Author Topic: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series  (Read 40195 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #150 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:06:38 pm »
Oh dear, just been reading about Malcolm on FB.  Sounds nasty.  Hope he recovers soon.

« Reply #151 on: 15 February, 2016, 12:43:12 pm »
Oh dear, just been reading about Malcolm on FB.  Sounds nasty.  Hope he recovers soon.
yeah, just seen that as well....bugger! He was looking forward to that TT as well!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #152 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:42:30 pm »
I'm sure there are some unvisited GBG pubs in Clacton which is where I plan to go next Saturday.  Wanna come?  Train home.

So, next Saturday (FORWARD PLANNING  ;D  ), my intention is to set off from Witham at about 8am and follow THIS ROUTE to Clacton, grab a pint in The Old Lifeboat House (an unvisited Good Beer Guide pub), perhaps finding a spot of lunch and then getting the train home.  There are trains every hour at 13 minutes past.  Breakfast en route may or may not happen depending on what we find.

Anyone wanna come?

So thus far me and tippers are doing this ^^^

He's coming round to my house for 8am, will get fed a bacon butty after which we'll be off.  Anyone else fancy it?  You'll get a bacon butty, I could probably manage a veggie alternative if you're that way inclined.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #153 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:44:37 pm »

I'm sure there are some unvisited GBG pubs in Clacton which is where I plan to go next Saturday.  Wanna come?  Train home.

So, next Saturday (FORWARD PLANNING  ;D  ), my intention is to set off from Witham at about 8am and follow THIS ROUTE to Clacton, grab a pint in The Old Lifeboat House (an unvisited Good Beer Guide pub), perhaps finding a spot of lunch and then getting the train home.  There are trains every hour at 13 minutes past.  Breakfast en route may or may not happen depending on what we find.

Anyone wanna come?

He's coming round to my house for 8am, will get fed a bacon butty after which we'll be off.  Anyone else fancy it?  You'll get a bacon butty, I could probably manage a veggie alternative if you're that way inclined.

Are you still getting the train back?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #154 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:48:15 pm »

Anyone wanna come?

Are you still getting the train back?

Yup.  Partly cos I've never been on the line to Clacton and partly cos I don't want to be late back as me and TCMR are off to see Dillie Keane (the lady who sung that DOGGING SONG:thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #155 on: 17 February, 2016, 07:33:11 pm »
Saturday morning is free at the moment so I might see you in Clacton for a second breakfast. If that's ok?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #156 on: 17 February, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »
Saturday morning is free at the moment so I might see you in Clacton for a second breakfast. If that's ok?

That'll be terrific; except we'll be there about lunchtime. Would you like to meet us en route instead? 

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #157 on: 17 February, 2016, 07:55:13 pm »
Ok, I could meet you in Langham, Park Lane, I guess you'll be there about 9:30?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #158 on: 17 February, 2016, 08:44:55 pm »
If you remind me on Saturday morning I'll send you a Glimpse.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #159 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »
Ok, you dirty old man.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #160 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:01:03 pm »
What's a glimpse?

The Retiree

« Reply #161 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:22:28 pm »

What's a glimpse?

I wouldn't ask OD questions like that..... you are a Sister after all

Oscar's dad

« Reply #162 on: 18 February, 2016, 08:42:16 am »
What's a glimpse?

Bloody clever and very useful is WHAT IT IS!  We used it to great effect on the Country Bumpkins weekend.  Its better if you download the app before hand but you don't have to.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #163 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:13:51 am »
Bloody hell, it's a stalkers dream!

The Retiree

« Reply #164 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:16:09 am »

I think they use it as a means of knowing when to visit Hurrells Lane and try and then deflect the attention on to me and the Danbury Dogger  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #165 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:17:33 am »

Both parties need to give their consent!  So no, it isn't.

« Reply #166 on: 20 February, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »
A cracking ride with OD and Carlosfandango this morning.

I left home a bit late after deciding I didn't need to find my keys only realising I did once I got to my bike and saw the military grade chain and lock around it. I ended up about 10 minutes behind schedule but that made for perfect timing for the bacon rolls and tea generously prepared by OD.

We headed out of Witham via the Notleys then took the turn down to the mill below Black Notley heading for Stisted  towards the Colnes. The first piece of the kind of road that OD is famous for came soon after as we descended down the road that has been closed for years and ends up around the back of the Earls Colne Airfield.

We rod on through Earls Colne and White Colne where we took the left up towards Pebmarsh before turning off to Bures. Lots of small lanes and not too far out of Bures OD through a Straight Ahead at me which made little sense (to me) until I remembered who I was riding with. It was a fresh approach to Bures and it actually cut out a bit of uphill

From Bures we took the back road on the Suffolk side of the Stour up Clicket Hill until the left back towards Wormingford. Shortly after we crossed back over the Stour into Essex. Where the usual route would take you up the hill into Wormingford today we took the track along the bottom of the valley until the climb up to Little Horkesley where we found Carlos waiting for us just over the road from the Beehive Pub.

We carried on down reasonably familiar roads until again we were given a "Right Turn" instruction that was a little dubious. This took us down Hundred lane which although Narrow was actually perfectly rideable. A small dip down and a quick climb up the other side and we were back on the road near Langham.

Crossing over the A12 by Birchwood and on through Ardleigh it was all lovely. Coming close to Lawford we had another Straight on in a lefthand bend. This time it looks a little more 'challenging' but it had been a good day and it wouldn't be an OD route with out some proper COR.

This one was called Barn Lane and it was adorned with a burnt out Series One Discovery. There was a bit of walking and lots of feet down to rebalance due to some reasonably bat rutting. My new Durano pluses were struggling for grip but I managed OK. OD was in his element!

Not long after this we ended up on a Track that we may or may not have been allowed to ride on, we made it through without bullets flying so I suspect we were ok. We pushed on with a quick eyes closed 'holy shit' crossing of the A120 through Little Bentley, Tendring and Thorpe-le-Soken along the B Road. We spotted a Hunt along this bit of road, 3 riders and all the hounds, it was a pretty impressive sight.

Just as the B Road was getting a bit boring another "LEFT" had us back on a Bridleway. This one had concrete tracks where a vehicle wheels might be and as OD found out they were quite difficult to negotiate if you came off them.

The track was a real tooth rattler and it would have rattled anything slightly loose off the bike but the concrete under wheel actually made for OK going.

Shortly afterwards we ended up in Clacton at The Old Lifeboat House Pub which I have to say is a Cracker. They do £2.70 pints on Wednesday as well so combined with a train back to Witham/Chelmsford I think it would make a great MEMWNS location.

Thanks again to OD for sorting the route, I really enjoyed it and the train home in the rain and wind was a treat! Carlos went hard and rode home on his Tod, Legend  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #167 on: 20 February, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »
Looks like a fun day out, this morning looked nice for it and evil this afternoon, hoping its better tomorrow!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #168 on: 21 February, 2016, 07:21:37 am »
It was a top day out!  Thanks for the write up, photos, and company Nik. And big thanks to Carlos too.

I was quite pleased to manage 4 hours on the bike and 50+ miles non-stop. I was getting a bit knackered as we approached Clacton but was OK again after a rest.

Where shall we go next?  I'm busy next weekend but we'll have to do another breakfast ride again soon.

« Reply #169 on: 21 February, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
Costal with a train station was Quality  ;D

Any unvisited pubs in Harwich? Also, I have never been to Burnham on the bike?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #170 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:13:14 am »
... I have never been to Burnham on the bike?
There will be some opportunities to ride to Burnham this year with Tomsk's and my new Audax rides  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #171 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:25:39 am »
Costal with a train station was Quality  ;D

Any unvisited pubs in Harwich? Also, I have never been to Burnham on the bike?

I think I did the Harwich GBG pubs last year, that's not to say they can't be don again. I think there are some Burnham pubs GBG pubs, I'll check.

« Reply #172 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:16:29 pm »
I like this as a concept.

Harwich, Clacton, Walton, Frinton, Wivenhoe, Fambridge, Burnham, Southend, Shoeburyness, Benfleet, Leigh on Sea, Manningtree, Wrabness, Mistley (Shotleigh is an interesting place and isn't too far from Manningtree or Ipswich), Ipswich, Felixstowe and, just for Oaky, Lowestoft.

There are some ferry possibilities in there as well.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #173 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:47:50 pm »
Flippin' heck! All of a sudden everyone's buying Durano Plus tyres and thinking getting the train home is a good "concept". Do all these developments make me a legendary thought leader?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #174 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:53:43 pm »
Flippin' heck! All of a sudden everyone's buying Durano Plus tyres and thinking getting the train home is a good "concept". Do all these developments make me a legendary thought leader?
No, you're just wearing everyone down with your wit and boyish charm, or something like that anyway
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax