, so I was fine.  And the sun was shining :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #1319 on: 10 May, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »
Grrr!

Today is the second time in three years I have diverted to the Police Station on hte commute.

Last time Wokingham police (TV) listened to my complaint, and attempted to confirm the report by tallying the remembered numberplate with the database - OK my memory was off but I felt like the copper was at least trying.

Today I entered Camberley Police Sation (Surrey) and said I would like to report two incidents of inconsiderate driving and was told I was reporting dangerous driving. I was then handed a single form (note I was reporting 2 incidents) and when I requested a pen was told as the form was so long (4 sides of A4) I should take it away to complete.

Thank goodness the incidents occured in Sunningdale, I shall now have to report them to TV and see if either driver gets their collar felt.

For the record:

Incident 1: - BMW X6 - Maroon - passed me whilst we crossed the pedestial crossing outside waitrose on the A30. West bound. Thank goodness those things make so much tyre noise. I heard him coming and was therefore able to flinch left to the kerb. Unfortunately that dumped me in all the potholes at the junction with Ridgemount Road.

Incident 2: Mitsubushi Gallant RX55... - mid Grey - There was a vehicle waiting to turn right Major to Minor across our path. There was not enough space between them and the left kerb for both a bike and a car and I got there first so wait your turn.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1320 on: 10 May, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »
I have to own up to nearly crashing into a BMW X5 on the way in this morning, and it was all my own fault for being stupid and showing off.

There I was cycling along in the bus lane, no hands. The BMW was waiting to pull out of the next turning on the left (looking like it was going to be patient and wait for me to pass).

When I got level with the turning the wind blowing out of it hit me and as my rapidly clenching cheeks corrected, I swung left and until I got my hands back on the bars I was heading straight for the X5.

Note to self: Pride : Fall.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1321 on: 10 May, 2010, 06:33:43 pm »
Not a bad ride in really.....Things took a downward turn when I got to work to unpack the saddle bag.  I'd fallen for the 'involuntarily going  commando' gambit.

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.

« Reply #1322 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:24:02 am »
Nearly home last night, see glaring orangey pink bike with riser bars being ridden along the pavement. Single speed. No brakes.

They should be shot for riding a bike that colour.  Then buried at a crossroads during a full moon for riding single speed, brakeless on the pavement.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1323 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:37:35 am »
In the 20mph zone, doing 20mph and a Mercedes pulls out from a side turning just as I am there.  Naturally I accellerate to stay ahead but the bloody Merc breaks the speed limit to go past me.  So it tries to cut me up and then breaks the speed limit

Obviously a heart surgeon on a mercy mission to save a small child.  He is the only one in the world who can do it.  And he is in love with the childs mother.

« Reply #1324 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:42:34 am »
20mph zones, Hah.

Exhibition Road is a 20mph area, and has been for some time now. Nothing sticks to the 20mph speed limit.  The buses don't, the taxi don't, and of course no commercial vehicle or private car keeps to it.  They may as well have not bothered, an utter waste of time.
Actually, it is rocket science.