Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16024 times)

Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #225 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:11:49 pm »
As a child, I used to eat the rinds that my mother had cut off the bacon before cooking (yes children, bacon used to have the skin left on). But then again, I used to clean out the mixing bowl after she made a cake mix, raw eggs and all.
It hadn't really occurred to me that there might be children who wouldn't do this...

I think, back then, there probably weren’t, and nor were the parents bothered.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #226 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:16:39 pm »

Growing up I was allowed to scrape out the cake mixing bowl after mum made cakes. And then there was a point when I wasn't allowed to any more, and raw eggs were bad. I was still pretty young so don't have full memories of the why. Looking back I think it's related to the Salmonella stuff in the 80's.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #227 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:21:51 pm »
As a child, I used to eat the rinds that my mother had cut off the bacon before cooking (yes children, bacon used to have the skin left on). But then again, I used to clean out the mixing bowl after she made a cake mix, raw eggs and all.
It hadn't really occurred to me that there might be children who wouldn't do this...

As far as I know everyone adult or child did this.
Dire Health Warnings attempted to deter this, initially after Salmonella scares and more recently in the USA, where Nasty Things Happened (I think the FLOUR was the issue) but USA food hygiene leaves something to be desired.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #228 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:26:31 pm »

Growing up I was allowed to scrape out the cake mixing bowl after mum made cakes. And then there was a point when I wasn't allowed to any more, and raw eggs were bad. I was still pretty young so don't have full memories of the why. Looking back I think it's related to the Salmonella stuff in the 80's.

J

It was because they contained traces of currie.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #229 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »

J

It was because they contained traces of currie.
It's just background radiation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #230 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:59:33 pm »

Dire Health Warnings attempted to deter this, initially after Salmonella scares and more recently in the USA, where Nasty Things Happened (I think the FLOUR was the issue) but USA food hygiene leaves something to be desired.

As an avid fan of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, it seems that food hygiene is a potential issue pretty much everywhere; there will always be those who will take more risks than they should. Having spent a lot of time in the USA, I have not seen any evidence that their general food hygiene is any worse than in UK.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #231 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:46:45 pm »

As an avid fan of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, it seems that food hygiene is a potential issue pretty much everywhere; there will always be those who will take more risks than they should. Having spent a lot of time in the USA, I have not seen any evidence that their general food hygiene is any worse than in UK.

I suspect kitchen hygiene is fine; it's food production in farms & factories, where practices differ.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #232 on: 13 February, 2021, 08:19:47 pm »
Unappetiser from my We Want Plates Facebook feed..

(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #233 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:39:41 pm »
Unappetiser from my We Want Plates Facebook feed..

(click to show/hide)

Kill them.  There'd be no point in sending them to a Reëducation Camp.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #234 on: 13 February, 2021, 10:54:34 pm »
That is appalling. If I were served that in a restaurant I would walk out.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #235 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:04:47 pm »
I trolled my avocado-hating Twitter contact with that.
He runs the Intestinal Failure team in Leicester...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #236 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:07:01 pm »
We made a cake the other day. I ate the leftover raw batter in the bowl... Living on the edge, lockdown style!

ian

« Reply #237 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:41:57 am »

It's sadly a lot worse. There are only reason eggs have salmonella is the horribly industrialized battery chicken rearing (the same for most other bacterial contaminants). In the US, eggs, chicken etc. are washed and sterilized which is a patch on the real issue. The massive US beef and pork industry is immeasurably horrific, worse than Upton Sinclair could imagine.

My mother never made a cake, for which I'm thankful, but we used to get a Victoria Sponge every Saturday. Saturday was also the day I ate a couple of kilos of broken biscuits and washed it down with K-Ora with my hoard of cousins (my mother had twelve siblings, so we were a literal if mostly illiterate hoard).