Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 154457 times)

Samuel D

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #275 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
Nice photos, HeltorChasca.

"Keep the receipt, it might look like a Snap On but it's not."

Ha ha!

« Reply #276 on: 01 July, 2016, 07:28:59 am »
Thanks all. I liked the above replies. I'm in for some fun I can tell. I've posted some inappropriate images to this link https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=96256

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #277 on: 01 July, 2016, 07:51:21 am »
Having seen those pics of almost industrial scale utility cycling, I feel rather humbled!

Fantastic stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #278 on: 01 July, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
Serious load lugging there, HC! I almost said "load hugging" and as part of the load is your daughter, I guess that would be true.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #279 on: 01 July, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »
Sustrans work

Does the leaf blower count as mechanical doping?  :P
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Pancho

« Reply #280 on: 01 July, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »
Leaf blower? I thought it was a pulse jet.

« Reply #281 on: 01 July, 2016, 03:39:49 pm »
Either way, it has an engine and the exhaust is pointing in the right direction (psst I think he's cheating)

Welcome to the forum HC!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #282 on: 01 July, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
Which Sustrans path is that, by the way?

Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #283 on: 01 July, 2016, 04:05:35 pm »
Which Sustrans path is that, by the way?

Which one?

When I'm packing my chainsaw. It's MY NCN path. I don't share it's use.

Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #284 on: 01 July, 2016, 04:10:58 pm »
Either way, it has an engine and the exhaust is pointing in the right direction (psst I think he's cheating)

Welcome to the forum HC!

Thank you. And jokes aside it's the NCN 24. Beautiful. Bath, Bristol & Frome has some of the longest stretches of traffic free cycling in the South West. Trouble is, the trees keep dropping across them in all this recent rain. We've done 2 on the NCN 24 locally in the last 2 weeks.

For the Autumn, I will rig the blower sideways and rid along slowly, clearing all the leaves. Lazy!

« Reply #285 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:45:41 pm »
Rig the mower sideways and fall off  :o ;D, or will you fit stabilisers  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #286 on: 01 July, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »
Rig the mower sideways and fall off  :o ;D, or will you fit stabilisers  :)

Cider will be used to compensate balance issues

« Reply #287 on: 01 July, 2016, 06:27:41 pm »
Scrumpy?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #288 on: 01 July, 2016, 07:36:15 pm »
Scrumpy?  :)

Not one to be fussy The Apple has always done less damage to me than the grape.

Pancho

« Reply #289 on: 02 July, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
Another grand total of 1 mile - to village and back. In my defence, that does include a hill.

Filled two panniers - one from the greengrocer and one from the butcher. It balanced well but was enough weight to sway the bike and remind me why I prefer to use a trailer for load lugging.

Saw a couple of recreational cyclists but no one obviously of the utility cult. There seem to be far more utility cyclists out on weekdays than weekends. Glad to see that the wreck-bikes that had been on the village bike racks have gone. I was worried they'd been abandoned. Not that I needed a Sheffield stand as I'm happy to leave the bike unlocked and on its propstand outside shops locally.

Missed the rain while cycling. But was caught later while mowing the lawn.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #290 on: 02 July, 2016, 06:38:55 pm »
No defence is needed, Pancho. Utility trips take you where the utility happens to be. If you have a greengrocer and a butcher half a mile away, no need to go further. As for me, despite living in a well provisioned area of a big city I have to go a little further than you for the same shopping – it's a whole mile and a half there and back (back up a hill, too!).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #291 on: 02 July, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
I frequently do round trips of about a kilometre by bike, simply because it's so much easier to carry the shopping home that way.  If I could give my student oaf self one piece of advice, using a bike rather than a rucksack would be second only to "beware of the maths".

ian

« Reply #292 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
Is it utility cycling going forty-odd miles for beer? Bicycle was a lot heavier on the way back (oh the merry temptations of Bottleshop). Got wet. Really wet. The annoying thing was that to avoid the worst of the deluge I hid under a tree which mostly didn't work. Then, when I finally resumed my journey, about five minutes down the road, everything was as dry as a bone. If I'd just powered through.

Oh and I fell off which I've not done for ages. Nothing to do with beer. I got the train a few stops from home to avoid some more rain and then, as I left the train station (Purley, more vampires per capita than Romania – fact!), I stopped at the bottom of the forecourt to let a car pass. There's a bit of an odd, steep camber at the junction so the ground evidently wasn't where my brain thought it was when I attempted to put my foot down. Hello sky! No blood fortunately, it's obviously not a place to bleed. Nice big bruise on my butticus maximus. The bike lived, the rack sacrificed its remaining paintwork. My pride is being kept in hospital overnight for observation.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #293 on: 06 July, 2016, 03:10:10 pm »
First trip with the new! shiny matt! huge! voluminous! massive! enormous! ginaggerous! Super C panniers. Not only are they much larger than my old Agus for about the same weight (possibly even a tad less) but they have the wonderful and very useful ability to stand up on their own. And they clip more securely to the rack, too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #294 on: 13 July, 2016, 03:02:58 pm »
Excitement packed trip to the greengrocers today! Overtook one GeoAmey on the way there and another on the way back. When I got back to the bike racks with my fruit and veg, I found a woman with a bike on the next stand in the process of contacting 'local community police'. Her bike had been locked to the rack with the lock of the bike the other side of the same rack, ie the lock had been looped round her bike as well as the other. A few circumstances made her suspicious of this. I suppose if it is a scam, rather than a careless mistake, it works by ensuring your bike is still there at 3 a.m. when the thief can come along unobserved with his BFO bolt croppers or angle grinder.

Pancho

« Reply #295 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
I've heard of that one too. Seems like a lot of hard work and late hours unless it's a decent bike and your fence can handle bike bling. But then I'm a fine upstanding pillar of the community rather than a bandit so I probably don't fully understand the business model.

A quickie to the village today. Just two panniers full of veg. But really glad to get out as I've not had a ride for about a week.

They're not very voluminous but I've come to like my Olde Worlde Carradice panniers (Kendal?). Just big enough for the essentials. Bigger loads than that are best in the trailer anyway.

Saw a bloke on an electric trike parking up outside the cafe when I came out of the greengrocer next door. Nice to know I'm not the only utility rider sometimes. Also v nice girly Pashley in the village bike stands.

« Reply #296 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:09:17 pm »
The post-party cleanup meant another trip to the tip with trailer - I had other junk to take so it was a combined trip.

Proper did my bad arm in, it did. Trouble with trailer hauling on a single speed is that it involves a bit of standing up and heaving on bars.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #297 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:13:42 pm »
I've heard of that one too. Seems like a lot of hard work and late hours unless it's a decent bike and your fence can handle bike bling.
It was a very ordinary hybrid but almost brand new – thought I wouldn't have spotted that if she hadn't said so. But that's just the type of bike that's easy to dispose of through Gumtree or Cash Converters.  >:(

But then I'm a fine upstanding pillar of the community
Splortle!

« Reply #298 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »
An evening expedition on the Thorn Voyager to Sainsburys and then to the railway station for a spot of train spotting.  The 700 series is proving the current favourite. Fresh air and a tandem trip - much better than the telly.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #299 on: 14 July, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »
Up to LBS (woah! in danger of making this a bike ride!) then on to Wilkos, where I bought items that together make a cafe lock. Then on the way home I remembered I need cash for this evening's pub ride, so went past home to the cash machine and then into the Co-op for life sustenance (tea bags). On the way there I:
a) overtook an electric bike (more woah! this is in danger of becoming like silly commuter racing!). Downhill, mind. I was freewheeling, not sure about her. We then had a quick chat at the lights (she loves the leccy bike, works at uni, going to a ukulele recital).
b) when the lights changed and I joined the main road, not only did the impatient motorist behind me not manage to overtake me but instead I overtook the truck and car in front of me! All going slowly, of course; normal congestion caused by random parking.