Author Topic: How to change the code on an Abus Combiflex cafe-wire lock?  (Read 14307 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Somehow I've managed to change the code on my cafe wire.  Luck let me find the new code, but I don' like it.  Can anyone remember how to change the codes on these locks?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Re: How to change the code on an Abus Combiflex cafe-wire lock?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:13:49 pm »
Somehow I've managed to change the code on my cafe wire.  Luck let me find the new code, but I don' like it.  Can anyone remember how to change the codes on these locks?
The Abus Combi Flex looks very similar to the Squires version, you can see in that Squires link that I made some instructions of how to set the combination as the instructions it comes with were not that clear, looking so similar there may be a chance the combination is set the same way.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:18:42 pm »
yACF does it again!  Thanks :)
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:25:54 pm »
007?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2008, 07:23:51 pm »
Why bother - if it's as bad as the one I had you can pull it apart bare handed :hand:

Throw it away - even for a cafe lock you need something better than that
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:06:14 am »
Why bother - if it's as bad as the one I had you can pull it apart bare handed :hand:

Throw it away - even for a cafe lock you need something better than that
I bother with my cafe lock as I use it on the occasions where I wouldn't normally take anything, so if I did throw it away then that would mean I have no deterrent as apposed to a slight one, which may just make the difference.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2008, 11:40:25 pm »
Hell, it says on the pack that it's to prevent walk-away thefts, not real thefts.  I know just how feeble it is.  I also know how small and light it is. 

Paul Smith SRCC

• www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:14:14 am »
Hell, it says on the pack that it's to prevent walk-away thefts, not real thefts.  I know just how feeble it is.  I also know how small and light it is. 
I also bought one as previously when my club mates and I parked our bikes in a group we would use our 'toe strap specials', unlooping the toe strap from the right pedal toe clip and then looping it through the non drive side chain stay of the next bike, took a few seconds, we can't do that now as we are all clipless; these cafe locks as far as we are concerned are the new 'toe strap specials'  ;D

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk