Author Topic: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series  (Read 40162 times)

Re: MEWBS - The Mid Essex Weekend Breakfast Series
« Reply #200 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:50:16 pm »
I am go

« Reply #201 on: 15 April, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »
OK, I am go too. I'll go via Maldon, hopefully picking up any other MEWBers on the way...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #202 on: 15 April, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »
I know this is a little late in the day to post about tomorrow morning but if you do see this before you depart then it would be interesting to see how much of my proposed Essex R&R route to Burnham you can follow: https://goo.gl/maps/pyA1P9mf5KB2
Also how cycle friendly the Tall Green House Cafe is to be promoted as a control in Burnham.

Appreciate any feedback :)

BTW, my 200 & 100k routes are now live on AUK and both have received their first entry!

p.s. I'm not able to join you so don't expect to see me
:thumbsup:

« Reply #203 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »
A good ride out this morning. Other that the targeted cafe was closed and the other 2 cafe's in Burnham High Street were closed, we were quite clearly told so in one of them.

Bobb and I found a cafe on that B road as we tracked back, Sherlock Cafe and although it was small we got there before the rush and had a breakfast which I thought was excellent both quality and quantity wise.

Huggy, I tried to ride the route but due to not being able to figure out how to get a GPX from the google track (is it even possible?) and not making the time to put a GPX together I ended up trying to wing it a bit....not good with my sense of direction and even worse when you try to get help from a garmin! I did follow a bit of it though and I'll send over some thoughts/observations. I think it will be a lovely route in the summer with some excellent views of the Reservoirs and Rivers (funny that  ;D)

I must say though, for a country bumpkin it all starts getting a bit uncomfortable and stressful for me around Stock. Lots of big 4WD passing nice and close but it soons improves once you head away from there.

My internal compass very nearly had me heading for South End instead of Burnham. I decided to use the Garmin to find my way as I was in a bit of a muddle. It told me Burnham was 6.75km away I thought, Great and hit go. I then came up with the route @ 26.75 and I had an hour to get there! A TT along the A132 (I don't recommend it for enjoyable cycling) got me to South Woodham pretty quickly and then I thought it was a flat to downhill run to Burnham....not quite but I did make it in about 10 minutes late to find Bobb pondering the cafe options.

Good day out, the rain stayed away other than a few small drops and although cold it was OK for me in my shorts on the bottom but the Gore jacket on the top had me just right.

« Reply #204 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:22:09 pm »
Twas a good ride indeed. Glad I made the effort to get up early(ish) and head out, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered given the rather cold and damp weather. I don't think I'll need to eat again today after that breakfast!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #205 on: 16 April, 2016, 03:12:28 pm »
A good ride out this morning. Other that the targeted cafe was closed and the other 2 cafe's in Burnham High Street were closed, we were quite clearly told so in one of them.

Bobb and I found a cafe on that B road as we tracked back, Sherlock Cafe and although it was small we got there before the rush and had a breakfast which I thought was excellent both quality and quantity wise.

Huggy, I tried to ride the route but due to not being able to figure out how to get a GPX from the google track (is it even possible?) and not making the time to put a GPX together I ended up trying to wing it a bit....not good with my sense of direction and even worse when you try to get help from a garmin! I did follow a bit of it though and I'll send over some thoughts/observations. I think it will be a lovely route in the summer with some excellent views of the Reservoirs and Rivers (funny that  ;D)

I must say though, for a country bumpkin it all starts getting a bit uncomfortable and stressful for me around Stock. Lots of big 4WD passing nice and close but it soons improves once you head away from there.

My internal compass very nearly had me heading for South End instead of Burnham. I decided to use the Garmin to find my way as I was in a bit of a muddle. It told me Burnham was 6.75km away I thought, Great and hit go. I then came up with the route @ 26.75 and I had an hour to get there! A TT along the A132 (I don't recommend it for enjoyable cycling) got me to South Woodham pretty quickly and then I thought it was a flat to downhill run to Burnham....not quite but I did make it in about 10 minutes late to find Bobb pondering the cafe options.

Good day out, the rain stayed away other than a few small drops and although cold it was OK for me in my shorts on the bottom but the Gore jacket on the top had me just right.

Sounds like you had a good ride of it.  That B1007 is not nice to ride on as you head South from the A12, on Saturday mornings I have had too many near passes on that little climb out, so much so I detour via London Hill/Swan Lane to get to Stock usually.  Probably left on to Downham and then Right on to Mill Lane (which is my usual from that direction) would have served you better plus you would have had the windmill as well :)

Did you ride past the house of scrap on your way out to the Jungle? I didn't get a picture last time time but must try and pluck up the courage to head out that way to get one...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #206 on: 23 April, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
Hello folks, I have earmarked Saturday 7th May for a day long ride which could easily start with breakfast at a 'spoons hence my posting here.  I fancy bagging a few more unvisited Essex Good Beer Guide pubs and for some time have been looking warily at those located in the badlands of Essex, places like Grays and Little Thurrock. 

So, my fine fellows I invite you to gird your loins, throw caution to the wind, bring a hefty lock and ride with me to the Theobald Arms in Grays and Traitor's Gate in Little Thurrock!

We can decide on which 'spoons will serve us with brekkie, or perhaps another cafe, depending on who wants to come along.  In the meantime I will start plotting a route.

What say you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #207 on: 23 April, 2016, 05:31:14 pm »
Re the above idea ^^^, a route SOMETHING LIKE THIS perhaps?

« Reply #208 on: 23 April, 2016, 07:40:32 pm »
Oooof.....dangerous part of the world. I might be a last minute, will need to see how things are at home after G&Y F.

I am thinking of doings a bit of North Hill related activity tomorrow followed by breakfast at the greasy spoon in Maldon. Home by about 10:30 I reckon.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #209 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:35:27 pm »
I currently have the 7th earmarked for a 200 DIY.  Possibly round huggy's R&R  route.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #210 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:37:10 pm »
I currently have the 7th earmarked for a 200 DIY.  Possibly round huggy's R&R  route.

Ah ok, can I come with you? 

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #211 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:40:30 pm »

I must get a rationalised GPX track put together for it soon then  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #212 on: 28 April, 2016, 03:46:20 pm »
Yes, pull your finger out!!!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #213 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:23:31 pm »

Of course!  (tempting though it was just to post a flat "No"  ;D)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #214 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »
You're too kind  :-*

« Reply #215 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:21:48 am »
I might look to join you chaps on Saturday morning if it is still happening but it's unlikely to be for the full 200. Do you have a rough plan for a start time?

You might get to laugh at me on my first attempt at TMNH on Fixed and it might possibly be the end of my ride  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #216 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:52:08 am »
0730 from Witham.

I'll be departing from home and hoovering OD up either there or at the Maltings lane/ Maldon road  mini-roundabout.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #217 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:21:44 am »
This the final Essex R&R route subject to route check ride.  Please feel free to ride as much/little of it as you like and provide copious amounts of feedback  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #218 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:28:02 am »

I must get a rationalised GPX track put together for it soon then  ::-)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13509067

I ran your google maps route through http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ - not checked it, but might be a good starter for 10.. 

ETA: Oppps x-posted in the either!...
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #219 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
This the final Essex R&R route subject to route check ride.  Please feel free to ride as much/little of it as you like and provide copious amounts of feedback  :thumbsup:

I'm going to be riding essentially the above, although I'm not planning to head North of Witham at the start, but will instead ride more directly to Hat. Pev and pick up Huggy's route there.  I'm also using my house as my start/finish control point for DIY porpoises.

My DIY by GPS form looks essentially like:-

Start: Witham CM8 1**

CHECKPOINTS:
Please list your checkpoint locations and distances
    Location   OS Grid Ref   Distance (kms)
01.   Danbury, Essex       11.4
02.   Stock, Essex       25.5
03.   Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex       57.1
04.   Tillingham, Essex       68.5
05.   Essex Wildlife Trust Abberton Reservoir       109.4
06.   Sudbury, Suffolk       139.7
07.   Finchingfield, Essex       164.5
08.   The Compasses, Littley Green, Essex       184.8
09.   Witham, Essex, CM8 1**       202.1

Distances from Google walking mode as per DIY audax validation guidelines.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #220 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:10:33 pm »
If you want the DIYSE brevet number I submitted stuff under, or a link to the virtual Brevet card, (for purposes of entering yourself, not sure if any one else can see that mind you... let me know and I'll poing them over in a PM/email).

« Reply #221 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »
OK, I won't be doing the full 200 as I owe some time at home, not even sure I will make it out but I will see what I can do and try to let you know (or I might just surprise you both)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #222 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »
Oaky, me un Fred will be outside your front door at 0730hrs on Saturday.  If I haven't managed to load whichever route version is the current flavour of the month I will simply suck your wheel all day  :-*

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #223 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:41:30 am »
I'll ping you (and tippers) a tweaked version of the route once I've made sure it passes close enough to the actual control points that I put on my DIY form.

That way we can both sit in tippers' slipstream ;-)

« Reply #224 on: 05 May, 2016, 11:00:31 am »
Au contraire as you will be riding an Audax event I am not allowed to offer my services so I fear it will be I sitting in a slipstream!  ;D

Though I am happy to keep quiet if I do end up on the front.