Author Topic: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series  (Read 40316 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #125 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:10:07 pm »
That's good news DL.  So you are coming out to meet Tippers and the Tiptree Velo lot then cycling up to Glemsford with us and back via Wally's for brunch following Tippers' 100km route ?

Er no Ted, mainly North Hill repeats penciled in for tomorrow, you're most welcome to join me if 100k is a little too far in the rain for you  ;D

« Reply #126 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »
Ah, an armchair critic.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #127 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:17:55 pm »
Ah, an armchair critic.

That won't be possible as to the best of my knowledge my efforts won't be published/streamed live so you won't be able to watch me from the armchair  ::-)

« Reply #128 on: 12 February, 2016, 01:22:32 pm »
Well, I am intending on going regardless tomorrow....time I applied a dose of Rule 5 in preparation for the potential Arrow conditions!

Factory Shop from Tiptree at 8 remains my intention.

« Reply #129 on: 12 February, 2016, 02:40:58 pm »
Well, I've just fettled the Tripster, so that's half way to commiting to going out tomorrow!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #130 on: 12 February, 2016, 09:56:40 pm »
Hmmm... Dunno if I can be arsed to get up ridiculously early tomorrow - it will take an hour to get to the start! So I'm probably oooooot.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #131 on: 13 February, 2016, 02:14:59 pm »
I went with the Bobb option and have spent the day fettling in my man cave instead.

Looking out the window, I can't say I feel I am missing out ;D

« Reply #132 on: 13 February, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »
I'm Back!

A good ride. Joined by The Jambuster (from Tiptree Velo) and The Beer Fueled Commuter for a nice dry and slightly cold ride up to Glemsford as planned.

Spotted Tomsk in the opposite direction with an eager young chap on his wheel between Wickham St Paul and Gestingthorpe.

A nice climb up to Glemsford followed by about 30 minutes with Malcolm in the shop for some coffee and some cake. Had a good chat about a few things and the BFC helped go through the gearing discussions I have been having with Tomsk and him over this week.

We left for Wallys and shortly after I hit a flint which again gashed my tubeless tyre resulting int he now familiar spray of sealant over everything. I tried my plug kit but the failed to work, I suspect the hole was too big and I had just lost too much sealant by the time I tired to use it so I put the tube in and blasted a CO2 cartridge in there to get back on the road.

Breakfast at Wally's and we discussed heading back the most direct route due to the worsening conditions but after a few KM we felt pretty good about things so took the slightly lumpier diversions i had planned up spout lane then along the back road from Bures to Wormingford. The BFC had a spectacular blowout at the top of the steep part of spout lane, I know it was good because he was some way in front and I heard it and saw the air/powder shoot out the side. The bead was separated from the tyre so he took charge of my spare Durano Plus to get him home.

I quick ride back from Fordham saw us back in Tiptree shortly after 13:30, mildly damp but happy I got out there.

The Retiree

MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #133 on: 13 February, 2016, 02:42:29 pm »
I went with the Bobb option and have spent the day fettling in my man cave instead.

Looking out the window, I can't say I feel I am missing out ;D

I won't ask what you were fettling with being down Sarf has really softened you up.... we were under the impression you were a hard as nails Glaswegian but obviously not you should have joined me for the NH repeats

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #134 on: 13 February, 2016, 04:21:48 pm »
Tubeless is shit!

I'm sure there are some unvisited GBG pubs in Clacton which is where I plan to go next Saturday.  Wanna come?  Train home.

The Retiree

« Reply #136 on: 13 February, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »
Tubeless is shit!

I'm sure there are some unvisited GBG pubs in Clacton which is where I plan to go next Saturday.  Wanna come?  Train home.
Think the problem might actually be that I am a fat bastard! Tempting to just resign it until summer and get some durano pluses at this point.

I am riding the Braziers run next Saturday.

« Reply #137 on: 13 February, 2016, 05:15:27 pm »
Brazier is Sunday. you can get the train to the seaside with OD o pm Saturday.

« Reply #138 on: 13 February, 2016, 05:57:05 pm »
Doh....better tell the Mrs!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #139 on: 13 February, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
Spotted Tomsk in the opposite direction with an eager young chap on his wheel between Wickham St Paul and Gestingthorpe.

:thumbsup: Young Josh [Engineering student at Colchester Institute] has been out a few times on the Saturday social rides. We parted company with the club run at Sible Hedingham café and carried on for a 'Horses for Courses' perm. His longest previous ride was 50 miles [off road]  :o 133 miles today, but at least a light headwind out and good tailwind back. Also no rain on the way back until Newmarket. He has the makings of a good randonneur - steady pace, impervious to weather, puts away food like it's going out of fashion etc...

Snetterton Park café was still shut and the model shop has closed for good, but fortunately there was a track day on the circuit [free entry for us] so the slightly more up-market restaurant there was open. I will have to re-think arrangements for the perm and calendar rides if the café remains closed.

« Reply #140 on: 14 February, 2016, 05:34:29 pm »
 :thumbsup: Had to be keen to do a 200 yesterday! I was more than happy to get back home at 13:30 and retire to the living room.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #141 on: 14 February, 2016, 05:58:05 pm »
^ Actually, as forecast the weather was not so bad further north, a little drizzle between Lavenham and Ixworth, then dry until after Newmarket on the return run.

100km with a tailwind makes any weather bearable! We actually saw the sun too [off and on, through thinner cloud...]!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #142 on: 14 February, 2016, 07:03:13 pm »

So, next Saturday (FORWARD PLANNING  ;D  ), my intention is to set off from Witham at about 8am and follow THIS ROUTE to Clacton, grab a pint in The Old Lifeboat House (an unvisited Good Beer Guide pub), perhaps finding a spot of lunch and then getting the train home.  There are trains every hour at 13 minutes past.  Breakfast en route may or may not happen depending on what we find.

Anyone wanna come?

« Reply #143 on: 15 February, 2016, 09:54:25 am »
I am provisionally in for this....permission pending! I have been making it clear that the mileage needs to increase in the run up to the Arrow so hopefully it should all work out.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #144 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:43:39 am »
Good stuff. We'll talk logistics towards the end of the week.

« Reply #145 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:07:08 am »
Like how many spare tyres you should carry for me?  ;D

I'm switching to the Schwalbe S-One tyres this week. Still tubeless but they are only half a square off the Durano Plus on the Protection rating on Schwalbes website. They have the V Guard belt so hopefully that makes the difference.....

If these don't work I think I'll be admitting defeat, for now, on the tubeless front.

Looking back over the time since I have been on tubeless, every ride that I have planned for over 100km I have ended up with a tube in the tyre or having to stop to get a hole sealed and pumping the tyre. Comfort and less rolling resistance can come at a cost but that is just stupid!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #146 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:16:58 am »
Like how many spare tyres you should carry for me?  ;D

You're a funny man  ;D

The contents of the Magic Bag Midi TMwill be at your disposal are they are for all my riding companions.  I'm like the Fourth Emergency Service  O:-) :smug:

« Reply #147 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:33:42 am »
You could sell a rescue policy!

To be fair, I had a folded up Durano Plus in my Caradice this weekend and it came in Hand when the Beer Fuelled Commuter's Gator Hardshell decided it did not like being connected to it's bead any longer.

I still find the Durano the best 'spare' to carry as you just know it will get you home if you need it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #148 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:48:07 am »
You could sell a rescue policy!

If I charged to rescue folks I probably wouldn't be able to take the piss as well - and that would be no fun!

Mind you, I fancy I shall be on the receiving end of some stick soon as the wheels on order from Malcolm of Glemsford will be shod with Conti GrandPrix 4 Seasons (28mm).  We all know what's going to happen don't we?  ???   ::-)   :-\

The Retiree

« Reply #149 on: 15 February, 2016, 11:51:29 am »
If I charged to rescue folks I probably wouldn't be able to take the piss as well - and that would be no fun!

With those lorry tyres Marathon + aboard Fred it's no wonder you can provide a rescue service  :thumbsup:

Mind you, I fancy I shall be on the receiving end of some stick soon as the wheels on order from Malcolm of Glemsford will be shod with Conti GrandPrix 4 Seasons (28mm).  We all know what's going to happen don't we?  ???   ::-)   :-\

I read yesterday that Malcolm had been involved in a traffic accident on Saturday whilst out on his bike (not sure how bad) but enough for him to be in hospital, have you heard anymore Tippers?