Author Topic: Use of a 2008 track  (Read 2162 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Use of a 2008 track
« on: 06 June, 2010, 09:47:57 pm »
I have my track from 2008 Asparagus etc. The route sheet is notorious as being "dodgy".
Track has 6399 points.
Idiot question can I just shunt that across to Etrex Legend Cx - and then follow track - or is there some limit on track points if I try to do that.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Use of a 2008 track
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:52:47 pm »
I have my track from 2008 Asparagus etc. The route sheet is notorious as being "dodgy".
Track has 6399 points.
Idiot question can I just shunt that across to Etrex Legend Cx - and then follow track - or is there some limit on track points if I try to do that.

You'll need to filter it down to 500 trackpoints elsewise it will be truncated on download. See track properties in Mapsource.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »
You could do what I did - spend a couple of hours poring over said routesheet, a copy of google maps, and streetmap.co.uk, and with the help of a cheap Ozzie red, bash out a route - plus tracks.

I have found a shortcut  :demon:.

Note to self - don't melt knee this year.

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »
Just follow Chris S ;)

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:00:06 pm »
Just follow Chris S ;)

I'm too slow...  :-[ ::-)

Yeah, yeah... I know - that should make me easy to follow...

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »
Track has 6399 points.

You could use a track but a route is preferable imo.  Chris has his version, I have mine which I gave to others.  It won't direct you off a pier into the sea (AFAIK).

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »

You could use a track but a route is preferable imo.  Chris has his version, I have mine which I gave to others.  It won't direct you off a pier into the sea (AFAIK).

*snigger*

*performs some edits*

Erm... I have a route, FB?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:25:49 am »
Alas my Vista has decided to stop reading maps so I need well want a turn by turn route. If you have such a beast for the A&S can you mail me. Cheers.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »
Track has 6399 points.

If you name it ACTIVE LOG before uploading, you can upload it as is and it won't downsample or truncate.  It will appear on the GPS as your recorded 'breadcrumb trail' (you'd probably want to colour it to make it stand out).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:04:20 pm »
Track has 6399 points.

If you name it ACTIVE LOG before uploading, you can upload it as is and it won't downsample or truncate.  It will appear on the GPS as your recorded 'breadcrumb trail' (you'd probably want to colour it to make it stand out).

You could also use GPS Babel to truncate it to 500 points with very little loss of detail.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »
Erm... "Turn by Turn" is not a phrase I would use to describe the routesheet - and hence the GPS route. It's more of a dialogue :).

I'll send you what I have. Even without a map, you should be able to follow a track, no?