Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2963017 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22750 on: 12 January, 2021, 12:48:49 pm »
SCSI had clips.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22751 on: 12 January, 2021, 01:20:48 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22752 on: 12 January, 2021, 02:48:38 pm »
I think you clipped that bit...  ;D

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22753 on: 12 January, 2021, 02:56:11 pm »
One good thing...

All SCART cables were crossover cables.
Connecting ins to outs.
So there was no distinction as to whether a device was a source or sink; all devices were wired the same.

No messing around with oh, does this config need a straight-through or crossover cable like you had with DIN cables and tape recorders.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22754 on: 12 January, 2021, 03:00:59 pm »
You did often need a Terminator though.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22755 on: 12 January, 2021, 03:56:52 pm »
That was the horrid format that you plugged in the back of the device and then a few seconds later it would pop out because the cable was about as flexible as a broom handle?

That's the one, though it isn't really the cable's fault.  It's the barely-fit-for-purpose connector.  With the pinout cunningly arranged to ensure all sorts of comedy behaviour with the connector in its natural state of partial-disconnection.

Cables as thick as your thumb weren't a popping-out risk in the heady days of SCSI and Centronics, after all...
SCART. Some Chap's* Already Ruined This

* Other words are available.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #22756 on: 12 January, 2021, 05:15:12 pm »
What is all this recording TV business anyway? How quaint.
In our household we still talk of taping a programme even though our last VCR went for recycling a decade or more ago.  Incidentally, are the data from the Great Surrey Bear Census of 2020 to be published any time soon?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22757 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:00:00 pm »
One good thing...

All SCART cables were crossover cables.
Connecting ins to outs.
So there was no distinction as to whether a device was a source or sink; all devices were wired the same.

For 'playing fast and loose with pin 16[1]' values of "wired the same".

[1] See, that's traumatised itself into my memory.  The RGB switching one that was inconsistently abused to detect whether the plug had fallen out video was playing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22758 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:00:38 pm »
Incidentally, are the data from the Great Surrey Bear Census of 2020 to be published any time soon?

I was wondering about that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22759 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:42:46 pm »
Certainly those cockgobblers at ITV4 are guilty of allowing recording of live TdF coverage to switch itself off even when they extend the actual broadcast because the pelican has been idling, halted by angry farmers or tear-gassed by les flics, so if you start watching the recording an hour or two after it started in order to ffwd through the shitverts you can end up missing the stage winner crossing the line and having to wait for the highlights to learn the fate of $JUMPER/plucky BRITONS/Super D Millar's latest wankhat.

You could try some manual padding, although I'm not sure it'd extend the broadcast by enough.

The maximum you can set on my Humax is ten minutes, which still wasn’t enough for a couple of stages of the 2020 Tour.  If there’s a way of setting the recording timer wossname manually then I ent found it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22760 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:49:43 pm »
I've got a few of those vintage scart cables that you are welcome to   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22761 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:57:57 pm »
Central heating boiler is dead. Brr.  :'(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #22762 on: 16 January, 2021, 01:53:52 pm »
Certainly those cockgobblers at ITV4 are guilty of allowing recording of live TdF coverage to switch itself off even when they extend the actual broadcast because the pelican has been idling, halted by angry farmers or tear-gassed by les flics, so if you start watching the recording an hour or two after it started in order to ffwd through the shitverts you can end up missing the stage winner crossing the line and having to wait for the highlights to learn the fate of $JUMPER/plucky BRITONS/Super D Millar's latest wankhat.

You could try some manual padding, although I'm not sure it'd extend the broadcast by enough.

The maximum you can set on my Humax is ten minutes, which still wasn’t enough for a couple of stages of the 2020 Tour.  If there’s a way of setting the recording timer wossname manually then I ent found it.

A quick google suggests there may be undocumented ways of doing so....

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/schedule-a-recording-manually.6906/

So maybe worth a question on one of the Humax fora?

I also saw somewhere that the padding time can be set up to 1hr

https://support.icetv.com.au/hc/en-us/articles/227080947-How-do-I-setup-timer-padding-on-the-Humax-or-Why-do-I-miss-the-end-of-my-shows
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #22763 on: 22 January, 2021, 04:04:04 pm »
Prudential: I didn't choose you, my former employer did. We spoke just before Christmas and the consultant told me that my AVC money could be expected in 15-18 working days. Getting that far was a palaver, but at least you called me. That time has now expired and still no money, so I thought I'd call you to expedite things. You're still citing the same IT issues that you had the last time I had the misfortune to call you, which didn't inspire confidence. Three times I've called this week. Call 1 - expected wait time 40 minutes; call 2: expected waiting time 30 minutes, neither of which I had time for. Today I called and got an expected waiting time of 50 minutes, so I fired up the Scrabble on the iPad and settled down. Exactly 50 minutes later - after a reminder every 15 seconds (I timed it), just to really piss people off (and to make most hang up, I'm sure), you answered.

The news that I now have to wait 39 days for my payment came as an unexpected and unwanted surprise. Did it not occur to you that I might be needing that money (I'm not, but that's not the point)? Did it not also dawn on you that more than doubling the waiting time for payment should be communicated to your policy holders? Obviously not. Thankfully, in anticipation of such bollocks, I had opted to take your dissatisfaction survey. That was the only fun part of the whole experience.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #22764 on: 26 January, 2021, 01:55:43 pm »
Bastard council. I have a grit bin outside my house. Someone has been using the grit bin as a rubbish bin, so it is full of cigarette ends, tobacco pouches, cake/chocolate/sweet wrappers, & takeaway boxes.

Today the council have been to refill the grit. On finding it full of rubbish their solution was to throw all of it in my garden.

« Reply #22765 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:26:19 pm »
Fucking Farceache. Why is “4.1.7.0” against your “community guidelines”???  >:(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22766 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:28:30 pm »
Does it spell something rude if you turn your monitor umop-ap!sdn?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22767 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:31:39 pm »

It's parsing it as an IP address?

« Reply #22768 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:47:53 am »

It's parsing it as an IP address?

Possibly, although it's actually a software version number. Thankfully all versions have thus far ended in ".0" so easy enough (if you remember  ::-)) to leave it off.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22769 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:29:30 am »
Does it spell something rude if you turn your monitor umop-ap!sdn?

No but I did my back in finding out. I'll send you the chiropracter's bills ;D

« Reply #22770 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:27:52 pm »
eBay, how the fuck is Coventry not somewhere in the UK when it comes to shipping from Manchester, UK? And why are you stopping me from either paying or removing the items from the shopping basket?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22771 on: 04 February, 2021, 02:53:34 pm »
eBay, how the fuck is Coventry not somewhere in the UK when it comes to shipping from Manchester, UK? And why are you stopping me from either paying or removing the items from the shopping basket?

To be fair, Coventry is somewhat disjointed from time (it's like stepping back into the 1970s) - what's to say it's doesn't also exist in its own universe?   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22772 on: 04 February, 2021, 04:45:59 pm »

To be fair, Coventry is somewhat disjointed from time (it's like stepping back into the 1970s) - what's to say it's doesn't also exist in its own universe?   ;D

The ring road certainly functions as a sort of event horizon.   :hand:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22773 on: 04 February, 2021, 05:10:17 pm »
I concur - I once got stuck on the Cov ring road, could see where I wanted to get, but it took me three attempts to work out how to get from one to the other, with a twat-nav insisting I could just turn left mid-ring-road
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22774 on: 04 February, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
Coventry.  No bloody street names on the inner city streets.
Having cycled there to a meeting, I had only a rough diamagraphical map. This was useless as I couldn't figure out where I was. No road name anywhere. Checked all the side streets. Not one of them had a name plate.
'"Scuse me, what is the name of this road?"
"Sorry, I'm not local"

Repeat endless times.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.