Author Topic: Anyone had a Tern (Funny or otherwise)  (Read 1918 times)

Anyone had a Tern (Funny or otherwise)
« on: 24 February, 2016, 02:56:05 pm »
I'm thinking of adding a folder to the stable and looking for something with a good gear range ( ideally from the 20 to 90 inches area ) and a couple of the Terns seem to fit the bill. There are some reviews out there but nothing of a long term nature so I thought I'd ask around here. The Link D16 and the Verge 18 or 20 have drawn my eye.
I'd like something that I can chuck in the back of the car for family holidays so that I can fetch the baguettes for brecky and then ride a local 200 if one happens to coincide with my holiday dates ( which is more or less a cert ! ). If it also happens to fit the memsahib ( who is only 5' 1'' ) it would seem to me to  be a fully justified purchase yhat would benifit the whole family.
Any advice will be gratefully recieved.

Re: Anyone had a Tern (Funny or otherwise)
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
I rode $PersonOffTheInternet's Tern for a morning when she came to try out my Galaxy for size. I'm about 5'1" and IIRC she's a tad taller at about 5'2".

After a quick google, I *think* it was a Link P24h. I seem to remember a highly configurable stem - her partner was riding one too - and I think they've been touring on them.

It was a pleasant enough ride on the canal paths and river route; no hills encountered so can't comment on the gear range!

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2016, 06:41:49 pm »
That stem indeed is important for its fit. The Verge models all seem to come with it, but the Link models do not; and replacing both parts afterwards is deer.

I have a Tern Link Uno, and have nothing bad to say about it. Okay, the pedals and saddle it came with are not that good. But the more important bits are very solid. And they remain so. It has the stiffest frame of any folder I have ever ridden.

Si

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2016, 12:18:21 pm »
I've had a Link P24 (or some such ) for ages...have sometimes used it as my work bike.

They have a very good set of kit on them: 3*8 rear hub, front dynamo hub, pump built into seat post, tool in handle bar, etc etc.

It's very comfortable to ride - as said above the stem is good at getting the right position without fuss.

For a small wheeled bike handling is OK, might feel a smidge twitchy if you get on it after riding a cumbersome but this'll disappear after 10 mins.

Fold is pretty reasonable.  Quick and fairly effortless.  Size is OK too - similar to many Dahons, Birdy, etc....not as small as a Brommie, but what is?  If you get the expensive rack with the wheels at the side then it's easy to drag around with you, if not then like any folder it's a big lump of heavy metal that is a pain to carry.

Can carry plenty of luggage - rack at rear plus can mount a brommie style front bag.

Downsides: bloody slow!  I at first thought I was imagining this but I've two friends with them who say the same, and when I swapped to a work mate's brommie half way through a day I felt like I'd just got on a rocket!

Also build issues: there has been a major recall so if buying second hand check if your prospective purchase is one of the recalled batch - details on their website.

And the built in pump leaks on mine.

So far I've had no noticeable wear in the hinges.