Author Topic: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop  (Read 186267 times)

Re: Tales from the Wobbly Workshop
« Reply #550 on: 16 August, 2021, 10:03:46 pm »
Not really a project, but I made a video today of grandsons enjoying their KMX Karts. Crazy boys!  :smug:

A project previously featured on this thread (the Gospin 360) was used to make part of the video, so I thought I'd post it on the Wobbly Workshop thread: https://youtu.be/Y0e9PdCBMtE

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #551 on: 21 August, 2021, 03:51:43 pm »

You've got to be the best grandad EVER! Really enjoy seeing your posts.

« Reply #552 on: 22 August, 2021, 08:34:55 pm »
Thanks! That means a lot to me.  :smug:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #553 on: 22 August, 2021, 09:53:26 pm »

:) :) :)
Just catching up on, oo, two years worth of this thread, and this sign has to be one of the best forum posts ever!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #554 on: 24 December, 2021, 08:42:05 pm »
A couple of projects for when I can get out to do a bit of camping/bushcraft - A collapsible bucksaw out of Ash. The blade gets protected by a groove in the sides when folded up - I need to get a new blade and make a bag for it:

When I dug out the compost heap at the allotment earlier in the year, I found an old knife that had accidentily been thrown out with the vegtable peelings - The wooden handle had rotted a bit, so I took it apart and re-handled it from a scrap of Wenge, and added a roughly stitched sheath from leather. It will be useful for food prep when camping.

I might make a better sheath for it and a leather bag for the bucksaw if I get the industrial sewing machine out after Christmas.

« Reply #555 on: 24 December, 2021, 08:54:57 pm »
Good saw.  :)

« Reply #556 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:40:36 pm »
...and today I had the heavy-duty sewing machine out and made a leather (reclaimed from an old sofa) sheath for the bucksaw.

It could have done with being a bit shorter, but one day I might make a 24" blade one instead of this 21" one...

« Reply #557 on: 15 February, 2022, 09:10:41 pm »
New cyclingling related project.

Materials: Aluminium scrap: micro-scooter handlebars, tent pole, angle, extruded bottom bar from a blind. Plus a joint from anglepoise lamp and a mouse mat.

Bought bits: a pair of truss couplers (stop giggling...)

I cur the bar from the blind into 600mm lengths, rounded the ends and marked the centres. Then bent it to a curve...

I filed down a M8 bolt and a couple of nuts to fit in the square hole in the anglepoise lamp joint, then hammered the tent pole ferrule square to fit in the other end - this enabled me to attach it to a truss coupler and change the angle. Mouse mat backing used to line the truss coupler.

More soon

Any guesses as to what it's for?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #558 on: 15 February, 2022, 10:25:41 pm »
Mudguards for a Windcheetah.

« Reply #559 on: 16 February, 2022, 07:39:19 pm »
Right vehicle.  :thumbsup:

It may stop some mud, but not in the way you are thinking...  ;)

A little bit more done today, but I didn't take photos.

Struggling to attach the mini-scooter stem to the other truss coupler, in a way that:
  • Isn't heavy
  • Won't twist
  • Might need to tilt
>:(

« Reply #560 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:23:03 am »
My first thought was also mudguards, but I couldn't work out how the scooter stem fitted with that.

So now I'm thinking, support framework for a windscreen/fairing?

Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #561 on: 16 April, 2022, 09:35:40 pm »
I hope to make a bit of progress on the project I started above - there was a change of plan, when I found a scrap handle from a golf bag trolley that will do the job better than the scooter bars.

Meanwhile I have been preoccupied with something else...

Is it only me that would take a hacksaw to a new Ahead-stem?  :o

Drill & tap a thread in it...  ::-)

To mount a knob...   :P

... and, yes, the Univega has a 26.0mm seatpost.  :smug:

You might spot it at the end of this video of me going out for a paddle...  ;)

https://youtu.be/ixUyb168W8Y

« Reply #562 on: 28 July, 2022, 08:53:24 pm »
I've been doing a bit more canoodling constructions this week.

Youngest grandson found full sized paddles heavy and cumbersome. I made one from GRP tube, GRP faced Nomex honeycomb and a molded plastic handle, but I was disappointed with the finish, so I found offcuts of ash & cedar...

This isn't how you re supposed to make paddles, but the cedar had been planed too thin for the traditional faired in method.

Blade cut from paper template to fit in to the shaft with a type of bridle joint.

I found some Iroko the right size, that felt light, so decided to make two so marked  second blade

Decided to use contrasting timbers to thicken the ends for the handles

Lots of work with spokeshave and ages sanding with a hand held sander...

Sanding sealer and varnish always takes an age to dry.  >:(  I have tried to enhance the visible glue-line with gold painted line.

Yep, that's skware section to round by eye, spokeshave and sanding.  :o

They are far from perfect, but they are not going to get  huge amount of use.

With an ex-shop owner clearing out the last of his stock, I got NOS wooden paddles for myself & older grandson too, and an extra seat to add. No seat hangers, so I cut some sculpural ones from ash. Made a kneeling thwart too, so I can swap between yoke, kneeling thwart or third seat.  :smug:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #563 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:03:15 pm »
I can smell the wood shavings.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #564 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:04:33 pm »
I really could do with borrowing you for about six months, about the house.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #565 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:29:45 pm »
I can smell the wood shavings.  :)

That dry Iroko tickles the back of the throat and is carcenogenic (probably about the same risk as smoking a couple of fags, for this project).

I used a couple of handfuls of the wood shavings to light the twig stove to cook Singapore noodles in the garden so I could work while cooking my lunch.  :smug:

« Reply #566 on: 17 August, 2022, 12:30:21 am »
This evening, I had a presentation to write for work tomorrow, but, instead, I've procrastinated by spending three hours reading of Mr Wobbly's marvelous doings. Is there a thread about worker alienation on YACF? I've often thought school science technician could be a sweet spot job for creativity, learning new things, and everyone, teacher and pupil alike, is pleased to see you. The piles of risk assessments don't sound fun, though.

« Reply #567 on: 17 August, 2022, 09:47:42 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #568 on: 29 August, 2022, 08:48:49 am »
Not really a workshop post, but I went for a ride on the Wobblebike yesterday.  :D

You might not think that would be unusual for me, but I haven't been out on it(apart from a couple of test rides round the village last week to check it was set up - both shifters needed maintenance as they wouldn't shift up more than one click - pawls lubed and wiggled and they now work again  :smug:) for over 7 years!!!!!  :o

A pub in the next village has an annual ride - Phil's ride- for Air Ambulance on behalf of the partner of a work colleague, who died after a RTA.   :'(
 Motorcycles ride out to the Norfolk coast, Cyclists do a 24mile pub crawl/ride and walkers lap the playing field. BBQ & bands in the evening.  :thumbsup:

With a ride of just over 10 miles each way to the pub start, I clocked up 46 miles!   :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #569 on: 29 August, 2022, 08:54:46 am »
If I'd known...

Ping me a reminder next year, I went out for a solo 50km recovery ride yesterday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #570 on: 30 October, 2022, 06:28:58 pm »
Greetings your Wobblyness !
Am I right in thinking that some time ago you made a 2x4 lowracer ? or was it the 2x4 longbike thingy ?
I'm hoping to make one myself over the winter and would love to have your advice and experience on the project.
Liz.

« Reply #571 on: 30 October, 2022, 08:33:09 pm »
Yes I made one of James Robinson's design 2x4 lowracers, back in 2002, IIRC.  :smug: Stormbird occasionally OTP, has also made one. https://ligneusbikes.wordpress.com/2x4-low-racer-2/

Most people find better ways of interfacing the metal and wooden parts, particularly the bottom bracket.

I think James was shortish, and there was one error on his plans that needed correcting for a larger frame.

I used dowels & biscuits to strengthen the butt joints on the timber, but just used PVa adhesive. One of the Titebond products would be better today.

The designed handlebar/stem combo wouldn't work with my long legs, and Stormbird copied  - he has ridden mine and said it handled better than his.

« Reply #572 on: 02 April, 2023, 08:15:22 pm »
 long while go, I made a reverse steer bike from a truely awful BSO. It got left out in the garden for a few years, and most of the bits that were supposed to turn ceased up, so apart from the handlebar stems wiv cogs on, it got taken to the tip.

Without real access to the workshop at work, I wasn't intending to make anymore silly bikes, however...

To get the precise spacing between the two head tubes, I used 2 lengths of angle iron with a couple of bolts to adjust.

Can we fix ride it? - Yes, we can...
https://youtu.be/OgYNFCcO2_o