Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487776 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1350 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »
Having a Google and read about it, whilst the information on Emergency Vehicle incidents is not that good, a couple of things were apparent.

Compared to other classes of vehicles, a higher proportion of incidents involve excess speed, although this is clearly the nature of the beast, so hardly that surprising.

Similarly a higher proportion of incidents also involve fatalities, which I'd attribute to the previous fact, since the faster you're going, the more serious any collision is likely to be.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1351 on: 17 May, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »
For the first time this year I took an unplanned extension as the weather was so lovely.

Sorry childers, you'll be doing your own tea more often now it's summer.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1352 on: 17 May, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »
Having a Google and read about it, whilst the information on Emergency Vehicle incidents is not that good, a couple of things were apparent.

Compared to other classes of vehicles, a higher proportion of incidents involve excess speed, although this is clearly the nature of the beast, so hardly that surprising.

Similarly a higher proportion of incidents also involve fatalities, which I'd attribute to the previous fact, since the faster you're going, the more serious any collision is likely to be.

So true.

Generally I find ES vehicles driven on blues of the highest standard.

From signing up for the rapid response driving course with BRC I have been told in no uncertain tones that I will need to log a minimum of 100hrs behind the wheel of a BRC vehicle, with an instructor present, before I will even make the training list for rapid response.

It's a good policy, IMO. Driving is a serious business at the best of times.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1353 on: 17 May, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
I've seen quite a few scarily fast police blues & twos of late. Obviously these are trained drivers and I'm sure if I was the unfortunate person waiting for help I'd want them to be going as quickly as safely possible, but I do sometimes wonder about the risks being taken. For instance, there is little account given for those of us who have poor hearing and / or poor ability to tell where sounds are coming from.
+1 I have minimal hearing in my right ear-  I can hear a siren but I find it impossible to identify the direction it's coming from. I often just get off the road and wait on the pavement till the vehicle has passed.  I do feel a bit daft sometimes when it comes hurtling past on the other side of the Old Kent Road, at the point where it's about two lanes wide each way.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1354 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
Decided to take the scenic route both to and from work today - I wonder if the legs will last till Friday??  :P

« Reply #1355 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:47:20 am »
Today, Parks Police in Battersea Park were stopping and fining cyclists who were cycling on no-cycling paths.

Good.

« Reply #1356 on: 18 May, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »
I had to cycle with my mouth shut for most of the journey home.  Sunshine and Cowslip meant bugs galore  :facepalm:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1357 on: 18 May, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »
Yesterday I made the mistake of commuting in a yellow top - despite an average 15.5 mph, I was covered in greenfly when I got home.

Today, I wore a blue/white one - no bugs.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

gordon taylor

« Reply #1358 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:58:58 pm »
Ah yes. Bugs and more bugs today.

Swallow them quickly - that's my current technique.  :sick:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1359 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »

Swallow them quickly - that's my current technique.  :sick:

particularly  :sick: if you are vegetarian or some other type of no-meat eater

« Reply #1360 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:50:39 pm »
Only one got in but I caught it quick enough to spit / pick out - which is no mean feat wearing long fingered gloves  ;D  I was too close to the sewage works to swallow it.

« Reply #1361 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
There was a crash on Clapham Common this morning. It seemed to have been caused by a dog.

I missed the actual crash, but there was a very, very angry man in a suit shouting at a woman holding the dog. She was saying it wasn't her dog, so not quite sure where the dog owner was.

I have no idea what actually happened, but every morning I have to deal with dog walkers who think that standing having a chat by the cycle path makes sense. When i walk my dog, the last thing I want to do is hang around with traffic, of any sort!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1362 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:06:49 am »
Slightly scary moment when I moved to overtake a bus this morning on the Lambeth Road. It was at a stop and there was another bus coming the other way, but I was going at a fair lick and so I felt I had time to get past safely.

Except the bus I was overtaking started to pull out, making the gap suddenly somewhat narrower. It was only after I slammed on the anchors that he started indicating. ::)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1363 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:09:43 am »
I had a wonderful ride this morning.  Sunny, fast, reasonably clear, no more than a handful of incredibly stupid motorists, and even the comedy roadworks didn't seem so bad this morning.  It kinda flowed, so, despite my breathing problems, and a lot of red traffic lights, I got a good average.  :)
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1364 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:56:17 am »
I had a wonderful ride this morning.

Yeah, me too, despite the aforementioned bus incident.

I normally do my chauffeur thing on Wednesday mornings but didn't have to today, which I realised just in time to make a dash for the early train*, so for once I had time to get off at Bromley and ride the rest of the way. And what a beautiful day for it. Overtook hundreds of cars.  :thumbsup:

d.

*4.4km in 9 mins 1 sec, max speed 66km/h, average a shade under 30 - that was fun! Got to the station at exactly the same time as the train. Perfect!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1365 on: 19 May, 2010, 12:10:34 pm »
On Friday, Betty Swollox reminded me why I don't usually commute in civvies  :-X

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1366 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »
Whilst I was filtering up the middle of the road, Mr WVM in front of me decided to throw out of his window an almost full packet of crisps.  I think they were aimed at me, although he threw them when I was still 2-3 metres behind him. 

Unfortunately by the time I'd stopped and scooped up the packet, he'd wound his window up.  He still got a sarcastic comment from me, asking if he wanted his litter back, before I pootled off past the queue and dropped it in a bin.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1367 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:32:34 pm »
Absolutely lovely ride in - great tail wind, sunshine, birdsong, flowers...cool :). The only upset was the aftermath of a crash near Figgs Marsh - debris all over the road, fire engine, ambulance, police, smashed up motor bike, man being loaded onto stretcher :(. Hope he was ok. I couldn't see what other vehicle was involved - but judging by the spread of litter, there must have been some speed involved somewhere. :-\
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #1368 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »
Lots of lovely things today, starting with a Mercian being ridden round Hyde Park Corner, then a Segway coming out of Hyde Park on to Hyde Park Corner - and not crossing through the middle but also being ridden around it!

Past a horse and carriage; several soldiers on horseback; up Hyde Park where a cyclist came on a recumbent style bike but rowing rather than pedalling.

Then to the school where one of the pupils wants to learn to ride on road on a single-gear bicycle like this one  ::-)

On the way back a tramp on a bike with dozens of bags tied to it making it a good wide load!
And a police trike (one of those motorbikes with two wheels at the front and one at the back).

Si_Co

« Reply #1369 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:49:16 pm »
What a wonderful journey home!

Glorious sunshine, flew up the hill, feared the worst when a shiny Nissan? warrior, complete with bull bars appeared over my shoulder for the descent , but a glance gives a friendly nod :o, and a realisation that 30mph is fast enough through the S-bends and blind hairpin whilst we all enjoy the glint on the lake.

Bring on the sunshine :thumbsup:

« Reply #1370 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
Overcast coming home so not so many bugs.
I had a bit of an energy deficit from such a strong ride in too.

« Reply #1371 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:11:26 pm »
Fastest commute of the year so far, well happy.  My summer fitness is coming on tune nicely.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1372 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:01:02 am »
First day riding in to work wearing shorts.
I've ridden home lots of times in shorts but it's just that bit cooler in the morning and I am a wimp
But today the air is warm even with a bit of speed up

« Reply #1373 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:14:08 am »
Indeed. My leg coverings are shrinking on a weekly basis. If this carries on I'll be riding in a thong come August.
Apologies for the mental image chaps, rest assured *that* will not be happening.

« Reply #1374 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:35:19 am »
I'm quite disappointed that I only managed 40.6 miles of my commute yesterday, with a brief stop over at a pub on the way.  I must try harder. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.