Author Topic: Portsmouth ferry security checks?  (Read 11285 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Portsmouth ferry security checks?
« Reply #25 on: 30 September, 2019, 10:27:24 pm »
That would appear to ban meths, too.
It's a disgusting habit anyway  :hand:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Davef

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:32:41 am »
.... and for a flight back from Asia in the late 80s I was told I could not check in a 3 foot long sword as it might get damaged in the hold and would have to take it as hand luggage. Different times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2019, 07:45:39 am »
Hull-Zeebrugge this August we got pulled for checking (in the car). I had swiss army knife in my cabin bag and a couple of pen knives in the door pockets of the car. They took them out gave them a cursory glance and dropped them back in with no comment.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2019, 09:24:59 am »
Probably banned on trains too. I know gas canisters are. Not that anyone's checking as yet (apart from Eurostar of course). Presumably buses and coaches too, come to that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:56:25 am »
Probably banned on trains too. I know gas canisters are. Not that anyone's checking as yet (apart from Eurostar of course). Presumably buses and coaches too, come to that.

Only large gas canisters as in LPG size canisters. Normal sized gas cylinders for cooking when camping are not banned. At least they weren't a year ago, unless something changed in the last year.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:04:32 am »
On trains, buses or ferries?

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:05:07 am »
On trains, buses or ferries?

On Eurotunnel

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:08:01 am »
Okay. I've been told by people who probably know, but I haven't checked it, that all bottled gas is banned on trains in UK.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:47:12 am »
Okay. I've been told by people who probably know, but I haven't checked it, that all bottled gas is banned on trains in UK.

The main difference between one of those cheap catering stove butane cartridges and a can of hair-spray being that the pure butane is much less of an irritant...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:50:42 am »
I should think the hair spray is in breach of regulations too. In fact, there's probably rather a lot of things on trains every day that do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:00:15 pm »
I should think the hair spray is in breach of regulations too. In fact, there's probably rather a lot of things on trains every day that do.

Can we start with the scary drunk people, and leave the camping gas alone?

« Reply #36 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:33:40 pm »
I was one of three (I think) riders picked for a "random" security check, it seemed to be based on the answer to the question "You can't easily remove your bag can't you?"

Yes it was three of you, I was rider four and was told to ride straight round the outside of the canopy  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »

Re what you can take on trains,

if you actually read the national rail conditions of carriage on what can and can't be taken on a train, you'd find many a passenger shouldn't be travelling with what they are.

When I was more actively into archery, I found it amusing that the TFL limits were less strict than the national rail one, so you can take a bow that is upto 2m long on the underground, but you'll have to chop it down to 1.83m when you get on the train...

Not that anyone cares. I travelled with 7ft spears and shields and all sorts and noone cared. ditto 2.26m long ikea stuff...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »

Can we start with the scary drunk people, and leave the camping gas alone?
I'm sure there's a regulation about not being drunk on a train. And even if there isn't, it's illegal under $12 of the Licencing Act 1874 or something like that. Between laws and their application...

« Reply #39 on: 01 October, 2019, 03:37:55 pm »
I was one of three (I think) riders picked for a "random" security check, it seemed to be based on the answer to the question "You can't easily remove your bag can't you?"
Yes it was three of you, I was rider four and was told to ride straight round the outside of the canopy D
Similar experience at Poole (17 Aug) (but not Cherbourg) and Newhaven (2 Sep) (but not Dieppe). Lesson identified is that if there are other punters (riders) around, dally to let them get ahead and be 'picked'. By the time you get to triage, they'll have checked their 'quota' for that sailing; and wave you through.

« Reply #40 on: 01 October, 2019, 05:11:45 pm »
As a regular traveler on portsmouth ferries with groups of cyclists , one or two of the group all ways get a pull.
Quick look in the top of the saddle bag and if your lucky your shoes get a trip through the machine.
Normally ask a few questions.

I think they go on how dodgy you look. Hence those from Pompey got a pull whilst those from Midhurst got waved through. Southampton got a full body cavity search.  ;D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #41 on: 01 October, 2019, 05:30:07 pm »

Yes it was three of you, I was rider four and was told to ride straight round the outside of the canopy  ;D

Annoying thing was I'd dropped back a bit after faffing past passport control and pushed on to the front of the group on the way towards security.
Trying to remember who the 3rd rider was.
A Scot and an American made up the first 2... dodgy as eh!