Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1620645 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #13750 on: 17 September, 2021, 08:53:44 am »

Thus, I may be looking for a new drill this afternoon…. One with a chuck operated with a key.
It is possible to change the chucks on some drills. There is a screw down the middle which can be accessed with the chuck fully open.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13751 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:37:45 am »
Probably the last warm sunny spell of the year, so a nice quiet contemplation in the garden.
Except not.  Near neighbours are having work done and so I unwillingly have to listen to Radio Builder.
Radio Builder is really A Thing, except it’s called Fix Radio, set up by Charlie Mullins, the racist, homophobic, Covidiot, Brexshit supporter, of Pimlico Plumbers fame.
We're for builders, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, roofers, painters, decorators, plasterers scaffolders - in fact, anyone who makes their living on the tools.

FTFY...   ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13752 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:57:24 am »
Probably the last warm sunny spell of the year, so a nice quiet contemplation in the garden.
Except not.  Near neighbours are having work done and so I unwillingly have to listen to Radio Builder.
Radio Builder is really A Thing, except it’s called Fix Radio, set up by Charlie Mullins, the racist, homophobic, Covidiot, Brexshit supporter, of Pimlico Plumbers fame.
We're for builders, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, roofers, painters, decorators, plasterers scaffolders - in fact, anyone who makes their living on the tools.

FTFY...   ;)

Wiki and The Guardian (amongst others) would dispute your Brexit supporter claim:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/05/millionaire-refuses-take-down-bollocks-brexit-poster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Mullins

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

« Reply #13753 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:02:04 am »
Radio Builder is really A Thing, except it’s called Fix Radio, set up by Charlie Mullins, the racist, homophobic, Covidiot, former Brexshit supporter, of Pimlico Plumbers fame.

FTFY...   ;)

Wiki and The Guardian (amongst others) would dispute your Brexit supporter claim:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/05/millionaire-refuses-take-down-bollocks-brexit-poster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Mullins

He originally supported it... until he realised how it would impact his business.  He then flipped.  I've amended my amendment to include 'former'.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13754 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:54:45 am »

FTFY...   ;)
I have a feeling he flipped on the covid thing and Pimlico Plumbers became one of the first businesses to mandate vaccines and masks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #13755 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:04:25 am »

FTFY...   ;)
I have a feeling he flipped on the covid thing and Pimlico Plumbers became one of the first businesses to mandate vaccines and masks.

He sacked workers who were hesitant about coming back to work and he criticised the extension of furlough - all whilst sat in his villa in Spain.  I think he moved the supporting vaccines and masks as it impacted his bottom line, as customers were requiring them.

We won't use them now, despite the company being local to the flat in London and their staff generally being good, due to his behaviour over a range of issues in recent years. 

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #13756 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:12:46 am »
Just a question here.

'We' are anti-Brexit, pro-vaccine, pro-sanity folks, in the main. It's what happens when you get an education, mostly.

If we hate people who have idiotic views, shouldn't we celebrate them changing their mind? Isn't that, in fact, the goal of Brexit I told you So, That's how vaccines work, etc etc?

Seems very harsh if 'we' get our goal of persuading folks to 'our' world view, and then condemning them for flip-floppery?

Regulator

« Reply #13757 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:22:23 am »
Just a question here.

'We' are anti-Brexit, pro-vaccine, pro-sanity folks, in the main. It's what happens when you get an education, mostly.

If we hate people who have idiotic views, shouldn't we celebrate them changing their mind? Isn't that, in fact, the goal of Brexit I told you So, That's how vaccines work, etc etc?

Seems very harsh if 'we' get our goal of persuading folks to 'our' world view, and then condemning them for flip-floppery?

I'm not condemning him for flip-floppery.  I dislike him for being a c*nt!

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #13758 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:27:28 am »
Just a question here.

It's modern life isn't it? You can't change an opinion on account that having the opinion in the first place is indelible. Witness the common sport of trawling through people's social media for that one flippant comment back in 2012.

If you're very right, and not just right, but righteously right, then everyone else isn't just wrong, they're morally wrong and are thus an enemy to be defeated. There's certainly no middle ground for fear of tainting that righteousness.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #13759 on: 17 September, 2021, 01:03:28 pm »
If you're very right, and not just right, but righteously right, then everyone else isn't just wrong, they're morally wrong and are thus an enemy to be defeated. There's certainly no middle ground for fear of tainting that righteousness.

Which is, of course, the mindset of the modern Tory
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #13760 on: 17 September, 2021, 01:20:02 pm »
To be honest, it seems to apply evenly to either pole of opinion.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #13761 on: 17 September, 2021, 09:07:04 pm »
Quote from: ian
Aye.  There is no monopoly on mindless adherance to dogma.  Hmmm, that sounds like it should be a line in a Billy Bragg song.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13762 on: 17 September, 2021, 10:53:14 pm »
Quote from: ian
Aye.  There is no monopoly on mindless adherance to dogma.  Hmmm, that sounds like it should be a line in a Billy Bragg song.
It probably is, just not one he’s published, or one that didn’t do so well
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13763 on: 18 September, 2021, 08:09:02 am »
Bloody Chinese ebay seller - again:  Bought a switch "despatched from London" . . . .  but again this turned out not to be true as nothing turned up for 3 weeks despite there being a "received at depot" on the tracking from Yodel in Hayes, Middx.    Are these people just liars or incompetent, or both (and I mean the seller - I know Yodel is hopeless)

Anyway I got a refund today withe the usual disjointed message text from this type of Chinese seller . . . .  Aaaaargh! - why do I buy this stuff?

What's really annoying is that the switch is for a woodwork machine I need to use NOW - looks like a bit of choc-block conecting and using the wall socket switch for on/off until I can get a proper switch.

« Reply #13764 on: 20 September, 2021, 07:08:37 am »
This is more a random moan about the bleedin' pandemic than my daughter, but...

Little Miss CAMRAMan; it's unfortunate that you have a bad cold, but the symptoms match Covid, so it's off to a PCR test for you. You're in such a state that the school would turn you away and insist you do the same anyway.

Being a petulant, obstinate so-and-so won't make you feel better - quite the reverse, but I understand your frustration, so take the Lem-Sip, breathe in the Olbas Oil and let's get to the test centre to hopefully discover the result is negative in due course. If the pharmacy can suggest anything to help your breathing, so much the better.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13765 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:43:45 am »
Can someone please tell me why, in this computer riddled age, that every box of my standing medication has got a leaflet in it with the side effects of and rules pertaining to that particular drug.

Every 8 weeks I get 6 boxes of levoththyroxin, (three different sized tabs). It’s bad enough that the tablets are individually wrapped in blister packs, but every box contains an identical copy of the same leaflet. I’ve been taking levothyroxin for over 20 years. If the instructions do change for some reason, I’m unlikely to pick up on it because I’ve been dumping the leaflets for over 19 years and 11 months still folded up. I get at least two boxes of each of the other meds on my repeat ‘script also with their leaflets.

It’s infuriating when even I can think of two different solutions without even going to the trouble of a brainstorming session.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13766 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:51:21 am »
Can someone please tell me why, in this computer riddled age, that every box of my standing medication has got a leaflet in it with the side effects of and rules pertaining to that particular drug.

CYA procedure, so that you can't claim you haven't been warned.

What pisses me off is that some drugs come in multiples of 28 and some in multiples of 30, so that they never all run out at the same time.  After taking them for untold years one of mine is over a month out of step with the rest.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13767 on: 20 September, 2021, 12:38:35 pm »
What pisses me off is that some drugs come in multiples of 28 and some in multiples of 30, so that they never all run out at the same time.  After taking them for untold years one of mine is over a month out of step with the rest.

Assuming the prescriber gets the numbers right (which is a big ask given a GP whose skill set includes neither accurate mental arithmetic nor smooth operation of babbage-engines), this usually gets fixed by pharmacists taking scissors to the blister packs and giving you weird numbers of pills in generic boxes.  I assume the rest ends up in the bin.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13768 on: 20 September, 2021, 12:49:27 pm »
Ah. Not here, you just have to live with it. Still, the main thing is that you end up getting them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13769 on: 20 September, 2021, 01:00:56 pm »

Assuming the prescriber gets the numbers right (which is a big ask given a GP whose skill set includes neither accurate mental arithmetic nor smooth operation of babbage-engines), this usually gets fixed by pharmacists taking scissors to the blister packs and giving you weird numbers of pills in generic boxes.  I assume the rest ends up in the bin.
With photocopies of the instructions!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #13770 on: 20 September, 2021, 02:11:06 pm »
It would be useful if the medication had a tactile + QR code taking you directly to the instructions which could be then made accessible to people who can't read TINY text, need to use assistive tech, and if available there could be BSL and Easy Read options to...

Honestly wouldn't be hard, but would need consistent political will and enforcement.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13771 on: 20 September, 2021, 02:21:00 pm »
Grumble 1.  Day 2 PCR test kit didn't arrive.  Supplier nagged.  I wonder if I'm adding to the 300,000 naughty people statistic.

Grumble 2.  Yesterday I cleaned my solar panels.  Last night Pegasus roosted in the tree above.  Today I cleaned my solar panels.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #13772 on: 20 September, 2021, 02:34:58 pm »
It would be useful if the medication had a tactile + QR code taking you directly to the instructions which could be then made accessible to people who can't read TINY text, need to use assistive tech, and if available there could be BSL and Easy Read options to...

Honestly wouldn't be hard, but would need consistent political will and enforcement.

It's already a logistical challenge for the pharmaceutical companies making sure the drugs get into the correct regional packaging with the correct regional lefalet. Adding (because no guarantee of online/mobile access) online content that needs to be managed and version controlled as well will only put the costs up.  Plus online content has a habit of persisting beyond it's use-by date, whereas paper in the pack will always be relevant to that pack.

So, it's actually quite difficult to accomplish reliably, and very difficult to control so that information is up-to-date and relevant.

This is not to diminish the difficulties of those who need assistive technologies.  I'm not sure what information is imparted by the braille on current packaging - it may be as simple as brand / name and a warning re toxicity.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13773 on: 20 September, 2021, 05:58:49 pm »
In my left hand: a Stanley ratchet screwdriver.

In my right hand: a Stanley non-ratchet screwdriver.

Are we to assume that the ratchet screwdriver is impractical for the task at hand?

Yes.  It is too long.

Do the bits from the former fit the latter?

Why, no!  No, they do not!

Well then, is there a bit with a Pozidrive head for the latter?

Why, no!  No, there is not!  Only flat ones.

And the moral of this tale?

Always take your own tools when volunteering to bodge Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)’s b0rked furniture back into a vague semblance of working order.  I did get the screws adequately tightened in the end, but there were prodigious Bad Swears involved.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13774 on: 20 September, 2021, 07:17:39 pm »
In my left hand: a Stanley ratchet screwdriver.

In my right hand: a Stanley non-ratchet screwdriver.

Are we to assume that the ratchet screwdriver is impractical for the task at hand?

Yes.  It is too long.

Do the bits from the former fit the latter?

Why, no!  No, they do not!

Well then, is there a bit with a Pozidrive head for the latter?

Why, no!  No, there is not!  Only flat ones.

And the moral of this tale?

Always take your own tools when volunteering to bodge Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)’s b0rked furniture back into a vague semblance of working order.  I did get the screws adequately tightened in the end, but there were prodigious Bad Swears involved.
This sounds like a trip to my Mum's house, and not taking my own tools.
Or screws, for that matter.
My late father had a habit of hoarding old, used screws.
Always slotted.
Never X-head.
Always shit tools, as well.
Gah!