Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1289961 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7100 on: 21 August, 2020, 02:43:35 pm »
Is it me, or is it a shape change, rather than just size inflation?  The waist to hip ratio seems to be getting progressively sillier.
Absolutely.... I struggle to get things to fit and I am not very slimline. Oddly I seem to find some American sizes better, especially the "curvy" range if they have it. I am getting quite fed up with jeans etc that are tight on the hips and miles to large around the waist.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7101 on: 21 August, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
I'm not made for jeans but my M&S pull-up trousers are about 13cm too big on the waist if they fit on the hip. I have these in three sizes depending on my fatness. Pull-ups that won't pull up are a FAIL... (I need pull-ups for other issues.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7102 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:39:23 pm »
At the angiologist today, he asks my height and weight and I tell him, adding "BMI's a bit higher than it should be", he says "nah, it's fine, you're thin". I say "????", he says "yeah, slightly overweight is thin these days".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

simonp

« Reply #7103 on: 21 August, 2020, 05:09:04 pm »
At the angiologist today, he asks my height and weight and I tell him, adding "BMI's a bit higher than it should be", he says "nah, it's fine, you're thin". I say "????", he says "yeah, slightly overweight is thin these days".

He's got bigger fish to fry.

« Reply #7104 on: 27 August, 2020, 06:35:25 am »
Getting out of the house everyday and into a routine has greatly helped. Still not the most stable diet (still keto-ish), but being kept away from snacks/fridge has helped.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7105 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:20:40 am »
I decided - again - that something must be done. I was talking to my Aussie daughter about this and she, who works in health policy, suggested an online programme called Noom* as it has, apparently, had a lot of good results.

You download an app and sign up for a trial period of a fortnight, which I think cost me about £15. It's not particularly cheap but I think it costs less per year than Slimming World or Weight Watchers. After my fortnight was up, I paid £139 for 8 months. It points out that it's not a diet but an attitude-changing programme which enables you to manage your food intake and exercise and hopefully improve your health along the way. Almost inevitably this will involve losing weight. There's quite a bit of psychology involved.

It's very American, but once you've got over that (and if I can get over that, I suspect that pretty well anyone can) it is helpful. It forces you to think about what you are doing. Every morning there's about 10 minutes' worth of reading about stuff. You weigh yourself every day and log it in the app. You log all your food and it counts your calories for you. There is a step counter embedded in the app, but there is a way of linking it to your fitbit, which I use: I've always got my fitbit in my pocket but don't carry my mobile phone around everywhere. Foods are divided into 3 categories and given green, amber and red colour codes, the red being the highest in calorific density.

So - does it work? Well, I started on the programme in early July and in that time I've lost about a stone. It's been pretty gradual but that's fine. I quite like the programme and the way it makes me think about everything I bung in my gob. No foods are off-limits, but there is  obviously a quid pro quo. I suspect that I will be subscribing for life. It lacks the weekly weigh-in and the way that tended to lead to fluctuation for me when I was with SW and, most days, you weigh exactly the same as the day before. It costs me about the same for 8 months as I was previously spending on booze in about 2 months.

Oh, after your trial period is over, you are introduced to a group of like-minded "Noomers". My group is all British, mostly women, and there seems to be a larger-than-the-national-average number of teachers in there. We are still at the stage that we are quite formal and stilted with one another. There's a forum-style conversation pit overseen by an American Group Leader.

*So named because you ask yourself "How big is my bum?" when looking in the mirror...?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7106 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:55:50 am »
Tcha. Wow, you've been had. In the UK you should be trying Second Nature.
They spell colour properly.

Nick H.

« Reply #7107 on: 17 September, 2020, 10:27:29 am »
I've been in ketosis for 2 or 3 days. Watch this space!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7108 on: 17 September, 2020, 02:23:45 pm »
Good luck with it, I hope Keto suits you.

It suits me brilliantly and I am really healthy with it. I hope it works the same for you.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7109 on: 17 September, 2020, 04:41:25 pm »
Tcha. Wow, you've been had. In the UK you should be trying Second Nature.
They spell colour properly.

They probably call a swede a swede as well. But - they missed out I'm afraid. Also, it seems to be quite a bit more expensive...

Nick H.

« Reply #7110 on: 17 September, 2020, 04:54:40 pm »

It suits me brilliantly and I am really healthy with it. I hope it works the same for you.
Well, my first question is, how can you blog about CAKE and do keto???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7111 on: 17 September, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »
Helen buys it just to keep up appearances! You don't think she eats it, do you?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7112 on: 17 September, 2020, 06:10:43 pm »

I make some very tasty Keto cakes!

But I am also able to have a cake slice on a ride without going out of ketosis, so I am lucky.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7113 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:25:27 pm »
I see the Butterfly is getting lighter - nearly a stone down in old money; well done!

I am detecting a ketotic aroma occasionally and my clothes aren't getting tighter.

We're still eating CAKE but in TINY slices.

« Reply #7114 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:22:57 pm »
I see the Butterfly is getting lighter - nearly a stone down in old money; well done!

I am detecting a ketotic aroma occasionally and my clothes aren't getting tighter.

Thanks Helly. It feels incredibly slow!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7115 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »

Best that way; you have a MUCH better chance of keeping it off if you lose slowly!

Your eating habits need to be sustainable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7116 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:51:07 pm »

One of the things that Noom stressed in one of my early-morning pep-reads a week or so ago was how losing weight becomes continually harder to maintain the more weight you lose. One of the things they suggested was to do some strength exercises and also some aerobics, as increasing muscle mass means you burn more calories when at rest. Nothing fancy: I've bought myself some 2kg dumb-bells for some light weight work, and I've also tried running on the spot for a minute at a time.

Quite apart from getting the pulse a bit faster, and also the breathing rate, the latter really brings it home to a chap, in a manner which perhaps should have been more obvious than it was, precisely why it is that ladies wear bras.

Nick H.

« Reply #7117 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:22:50 pm »

But I am also able to have a cake slice on a ride without going out of ketosis, so I am lucky.

Once I have settled into keto maybe I'll manage a little CAKE now and then. But I'm not sure I want to risk switching the cravings on. Having finally twigged that oat milk wasn't helping, and switching it for lashings of DOUBLE CREAM, I'm in a place where the weight is falling off but I never have any pangs for anything on the forbidden list.

I shall now go and make another pot of Posh coffee, and raid the fridge for the many delicious things which I can eat as much as I like of. Yum!!

« Reply #7118 on: 15 October, 2020, 02:00:44 pm »
I decided - again - that something must be done. I was talking to my Aussie daughter about this and she, who works in health policy, suggested an online programme called Noom* as it has, apparently, had a lot of good results.
How's that going?
Considering something along those lines and Noom is one of those on the short list.

« Reply #7119 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:48:33 am »

Once I have settled into keto maybe I'll manage a little CAKE now and then. But I'm not sure I want to risk switching the cravings on. Having finally twigged that oat milk wasn't helping, and switching it for lashings of DOUBLE CREAM, I'm in a place where the weight is falling off but I never have any pangs for anything on the forbidden list.

I shall now go and make another pot of Posh coffee, and raid the fridge for the many delicious things which I can eat as much as I like of. Yum!!

I have a keto banana/coconut bread/cake recipe as my fallback when I really want cake...usually doused liberally with peanut butter.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7120 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:54:19 am »
How's that going?
Considering something along those lines and Noom is one of those on the short list.

It's OK, it you can stomach the USAnian-ness of it.

Since early July I've lost about 1 st 10lb.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7121 on: 17 October, 2020, 05:04:23 pm »
Someone here seems to be losing weight successfully!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7122 on: 17 October, 2020, 05:52:56 pm »
Don't you get that terrible feeling of déjà vu?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7123 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:11:06 pm »
Don't you get that terrible feeling of déjà vu?

Not really; that poster is doing well, having not previously done so.

Others might have their triumphs, which should be lauded. If someone has a baby, congratulating them is fine, even if you've congratulated new parents before...

« Reply #7124 on: 20 October, 2020, 12:04:24 pm »
On and off for the last couple of years I've had intermittent foot pain, which mostly bothered me after long bike rides and stopped me running pretty much.

Finally I went to a physio to get it sorted out, well he sent me to a consultant, who did an MRI. Turns out I broke my foot about 5 years ago (I remember the incident well, A&E told me it was soft tissue). I now for my pains have arthritic joints in the cuboid bone from the damage done by my body compensating for the weakened foot.  Some of which is fixable by the doctors (I'm wearing a boot for 6 weeks to reduce the swelling and then possibly surgery or injections)

Meanwhile I'm under doctors orders to start loosing 30 kilos off my body weight to reduce the impact damage, I've rejoined slimming world, it's going to be a bit challenging I guess.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.