Author Topic: 1080i vs 1080p  (Read 2362 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
1080i vs 1080p
« on: 14 November, 2020, 11:11:20 am »
I have an old FTA satellite recorder which has some advantages over a Freesat walled garden device, namely it gets Ch4 HD and the missing music channels which Freesat won't put on their EPG.  However, it only has 1080i output.  It looks fine to me, but does it make any difference?  AIUI it depends on how well the TV copes with it, and a good TV will look the same with 1080i or 1080p.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
1080i vs 1080p
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2020, 11:18:43 am »
My late mother in law’s telly is 1080i, ours is 1080p, and I honestly can’t tell the slightest difference in picture quality between them.

Tbh, I can’t tell the difference between HD and standard channels on our telly either.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: 1080i vs 1080p
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »
On a TV it probably doesn't matter. It's when you put it on a computer, and definitely when you try to edit it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2020, 01:31:37 pm »
Though at least in the case of Humax boxes HD recordings are encrypted so the procedure for getting usable HD video off one and onto a computer is so convoluted it's usually easier not to bother.  Doubly so if it's from the BBC, where get_iPlayer is ur frend.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:25:33 pm »
Thanks.  I might put a quad LNB on and run both boxes.  The recording is a bit naff as you can't actually watch anything else while it's recording, but it does get all the FTA channels.  Freesat has virtually no music channels* and looking up pop videos on YouTube isn't the same.  Freeview is a bit better but the signal craps out here when it rains.

*they're there but the box won't let you see them because they haven't paid to be in the EPG

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:35:47 pm »
Though at least in the case of Humax boxes HD recordings are encrypted so the procedure for getting usable HD video off one and onto a computer is so convoluted it's usually easier not to bother.  Doubly so if it's from the BBC, where get_iPlayer is ur frend.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but get_iPlayer downloads are 720p, so you might as well just record the same thing on the Humax in SD.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2020, 06:29:41 pm »
I *think* the Beeb has upgraded its HD output on iPlayer to 1080, but I ent certain.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2020, 07:05:09 pm »
In the UK, all HD broadcasts (regardless of platform) are encrypted. And actually, the older Humax boxes (HDR-FOX T2, HDR-1800 & 2000) are the only ones where you actually can export HD recordings without hardware jiggerypokery. I do it regularly. A lot of iPlayer downloads now appear to be only 540p…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
Exporting stuff from my HDR-2000 is still a PITA involving third-party software for file-frobbing, the very very slow saving to a USB device and optional FTP, unless there’s a quicker way that has thus far eluded me.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2020, 08:18:26 pm »
Exporting stuff from my HDR-2000 is still a PITA involving third-party software for file-frobbing, the very very slow saving to a USB device and optional FTP, unless there’s a quicker way that has thus far eluded me.
True, it takes an age (and for some reason Humax>USB is far, far slower than USB>Mac, and the Mac and drive are USB 2.0 as well), but given that the options on other devices are Im Possible for HD, certainly better than nothing. Never tried Ethernet for file transfer, no idea if that would be faster. Wi-fi was like the string was a bit frayed between the tin cans…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2020, 08:59:43 pm »
Mine hasn't got WiFi built-in; the Ethernet connection is 100 Mbit/s.  It's the saving to USB that's really time-consuming, along with any required editing/processing to trim the ends, lose the shitverts and convert it into a format your chosen playback software can handle - iTunes being particularly choosey in the latter.

Edit: and also the swearing because the recorder's IP address has changed since the last time you did it because you're too disorganised to give the thing a static one.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:02:33 pm »
My late mother in law’s telly is 1080i, ours is 1080p, and I honestly can’t tell the slightest difference in picture quality between them.

Tbh, I can’t tell the difference between HD and standard channels on our telly either.

Get thee to Barnard Castle.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:39:32 pm »
Mine hasn't got WiFi built-in; the Ethernet connection is 100 Mbit/s.  It's the saving to USB that's really time-consuming, along with any required editing/processing to trim the ends, lose the shitverts and convert it into a format your chosen playback software can handle - iTunes being particularly choosey in the latter.

Edit: and also the swearing because the recorder's IP address has changed since the last time you did it because you're too disorganised to give the thing a static one.
I bought the Humax dongle (cheaper ones of the right spec work, but went for the branded one for ease)- handy for the iPlayer app & FTPing the .HMT files back and forth. I play the 'guess the HDR IP address' every time as well.

« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2020, 10:18:24 pm »
  ….Freeview is a bit better but the signal craps out here when it rains....

is this not a tractable problem? 

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #14 on: 15 November, 2020, 07:25:36 am »
No, it's an enormous aerial on a long external mast, with a fancy amplifier.  Swindon is a long way from either Oxford or Mendip transmitters, and out of sight of Hannington.

« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2020, 09:28:39 am »
'enormous aerials' are (IME)  very often of no benefit whatsoever when it comes to freeview;  they are commonly

a) more frequency sensitive than they need to be and
b) more directionally sensitive than they need to be.

The second is a hinderance when setting the thing up, and the first means that you can buy an aerial which works very well for one set of stations but is utterly hopeless with another.  They are meant to keep all the broadcasts (in one area) within a narrow band of frequencies, but in practice if you look at what your freeview tuner is actually trying to do, it is pretty clear that a frequency sensitive antenna may be doing you more harm than good.

I would suggest that you try an antenna which isn't so frequency or direction sensitive, and that (if you have not done so already) you set it up using a signal strength meter.

Bad signals in the rain often means you have a water problem, specifically getting into the cable itself.  Masthead amplifiers are (IME) likely to be affected by water sooner than you might like, both because of the nature of how they work, and how they are often installed.

cheers

« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:01:40 am »
I *think* the Beeb has upgraded its HD output on iPlayer to 1080, but I ent certain.

Yes, you can watch most stuff on the iPlayer app in 1080 - but get_iPlayer downloads at a maximum screen size of 1280x720 (according to the wiki).

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2020, 11:01:50 am »

Yes, you can watch most stuff on the iPlayer app in 1080 - but get_iPlayer downloads at a maximum screen size of 1280x720 (according to the wiki).

(Checks most recently downloaded file)

Yes, you’re right.  Fortunately my rheumy eyes can’t tell the difference ;D