Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576549 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1100 on: 28 November, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »
I am the proud owner of a pair of Macs - one desktop, one laptop.

The desktop has Thunderbird as its email client, whereas the laptop uses the native Mail app because, for some reason best known to itself, newer versions of Thunderbird won't install.

Guess which mail client is giving me the most grief?

Mozilla Foundation - once upon a time you had a reputation for turning out decent software. Now, not content with changing the major release of your browser every 48 seconds (or so it seems) your once half-decent email client has degenerated into a festering, unreliable piece of cack.

Please to be sorting it out - things are pretty bad if I'd rather use Safari instead of Firefox and Mac Mail instead of Chunderbird.

::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1101 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »
I can give today back and haz refund? It's been a bit crap.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1102 on: 28 November, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »
Mrs P, would you like a slice of CAIK and a nice cup of tea?  You sound like you could do with one!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1103 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:01:05 pm »
Thank you, Crinkly :-)

« Reply #1104 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »
I know I am now a woman of "a certain age" but it is not OK to call me dear, love, darling, sweetheart, honey or darl if we have not previously met and our relationship is confined to a shop counter. It makes me feel old!
Is this just an Australian thing? I fear I am now officially a Grumpy Old Woman. 
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1105 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:50:45 pm »
No it is not, unfortunately....

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1106 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
Could be worse. Some bloke nearly reversed his moped into me once while his mate shouted "Watch out Jimmy! You nearly hit the wifie!"

Wifie!  :o
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1107 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:12:58 pm »
Could at least have said 'wee wifie'..

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #1108 on: 28 November, 2011, 11:03:39 pm »
The train manager on my train this evening described it as 'exceptionally crowded'.

I thought it seemed much like the last half dozen times I've caught it.

I'm thinking of emailing TPE to let them know about how you can make trains bigger, by adding carriages?

Sorry Arch, I'm afraid it's not that simple.  A typical 4 car train will be made up of at least three different types of carriage, each with enough equipment (power units, fuel tanks for diesels, electrical kit for EMUs, etc.... and that's without considering the software) to function as a complete unit.  It is possible to add a carriage to such a train but it's not a case of hooking it to the back and going; it's a significant piece of engineering and a permanent modification.  The only way to make a train bigger is to add a whole new train.

I'm not defending any particular TOC and I'm not a trainspotter, but I do work in rolling stock design.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #1109 on: 28 November, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
That was probably the worst restaurant meal I've had in two decades. They lost the order for our starters, the child who brought the wine didn't know how to use a corkscrew,   I thought Whitebait _fillets_ was a misprint, but no, they brought me tiny scraps of overcooked fish in thick crunchy stuff. The steak was large but tough, with 1 mushroom & 1 half tomato.  I'd asked for rare, but even by my standards it was undercooked. My sisters & parents food didn't look marvelous either.

Next time I pick the restaurant...

Premier Inns "Stag & Rainbow", Queens Drive, Liverpool.  Just don't  :hand:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1110 on: 29 November, 2011, 12:44:40 am »
The train manager on my train this evening described it as 'exceptionally crowded'.

I'm thinking of emailing TPE to let them know about how you can make trains bigger, by adding carriages?

Sorry Arch, I'm afraid it's not that simple.  A typical 4 car train will be made up of at least three different types of carriage, each with enough equipment (power units, fuel tanks for diesels, electrical kit for EMUs, etc.... and that's without considering the software) to function as a complete unit.  It is possible to add a carriage to such a train but it's not a case of hooking it to the back and going; it's a significant piece of engineering and a permanent modification.  The only way to make a train bigger is to add a whole new train.

I'm not defending any particular TOC and I'm not a trainspotter, but I do work in rolling stock design.

This is the unfortunate downside of using multiple units instead of loco hauled trains.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1111 on: 29 November, 2011, 12:47:54 am »
I've had enough of the wind. It's been gusting over 30mph all week and is going to keep doing that for another week :(

I'm also due a 36mph ave (60mph gust) headwind on the way into work tomorrow  :o - which will turn to a sidewind before i head home  :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1112 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:15:44 am »

I've been on a TPE train that was made up of odd-numbers of units. No idea how they managed it, but it seems to be possible.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1113 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:56:19 am »
Quote from: Data & Digital Supply Chain Manager

Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 05:08 PM
To: The Helldesk
Cc: World+Dog
Subject: Stuffs
Importance: High

Hi Helpdesk,

We've got a series of strictly embargoed titles where we can't allow any data at all to leave this building. However, the data has unfortunately already fed from $APPLICATION1 to $APPLICATION2. I'm hoping you might be able to come up with something to prevent the ISBNs feeding out to our $APPLICATION2 P&A recipients once the 5 months (& for $CUSTOMER 6 months) before pub deadline is reached.

Is there anything that can be done?

The ISBNs are:

["Redacted" - Ed.]

World + Dog, this just fyi.

Thanks,
Data & Digital Supply Chain Manager

I may be missing something here, but five seconds with a Famous Web Search Engine will shew, from the BigCo's own webby SCIENCE, that three of the four ISBNs relate to a biography of The Stone Roses, to be published in June next year.  I fear your efforts to put that particular moggy back in its sack may well be DOOMED.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1114 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:38:26 am »
I know I am now a woman of "a certain age" but it is not OK to call me dear, love, darling, sweetheart, honey or darl if we have not previously met and our relationship is confined to a shop counter. It makes me feel old!
Is this just an Australian thing? I fear I am now officially a Grumpy Old Woman.
I remember my mother awarding shop assistants a vicious glare and snapping ' don't patronise me!' The ones that knew her didn't.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

essexian

« Reply #1115 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:53:51 am »
I remember my mother awarding shop assistants a vicious glare and snapping ' don't patronise me!' The ones that knew her didn't.

I remember being shocked the first time someone in the Midlands (Wednesbury to be accurate) called me "Cock."

My grumble....Virgin Trains, do you think you will ever be able to get the 19.07 train from Euston to Stafford to arrive at Stafford at 20.26 as scheduled??? The train last night was 15 mins late meaning I missed my connection. Its the fourth time in 6 weeks I have used this train and the fourth time its been late.

Please get your act together.  >:(

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1116 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »
Ah. That's interesting.  You are not alone.  Mrs Lurker was fulminating about that very thing after a recent trip, last Friday as it happens, to our local metropolis.  I, coward that I am, let her rant.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1117 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »
Wrist - fix thyself!  OK so I was mean and made you do handwriting, get over it! You've been really good for the best part of a year, so go back to being nice and leaving the fucking up to the grotty elbow joint instead.  Especially as splinting the wrist buggers up the elbow anyway!  *eats pillz*

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1118 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »
I'm afraid I am a profligate user of sweetheart, petal, hen, hinny, etc etc etc to many many people.  In my defence, it is in no way a reflection of my perception of the person's age - you're just as likely to get sweethearted by me at 8 as you are at 80.

« Reply #1119 on: 29 November, 2011, 02:06:54 pm »

A young (younger than some of my kids) lass in a shop called me (in a charming zomerzet accent) 'moi luv'.   

Very disconcerting, it was.

OTOH, I reduced a builder's labourer to apoplectic rage by calling him 'lad'.

A) All labourers get called 'lad' in leeds. No matter what their age. Actually, most of Yorkshire calls the assistant a 'lad' or 'boy', even it they are over 60.
B) He was 20 years younger than me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1120 on: 29 November, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
I'm afraid I am a profligate user of sweetheart, petal, hen, hinny, etc etc etc to many many people.  In my defence, it is in no way a reflection of my perception of the person's age - you're just as likely to get sweethearted by me at 8 as you are at 80.

Um...me too, though it's more often 'flower' or 'dove', which is just a version of Leeds' famously ubiquitous 'love'.  If you're really lucky, I might call you 'fruitbat' or 'petal'.  Hardly ever 'duck' unless I've been to the East Midlands recently.

mrcharly, you're right.  The lad can be any age at all.  I well remember a chippy in Bradford who had a 'lad' who went to school with Methuselah.
Getting there...

« Reply #1121 on: 29 November, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »

Well, I know that, I was going for comic effect.

And adding a whole extra train was exactly what they were doing, up to a few months ago. The train came into York, coupled to another at the platform, and we all got to Manchester without standing.

They even managed it the week before last, at Leeds. The train manager announced as we came into Leeds that, and I quote, "By some miracle, they've found another train..." and then cautioned us to hold tight if standing, as coupling up would involve a slight jolt.

The train back from Manchester was also a double, until the same time. Now, you've got two trainsworth of people, mostly weekenders going home, so carrying about 100 suitcases each, trying to get onto one train.

I assume the cut to one train was to do with money. After all, once they have our fares, they don't care if we sit or stand, and on that route there's not much choice of operator. It's that, get a bus (I've never looked into how many days that would take), or drive, which isn't useful to those of us without cars. So it's a nicely captive audience....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1122 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »
Sore lower back. On co-codamol & Diazepam (there's no 'woozy' emoticon) to try and relax it enough for me to be able to put my socks on. Having professional manipulations & doing recommended exercises, but...

No sculling, no gym, no cycling. Nor enthusiasm for much at all.   :(

CrinklyLion

« Reply #1123 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:42:26 pm »
Much sympathy heading your way from the Den!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1124 on: 01 December, 2011, 12:08:16 pm »
How kind!   :-*

I feel I need cake, but the lack of calorie-burning hours means I may look even more lumpy in lycra when I get back to doing these things.

Nah, sod it, I need cake.