Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333224 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2150 on: 17 January, 2022, 05:39:59 am »
Just finished the Expanse S6 and it was quite good. It hasn't been renewed yet and they managed to tie up most of the loose ends.

« Reply #2151 on: 17 January, 2022, 08:48:46 am »
I'd hazard a guess that there's a few things you saw last night that's worth watching the second,  third, fourth,  etc time it's been put on. Seriously,  how many channels would there be needed if they only broadcast new programmes? Last night there was nothing on at all of interest. Ended up watching YouTube instead. My LG smart TV was a good buy with all those streaming options and apps.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2152 on: 17 January, 2022, 12:58:56 pm »
Just finished the Expanse S6 and it was quite good. It hasn't been renewed yet and they managed to tie up most of the loose ends.

I've just re-watched S1 with a view to giving it another chance.  It's much better when your expectations are re-calibrated away from Babylon 5, as I'd previously got hung up on the Poundland Garibaldi.  I'm suspicious that whatever version I watched the first time round had a dodgy audio mix, as it didn't seem anywhere near as hard to follow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2153 on: 17 January, 2022, 01:00:42 pm »
I'd hazard a guess that there's a few things you saw last night that's worth watching the second,  third, fourth,  etc time it's been put on. Seriously,  how many channels would there be needed if they only broadcast new programmes? Last night there was nothing on at all of interest. Ended up watching YouTube instead. My LG smart TV was a good buy with all those streaming options and apps.

At risk of sounding like a Young Person, we don't need any channels; broadcast television is obsolete.  Why would you let someone in an office last week choose what you're going to watch and when?

« Reply #2154 on: 17 January, 2022, 06:37:18 pm »

I've just re-watched S1 with a view to giving it another chance.  It's much better when your expectations are re-calibrated away from Babylon 5, as I'd previously got hung up on the Poundland Garibaldi.  I'm suspicious that whatever version I watched the first time round had a dodgy audio mix, as it didn't seem anywhere near as hard to follow.

I remember watching it first time around, thinking it was decent. Then read the book, went back and re-watched S1 and they had tons more detail that  I never picked up the first time around.
What was more impressive, was that it was a SyFy channel production, who rarely succeeded in making anything of quality.

ian

« Reply #2155 on: 17 January, 2022, 07:57:42 pm »

At risk of sounding like a Young Person, we don't need any channels; broadcast television is obsolete.  Why would you let someone in an office last week choose what you're going to watch and when?

I'm not getting any younger, but we dumped broadcast tv some decades ago, we were never organized enough to plan any kind of viewing and recording schedule and, tbh, we rarely watch more than an hour's tv a day other than movies at the weekend. Probably a hangover from my parents who turned on a TV in the mid-70s and have yet to turn it off.

« Reply #2156 on: 18 January, 2022, 07:58:16 am »
Not tonight, and watchability to be decided, but I think this is the first TV adaptation of a Jack Reacher book, the very first, Killing Floor. To debut on Amazon Prime om Feb. 4th.  At least the leasing actor is more appropriate - one Alan Ritchson, 39 years of age and 6' 2" tall - than Tom Cruise.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2157 on: 18 January, 2022, 09:31:08 am »
Why would you let someone in an office last week choose what you're going to watch and when?

The popular word for it these days is "curating" - I want someone exercising editorial judgment to filter out the dross and put the best stuff on the telly at prime time, when I'm most likely to be sitting down in front of the box. (Although I suppose "prime time" is perhaps also an obsolete concept.)

Having countless viewing streams at your disposal is the myth of choice again - they're not really offering you choice, they're trying to make you spend money. Capitalism writ large.

I haven't got time to watch anything more than a small fraction of what's on offer.

I am quite enjoying The Tourist though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #2158 on: 18 January, 2022, 10:24:59 am »
We have Prime, Netflix, and DisneyPlus, that's enough for us. Plus we're binging on Grimm at the moment and there's about five series of that, so I expect that will tide us through for a few more weeks. I'm sure we forget about most of the stuff we think we're going to watch. I'm never sure how the people I know find the time to watch as much TV as they evidently do. My parents, on the other hand, find the time because that's really all they do.

citoyen

« Reply #2159 on: 18 January, 2022, 10:32:38 am »
I haven't even got time to watch all the things I genuinely want to watch.

I cancelled Disney Plus after I finished working my way through the Marvel films because I was never watching anything else on it. Frankly, I can live without yet another Star Wars spin-off series.

We have Netflix, which works out at quite reasonable value for money. I finally got round to starting Squid Game recently. Very good.

« Reply #2160 on: 18 January, 2022, 10:33:56 am »
A Western Isle local told us "Netflix is a life saver in winter.".

The winter days are short, the nights are long. It isn't very inviting to do much in the rain and howling gale, so I see his point.

We have fallen into the dreadful habit of eating in front of the telly. 1.5 - 2.5hrs of zoning out a night.

Except last night - we spent 1hr playing with kitten.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2161 on: 18 January, 2022, 12:02:58 pm »
We always eat in front of the TV, my wife is often out till 10 pm in her various activities (which are gradually resuming), so by the time I've cooked, it's usually 10.30-11 pm*. I can't eat early now, even in restaurants I don't want to contemplate a table before 9.30 pm. But generally, I think an hour spent zoned out in front of the TV while I spoon pasta into my mouth is a good thing.

We only got DisneyPlus to watch the Marvel series which, of course, we've yet to do. It did have the Die Hards, which saved me rooting out the DVDs.

*her mother is convinced that eating after 10 pm might be fatal, you might die of ingestion in your sleep she opines.

« Reply #2162 on: 18 January, 2022, 05:30:03 pm »
I really miss being able to have a conversation over a meal.
My husband is hard of hearing, and basically can't hear while he is eating, so waste of effort talking to him.
He has a device that means he can hear the TV while eating, but then he can't hear me, so I can't even make comments on what we are watching. But it is better than eating in an empty silence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2163 on: 18 January, 2022, 07:14:24 pm »
I'm quite not sure what the official etiquette on switching to sign language when your mouth is full is[1], but it's occasionally quite useful...

[1] Probably something about putting your drink down first.

« Reply #2164 on: 20 January, 2022, 05:14:20 pm »
Cobra Kai (4) on Netflix.  Yes, it's cheesy, but entertaining stuff.  Back in the deepest 80s I watched the original Karate Kid as a teenager, so feel an element of justication when taking in the scroll forward in time.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2165 on: 21 January, 2022, 05:43:00 am »
BBC4 is re running The Impressionists: Painting and Revolution, Waldemar Januszczak's series. Its excellent.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2166 on: 21 January, 2022, 04:27:49 pm »
Ooh, thanks for that.  Don't think I've seen all of those.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2167 on: 21 January, 2022, 08:44:25 pm »
And we (my wife and I, not the royal “we”) would thoroughly recommend Andy Warhol’s America, a 3 part BBC 2 series. Really excellent (apart from too much Jerry Hall in the last instalment!)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2168 on: 22 January, 2022, 06:58:06 am »
Finished The Tourist last night. Excellent. Strong shades of Fargo, I thought.

And contrary to what others have said, I thought the ending was very good.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2169 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:00:26 am »
The final series of Ozark on Netflix , first 7 episodes have been released. Should keep me entertained this weekend even though Mrs F hates it.
Regards,

Alan

sam

« Reply #2170 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:09:57 am »
I was pleased to see the new Ozark too.

Just awaiting Better Call Saul to achieve rapture.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2171 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:53:39 pm »
Yes, Ozark!  Whoa, gripping stuff.  Season 4 Pt2 later this year apparently.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2172 on: 24 January, 2022, 11:26:50 pm »
Finished The Tourist last night. Excellent. Strong shades of Fargo, I thought.

And contrary to what others have said, I thought the ending was very good.

(click to show/hide)
It's not any plot twist or how they ended it that annoyed me, more that they did a LotR and ended it four times in the last 40 mins.

Around the world in 80 days, I would not go so far as to call it actually good, but watchable.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2173 on: 27 January, 2022, 10:03:58 am »
Unbelievable on Netflix

It is hard watching, but also compelling viewing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

sam

« Reply #2174 on: 27 January, 2022, 02:13:11 pm »
Yes, Ozark!  Whoa, gripping stuff.

There’s a casually terrifying scene from the first season which shows how easy it is to buy a gun in my mother country (remember Tuck?).