Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16239 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #175 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:09:04 am »
In reference to the settings thread I forgot one.
Toast that is browner than an Scots IR worker wearing factor 50 on an overcast and dreich day in Ballater.
Or in other words I like my toast to be warm bread anything else is inedible.

Mum's like that and D is similar. We like fairly beige tea too.

I like my toast well-tanned and fairly dry though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #176 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:28:52 am »
In reference to the settings thread I forgot one.

Toast that is browner than an Scots IR worker wearing factor 50 on an overcast and dreich day in Ballater.

Or in other words I like my toast to be warm bread anything else is inedible.

Arf  ;D

Mrs P likes a barely warmed slice and I'm a fan of carbon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #177 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:30:38 am »
MrsT likes it burnt.  If I want to eat charcoal I'll burgle the dog biscuits.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #178 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:44:45 pm »
I think the reason I dislike toast is because it starts off as sliced bread Chorleywood product.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #179 on: 07 February, 2021, 03:44:42 pm »
Not all toast starts off as Chorleywood (I nearly typed Chorleywool...)

Toasted Cholla or Bulka (same/similar dough, but big loaves that can be machine sliced) or wholemeal please me occasionally.

I quite like toasted Chorleywood with butter and jam/honey/marmalade,
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #180 on: 07 February, 2021, 04:00:25 pm »
Pork chops, (but I eat bacon) ??? ???
black pudding,
haggis.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #181 on: 07 February, 2021, 04:35:32 pm »
Pork chops, (but I eat bacon) ??? ???

Me too. I just find pork dry and chewy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #182 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:53:53 pm »
Dry and chewy meats are  :sick:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #183 on: 07 February, 2021, 08:41:26 pm »
Cake from my Twitter feed...

(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #184 on: 07 February, 2021, 10:45:36 pm »

Mayonnaise.

It's the sperm of satan and should be banned.

J

I'll revise my previous comment re "There's hardly anything I really dislike and will second QG's proposal re mayonnaise.

I'm told that there's a difference between mayonnaise and salad cream, but I don't know what it is. To Room 101 with both of them!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: 07 February, 2021, 11:04:29 pm »
Mum LOVES mayonnaise.
Mum DETESTS salad cream.
I like mayonnaise.
I dislike salad cream.

Salad cream is sour & sweet and lacks the creamy oiliness of mayonnaise.

« Reply #186 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:32:17 am »
Salad cream cant be used as a direct replacement for mayonnaise I find, too sour.

It is brilliant though. The best uses for it are:

1) Egg sandwiches. 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part salad cream. All mayonnaise is too bland and all salad cream is too sharp.

2) Gypsy bread. Dip the fried bready eggy goodness in salad cream. It cuts through the grease brilliantly. Much better than tomato or brown sauce for this.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #187 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:38:59 am »
I'm definitely on the side of salad cream. Mayonnaise is demonic love sludge that is now unavoidably and thickly slathered over every shop-bought sandwich.

Firstly, it's mostly unnecessary because sandwiches need butter. Mayonnaise is not an excuse for butter. Stop it.

Salad cream is essential for fish finger butties and lovely for cheese and ham sarnies, and even as a dip for chicken wings, mix it up with Frank's hot sauce, job done.

« Reply #188 on: 08 February, 2021, 02:05:46 pm »
I like both.  Salad cream is oft used in our houshold as a general purpose dip for various sandwiches.  Also as a condiment with fish and chips, and with cheese and ham toasties.  Mayo mixed with tomato ketchup for Marie Rose sauce with Avocado and prawns. Or indeed as a dip with breaded fried chicken, even occasionally on a green salad.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #189 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:45:55 pm »
D uses a mix of salad cream and mayonnaise when he makes egg or tuna sandwiches.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #190 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:56:21 pm »
Salad cream cant be used as a direct replacement for mayonnaise I find, too sour.

1) Egg sandwiches. 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part salad cream. All mayonnaise is too bland and all salad cream is too sharp.

2) Gypsy bread. Dip the fried bready eggy goodness in salad cream. It cuts through the grease brilliantly. Much better than tomato or brown sauce for this.

Never heard it called that before (I assume you're referring to what others call 'French toast' or eggy bread).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #191 on: 08 February, 2021, 06:17:52 pm »
Never heard it called that before (I assume you're referring to what others call 'French toast' or eggy bread).

Pain perdu if you want to get poetic about it.

(I assume the name actually comes from the fact that it's a way of using up stale bread, but I like to imagine there's a moral dimension to it as well.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #192 on: 08 February, 2021, 06:50:25 pm »

This. I once worked at a place where we made coleslaw for sandwiches and they used to buy this stuff in 4.5 litre tubs that was exactly that: 2 parts mayo + 1 part salad cream. I do the same at home now, and the coleslaw is good. Mayonnaise on its own is good if you want to eat Belgian-style thin chips but is pretty useless otherwise. If you want Spanish allioli or French aioli for proper patatas fritas or salt cod it's best to start from scratch.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #193 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:01:54 pm »
In response to the OP, I don't think there's any food that I'll have nothing to do with. I don't generally eat meat of any kind, but when stuck in the middle of nowhere while travelling I've had to make do with whatever's offered. Sometimes it's fairly ropey but cooked to the point of not being dangerous.

Seafood - all of it's great as long as it looks like it comes from a reputable source. Jellied eels, razor clams, cockles, etc, all great with plenty of pepper and vinegar. I don't think I'd actively seek out whelks, but then I'd probably say the same about trifle, I'd wolf down either if that's what's available at the end of a 200 km ride.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #194 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:13:47 pm »
Mayonnaise has its place. In a cupboard on an uninhabited and remote island, for instance. Otherwise, it's mostly a curiously tasteless sludge that has become ubiquitous. I think I hit peak mayo a while back when I inadvertently bit into a hummus sandwich and, the fuck, they'd slathered it with mayonnaise too. I think that was Pret, they take the same attitude to sandwiches as I do to greasing bearings, more is better, though axle grease might improve the taste.

« Reply #195 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:01:26 pm »
Mayo.
Every time.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ian

« Reply #196 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:37:40 pm »
Occasionally, it might have a place, but it's everywhere and in quantity. It's a not delicate smear, sandwich shops must be going through 50-gallon barrels of sandwich lubricant. You lift up a sandwich and it squishes between your fingers like a sodden hotel room mattress. I once bit into a cheese baguette and the lubricated filling literally shot out leaving me holding two pieces of damp baguette and a profound sense of disappointment. I'm not joking, the cheese had shot over a fence on a ballistic trajectory from my bready howitzer. It wasn't just a gallon of mayonnaise that hastened its exit, they'd added a tub of chutney to the mix. I was basically trying to eat soup that simply briefly coalesced in a sandwich shaped form like I'd temporarily decohered some sandwich-soup quantum event. Somewhere else, someone was looking at the oozing baguette desperately clasped between their fists and thinking my soup, WHERE IS MY SOUP!

I sort of understand why there's so much of the stuff, in a bout of giddy excitement when I got a new mixer, I made a batch. No human can eat that much mayonnaise. I figure that somewhere there's a mayonnaise national grid and a feed-in tariff. They put a little hole in your kitchen worktop and you scoop it in, and off it goes to be distributed to the nation's sandwich factories or be used as a general lubricant for matters personal or industrial.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #197 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:52:07 pm »
Mayo works fine to wet up a tuna sammich.
A tuna mayo mix is perfectly fine.
You do need to get the mix right - Goldilocks zone.

« Reply #198 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:31:02 pm »
An egg sandwich should have more egg than mayo, but no one has told the makers.
I like mayo occasionally, but has to be home-made, andwith walnut oil, not olive oil.

« Reply #199 on: 09 February, 2021, 09:45:14 am »

Yes we usually call it eggy bread but gypsy bread seems to be the more popular name. When I was a kid my mum called it "dippy doo dahs" and I think my gran did too no idea why, the reason is lost to the mists of time. I tend to think of French toast as a sweet version of eggy bread.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.