Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 404321 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2500 on: 27 July, 2021, 09:29:33 pm »
I don't load images in any of my emails, unless I want to. That way I don't get tracked in the background.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2501 on: 01 August, 2021, 11:52:19 am »
You know how something has been THERE ==> since time immemorial until fucking Microsith decides it should go somewhere else only they don’t bother to tell you where?

Yes, exactly like that.

The wossname for creating a system restore point has been under “Control Panel… System” since Bloody Stupid Johnson was only an promising amateur liar but all of a sudden clicking that fires you off at right angles to reality and into the demonic ouroboros of Settings, where the option to create a system restore point now isn’t.  No, you have to fanny about typing shit into search boxes because Microsith are twats who think their customers have the attention span of the goldfish of urban legend and the memory of a ZX-80.

See also rants passim about the horble Fisher-Price interface in Orifice.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2502 on: 01 August, 2021, 07:43:59 pm »
Well the motherboard wouldn't detect the new scsi card. I took the card to another pc (dad's old one) and it worked so the issue is in the motherboard.

There is a bios update available so I downloaded and flashed the bios. Which bricked the motherboard.

I will be calling the manufacturer tomorrow and see what they say.

« Reply #2503 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:23:02 pm »
Well I managed to recover the BIOS. It required stripping the Mboard to a bare board (CPU, RAM, SATA devices removed or disconnected) and then flashing the BIS from a USB using a special M-flash button. This has got the PC working again, though I still need to get some thermal paste to reseat the CPU heatsink properly. However even with the latest bios the SCSI card is not being detected.  :(

I am now at the mercy of waiting on the MSI tech support to respond to my ticket.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2504 on: 07 August, 2021, 05:21:11 pm »
I'm transferring ex-colleague's old laptop stuff to new laptop for her.

Old laptop: "I can't login, I have no internetz *FLOUNCE*"
Me: "Eh? I Just Want to Login, not go online..."
Old laptop: "NOPE! I Require Internetz before I'll login"
Me: "FFS. Notices barely visible network settings option which has almost no contrast from theme colour... Feeds it house wifi deets... *tries to login again*.
Old laptop: "I'll login, but you now have to create a pin"
Me: "I don't want to create a pin, I am logged in, I want to copy files and ditch you... Just Let Me In..."
Old laptop: "NOPE! MAKE PIN NAO!"
Me: "FFS. *makes a random pin"
Old laptop: "NOPE THAT PIN ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!"
Me: "????!!!" *Clicks on letters and numbers* *tries alphanumeric pin*
Old laptop: "NOPE!" "I'm now going to ignore lots of keypresses at random!"
Me: "FFS FFS FFS JUST LET ME IN!" *turns off letters and numbers* *clicks 'what are password requirements?' button* *is none the wiser* *tries 6 digit number*
Old laptop: "That'll do, I suppose...."

New laptop is pants. It has a "Pentium GOLD!" CPU, which is worse than even an i3 but *sounds* impressive I'm sure. I fear what colleague paid for this laptop... It's barely faster than the 6 year old one...

New laptop mostly only pissed me off half-choking on an update and needing several kicks to make it reboot and recheck and reboot and recheck... And telling Cortina to fuck off a billionty times. 

That and I can't install Microshite Office cos it needs ex-colleague's work login AND multifactor auth verification even to just download the fucking thing. So will have to do that with her present.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2505 on: 07 August, 2021, 05:26:36 pm »
Meanwhile, I took one look at the fraying power cable, amputated the offending section and made good with solder and heatshrink.  This did not cure the intermittence of the charging, as it appears to have further b0rkage at the connector end.

barakta

« Reply #2506 on: 07 August, 2021, 10:12:13 pm »
Division of labour innit!

You do hardware. I do "Fucksake, have to Google how to make Windows work" jobs.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2507 on: 08 August, 2021, 01:31:00 pm »
You got the shitty end of that deal barakta
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

barakta

« Reply #2508 on: 08 August, 2021, 03:50:25 pm »
Heh!

Kim is rarely stupid enough to agree to wrangle Windows for people. They assume she knows more than me cos of her computing degree, whereas I've had more general exposure to Windows as an OS... Hence the reduced efforts to "work it out" and "just Google it, it's quicker".

I honestly find Windows increasingly unintuitive. Win XP was consistent and had logical menus. Win 10 hides everything in search and 3 dotses buried umpty levels deep, or you kinda have to go to X settings and then find Y settings from within that. Very Annoying!

« Reply #2509 on: 08 August, 2021, 03:51:59 pm »
... and when you do find it, a new update comes out where they move it to somewhere else so you have to start the search all over again.

barakta

« Reply #2510 on: 08 August, 2021, 06:18:28 pm »
Yup!

I still do better than the average Luser though. Cycnism and Google are my friend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2511 on: 08 August, 2021, 09:51:08 pm »
I can just about cope with Windows 10 by searching for things all the time.  Which is fine until the machine doesn't have an internet connection, and the search stops working.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2512 on: 08 August, 2021, 09:57:26 pm »
I start by creating a god mode folder, that helps remind it which way the relationship should be.

But I share Barakta's frustration with getting windows 10 going, I needed to get a new laptop on the wifi, printer/scanner drivers installed and updated - so that on Monday her work IT people can blast it with whatever directory services and other stuff it needs (and it's only a temporary one for the next month).

Microsoft, I just want to get this machine running, I do not want it to be my new best friend, I do not want to have to type in my life history and a bazillion email addresses and passwords just to be able to put it on the fucking wifi.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2513 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:06:42 pm »
I start by creating a god mode folder, that helps remind it which way the relationship should be.

*googles*

*tries it*

Woah!

barakta

« Reply #2514 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:18:20 pm »
Never heard of Godmode before, but that is bloody awesome. Thanks!

Duly installed on my own win 10 install.

I hadn't remembered printers, must ask ex-colleague what printer she has. I'm thinking of meeting her on campus so we get all the WiFis (local and Eduroam) sorted too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2515 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:33:59 pm »

But I share Barakta's frustration with getting windows 10 going, I needed to get a new laptop on the wifi, printer/scanner drivers installed and updated - so that on Monday her work IT people can blast it with whatever directory services and other stuff it needs (and it's only a temporary one for the next month).

Microsoft, I just want to get this machine running, I do not want it to be my new best friend, I do not want to have to type in my life history and a bazillion email addresses and passwords just to be able to put it on the fucking wifi.

Oh, I say!  That looks rather useful.  But whether there’s an option buried in there that’ll allow me to install the update that has been consistently defeating Windows* for about nine fucking months…

Sooner or later I fear I'm going to have to bite the wossname, nuke from orbit and reinstall, which will probably require about a week of fannying around to get everything back the way it's supposed to be.

* Page fault in non-paged area.  All suggested fixes found thus far on teh Intertubez have not fixed it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2516 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:37:58 pm »
OK, I have God Mode, but I can't see the unlimited gueuze supply icon  ???

« Reply #2517 on: 08 August, 2021, 10:49:29 pm »
Mrs Nutty doesn't have admin rights on her work laptop, which caused much angst when she was trying to print something, which usually works but Win10 gave a random error message for no reason.  I'll give her much respect for youtubing how to use regedit and not involving me, but she came a cropper on trying to restart the spooler service as the buttons were greyed out.  My later suggestion of "just reboot the f_ing thing" didn't go down well.  (I have no idea how she can use regedit to amend permissions but not restart a service.)

My work win10 laptop is $IT_Owned as well.    I do have admin rights due to a technicality loophole in job needs.   I may investigate this feature.

Fortunately personal kit hasn't been infected with Win10.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2518 on: 09 August, 2021, 11:17:25 am »
Dear IS, I need a new laptop.

Hello Clare, what happened to your old one?

It fell from a height.
Into a bucket of petrol.
Which ignited.
So I stamped the fire out with a 2 tonne press.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2519 on: 09 August, 2021, 02:14:37 pm »
Dear Clare, have you tried to hold the power button down for 5sec to see if it boots after that?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2520 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:38:57 pm »
Damn boot SSD on my secondary (well, primary work but secondary in terms of power) desktop has failed. There's nothing irrecoverable on it, but a new one is £180 and it'll take a day or so to sort it all out. Bum.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2521 on: 09 August, 2021, 11:01:02 pm »
Dear IS, I need a new laptop.

Hello Clare, what happened to your old one?

It fell from a height.
Into a bucket of petrol.
Which ignited.
So I stamped the fire out with a 2 tonne press.

I have read this a several of times, and loved it more every time.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2522 on: 10 August, 2021, 12:13:38 pm »
The response from MSI:

Did you check this card on other X570 motherboard before? From your description, it seems to be a compatibility issue, we have checked this device, we are sorry, we have no this card can be tested. And AM4 motherboard cannot support some old PCIe devices now, some older graphics cards and PCIe devices may nt be recognized, we have reflected to AMD before, but AMD did not provide any solutions.

Over looking the appalling English, as given the times of the responses they are not a native english speaker, it appears they are saying the motherboard chipset is not fully supporting back compatibility of the PCIe generations and devices. I thought that was part of the PCIe spec and concept, anything that actually fits the slots should be supported. As if I have access to another PC with an X570 chipset to test the card in to see if it is MSI's implementation or AMDs chipset that is failing to provide back support.  ::-)

barakta

« Reply #2523 on: 10 August, 2021, 06:31:58 pm »
Fucking Moodle!

Hideous and inaccessible piece of shit.

I would like to do an online e-learning thing for work without having to take screenshots and write not-too-bitchy accessibility feedback each and every time...

The element inspector and ability to delete some elements was the only way I got through even part of the course cos there was a bouncing fucking arrow in the 1/3 way down the screen on a banner which COVERED THE CONTENT pointlessly.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2524 on: 10 August, 2021, 07:12:16 pm »
Have to admit I always thought Moodle was an in-house heap of shite created by some idiot from one of the IT undergrad courses back in the noughties. I never realised it was an actual professional creation.

Well that's my new thing learned today.