Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576406 times)

essexian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #150 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »
I know it's seriously uncool to admit this, but I like 10cc
*runs and hides in shame*

Ah.... 10CC and school discos.... brings back memories of serious snogging and stuff.  ;D

« Reply #151 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »
I saw them once at Bingley Hall, near Stafford. Not the best show I've seen, nor the worst, but it was marred somewhat by the leaking roof and animal dung all over the floor (it being an agricultural show venue principally).

They did some catchy stuff, but it was fluff mainly, wasn't it?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #152 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:03:57 pm »
I saw them once at Bingley Hall, near Stafford.

I remember that gig  occurrring

« Reply #153 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »
June '77
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #154 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:11:28 pm »
Not only has what seems like half the blinking forum gone touring in Scotland or if not they're about to (and half of the half that haven't live there anyway) when I was the one that put it on my little list for this year but I really can't see it happening (and it's not fair and I shall sulk) but now to add insult to injury those gits at East Coast just sent me a blooming email that starts
Visit Scotland and surprise yourself
Well if I could I blooming well would, wouldn't I?  Do you have to rub salt in the wounds?

*wanders off mumbling and grumbling to see if there's any chocolate or cake hiding around here somewhere*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #155 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:14:05 pm »
I too had noticed that.

I'm hoping for a relative speed advantage due to lack of midge-related blood loss when they get back.   ;)

« Reply #156 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »
I know it's seriously uncool to admit this, but I like 10cc
*runs and hides in shame*

Ah.... 10CC and school discos.... brings back memories of serious snogging and stuff.  ;D

Yeah, I think it's the feel-good factor of good memories that must be doing it for me too.
That and  those lyrics about hanging a picture on the wall to hide a nasty stain .... epic!!  ;D

« Reply #157 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:56:13 pm »
I too had noticed that.

I'm hoping for a relative speed advantage due to lack of midge-related blood loss when they get back.   ;)

Too early for midges :smug:

(probably - I certainly encountered none).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #158 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:58:00 pm »
*Grumble grumble GIT mumble mumble GIT can't even get to the bloody chocolate because there's a GIT meeting in there GIT*

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #159 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »
June '77

blood&sand  :o where does the time go?I would not have guessed that it was 30 odd years ago.

« Reply #160 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:26:58 pm »
Well past their prime by then as well. Deceptive Bends was their swansong in the original line up, I think.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #161 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
I too had noticed that.

(probably - I certainly encountered none).

It might be to early for midges in your northern climes.
We've had big fat mozzies sucking our blood for several weeks Darn Sarf.

ravenbait

« Reply #162 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:06:22 pm »
Not only has what seems like half the blinking forum gone touring in Scotland or if not they're about to (and half of the half that haven't live there anyway) when I was the one that put it on my little list for this year but I really can't see it happening (and it's not fair and I shall sulk) but now to add insult to injury those gits at East Coast just sent me a blooming email that starts
Visit Scotland and surprise yourself
Well if I could I blooming well would, wouldn't I?  Do you have to rub salt in the wounds?

*wanders off mumbling and grumbling to see if there's any chocolate or cake hiding around here somewhere*

Well you're welcome chez Raven for coffee, cake and chupa chups if you ever make it this far North.

Sam

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #163 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »
chupa chups.

I didn't know they still made Chupa Chups!   :thumbsup: I remeber when I was a wean getting a few Chupa Chups from the corner sweetie shop with my pocket money!   ;D

ravenbait

« Reply #164 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:19:46 pm »
I just bought two bags of them from Morrison's up the road.

Sam

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #165 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »
what's a chupa chup?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #166 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:33:52 pm »
toothrotonnastick

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #167 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »
toothrotonnastick

Indeed. A lollipop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #168 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:54:25 pm »

It's never too early for midges.

My legs are already covered in scabs, and it's only May.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #169 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »
Bugger.  I've missed the cheap tickets.  I'm going to have to buy an Off Peak Open Return.

Still cheaper than the petrol money, though.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #170 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »

It's never too early for midges.

My legs are already covered in scabs, and it's only May.

My legs are covered in scabs.  It's mostly pedal strike.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #171 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »
Self: Your logic was impeccable; buy a replacement padlock for the motorbike lock/chain & it turned up very quickly.

However, did it not dawn on you that you had to buy a new lock as the old one was locked shut around the chain ends & you can't find the keys? No, it didn't, did it!

So, you now have a nice, shiny & very expensive padlock sitting useless!

Makes mental note to dig out angle grinder tomorrow to try to remove the old one (& set the garage on fire in the process!)

« Reply #172 on: 21 May, 2011, 08:06:52 pm »
We're Ecover liquid / wash ball users.   Nobody complained at the NTRWCW but maybe you were all being polite  :P

I must admit that I've rejected a B&B because of the very strong smell of the laundry detergent on the bedding.

Most washing powders are ok on other people's clothes, we only tend to notice it on things we're sleeping on like your aforementioned B&B and things Kim or I might wear.  It's one of those not worth the allergy risks, I was in 1995 allergic to Fairy powder, creeping rash of d00m.  The recipe may have changed but I'd rather not risk it so I simply avoid on principle.  Kim gets eczema probably related to her asthma so we try not to meddle with stuff we don't know about. 

We stick to supermarket brand fake-persil which seems to work and not kill either of us and if they stop making it or change recipes we inevitably have great fun trying to find a suitable replacement.   We halve the recommended amount of powder in our washes and have at times double rinsed everything. 

My bold: - we just use Tesco non-bio tablets (essentially compressed powder) and we use one not two per wash. With the efficiency of washing we get from our machine (a Bosch, which is noticeably better then the preceeding Hoover and Zanussi ones) this is sufficient for almost everything - and at 30 degrees as well. And of cousre it's a non-perfumed powder.  I'm guessing that the item I bought must have been in some variant of Persil or Aeriel, but one of our neighbours uses it - we can smell their washing on the line from a range of 10m!

Buggerit - the Tesco tabs I bought yesterday now have "added fragrence"   :sick:   I don't want to stink of your bloody fragrence!!!!!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LindaG

« Reply #173 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »
I note the impressive run of dry weather we've had lately. Which contrasts nicely with the bloody torrential bloody rain we have had all week on holiday. Not fair. Want to go home. :-(

« Reply #174 on: 21 May, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »
I note the impressive run of dry weather we've had lately. Which contrasts nicely with the bloody torrential bloody rain we have had all week on holiday. Not fair. Want to go home. :-(

Rain on Arran is better than sun on Teesside, surely? 

But yeah, it is a bit annoying.