Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100967 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: The Dean
« Reply #75 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:59:17 pm »
ACH is pleased to announce that The Dean is scheduled for 25-Mar-2017

However, this year the rewards won't be quite the same as those years previous.  The AAA has been recalculated and will be reduced to more accurately reflect the climbing in the ride.  It will apparently be reduced to 2.5AAA!

Save Our Dean

What to do?
- 'Beef it up' a bit to bring it  back to it's former glory?
- Construct a DeAAAn to run alongside the classic route?
Or just
- Leave it alone as a timeless classic that should never be tampered with?
definitely don't beef it up.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #76 on: 15 October, 2016, 06:40:51 am »
Is that still a way to claim AAA points via GPX? I don't keep up with such things

That still works for "Advisory Route" DIY entries.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #77 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:06:53 am »
"keen" riders could just do multiple reps of Cumnor Hill at the end of the ride until they turn blue.

(Is that still a way to claim AAA points via GPX? I don't keep up with such things... )

Is that still a way to claim AAA points via GPX? I don't keep up with such things

To be clear, in the case of "Hill Repeats"...

Ride up and down the same hill from different directions, no problems...

Ride up and down the same hill repeatedly on the same road, problems...

I'd avoid the word 'still', as this inevitably causes Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).

The thing to appreciate is that whilst new approaches to validating Brevets have been introduced, all brevet events comply to the same fundamental principles and they have not changed.

Organisers Handbook: Routes may NOT include multiple passes over the same circuit (i.e. repeated loops).

« Reply #78 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:12:03 am »
Going from 0 to 4AAA was a bit of a debacle. What's caused the revision this time?

We route checked it more than a fortnight before this year, so did it as a diy and thus our tracks were scrutinised by the AAA man. What was the debacle before? Was it contour counted?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #79 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:33:49 am »
I've done the Dean three or four times and, although it is has hilly sections, it never had the feel (to me) of being a AAAudacious event such as the Elenith or the Hardboiled.  Certainly, the times I took to get round it were consistent with a non-AAA event with rolling hills rather than one with AAA points.  However, it may also be that the nature of the hills on the Dean are more conducive to my riding style.  With or without points its still a very good route and the points won't impact my decision whether or not to ride it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

simonp

« Reply #80 on: 16 October, 2016, 12:18:37 pm »
Going from 0 to 4AAA was a bit of a debacle. What's caused the revision this time?

We route checked it more than a fortnight before this year, so did it as a diy and thus our tracks were scrutinised by the AAA man. What was the debacle before? Was it contour counted?

I believe it was originally 3900m (0 AAA). It was recalculated to 4000m (no idea how) and this made it 4AAA. The problem isn't in the measurement, errors do occur. The problem is in the binary nature of the AAA rules since they were changed. I think under the old system it would have gone from 0 to 0.25.

Manotea

« Reply #81 on: 16 October, 2016, 01:57:06 pm »
My impression was that at 3900 it was declared to be in 'the margin of error' of the threshold for AAA points for a 300km and allocated 4 points on that basis. Its possible Steve has since elected to give greater considertaion to isolating hilly stretches within the overall route (inspired by processing marginal DIYs?) and decided to reduce the tariff on that basis. 2.5AAA does seem more in keeping with my experience of the route. The first and last stages are more or less flat. Yes , I know the approach to Stow is uphill but I said more or less.. :)

« Reply #82 on: 18 October, 2016, 06:31:49 pm »
"keen" riders could just do multiple reps of Cumnor Hill at the end of the ride until they turn blue.

(Is that still a way to claim AAA points via GPX? I don't keep up with such things... )

To be clear, in the case of "Hill Repeats"...

Ride up and down the same hill from different directions, no problems...

Ride up and down the same hill repeatedly on the same road, problems...

I'd avoid the word 'still', as this inevitably causes Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD).

The thing to appreciate is that whilst new approaches to validating Brevets have been introduced, all brevet events comply to the same fundamental principles and they have not changed.

Organisers Handbook: Routes may NOT include multiple passes over the same circuit (i.e. repeated loops).

For an Advisory Route DIY, the rider has (of course) to pass through the controls, and complete the distance, within the time allowed. I don't think the org is supposed to scrutinise the whole of the actual route taken, or to criticise it (anyway, the sort of extra climbs involved will be in addition to the conventional route) - so the AAA Man is able to award AAAs if enough metres have been climbed per km of actual distance ridden.

Wrong?

Manotea

« Reply #83 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:49:19 pm »
I've referred this to the powers that be. :)

« Reply #84 on: 18 October, 2016, 10:47:45 pm »
Its possible Steve has since elected to give greater considertaion to isolating hilly stretches within the overall route
I suspect you are probably correct.
A cursory look at the elevation profile would suggest the 160km stretch from Newent to crossing the Ridgeway north of Lambourn might be sufficiently 'scenic' to qualify for the 2.5 AAA points. 

If the first section from Peartree to, say, Cleeve Hill were an event in it's own right it might attract a point (or maybe only .75) - but IIRC you can only count one section, and if you combine the distances the overall hilliness looks like it isn't (quite) sufficient.

« Reply #85 on: 18 October, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
Last time I looked at it (based on the route in 2008/2009) the closest section to qualify for AAA points (under the old system) was the stretch from Stow to the top of the climb at St Briavels, it was only a few meters short.

(I was in the Monmouth/Abergavenny area this weekend, made me want to ride lots of these rides again...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hillbilly

« Reply #86 on: 19 October, 2016, 07:33:39 am »
The new points perfectly reflect the reality of this ride. Hilly in sections but not all the way around. If I remember, it surprised me when it was reclassified as having gained enough climb to be "full fat". 

Whilst I'm sure it will still be a pleasant way to explore the back roads between Oxford and Chepstow, I personally hope the route isn't changed simply for the sake of a few more AAA points. I've always found it a wonderfully precocious route, weather permitting, with just the right amount of challenge and interest for those bold enough to ride just over 300km before the clocks change.

« Reply #87 on: 19 October, 2016, 10:32:18 pm »
I think we'll leave it  ;)

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #88 on: 23 October, 2016, 08:04:55 pm »
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #89 on: 03 February, 2017, 08:32:08 pm »
Big thanks to Mightee Bikee Mikee for solo reliability check.  The official ACH reliability check is next week - complete with newbie Audaxer and bar man from The Salisbury Hotel.  Wish him luck folks. Let's hope he pedals as mean as his well served Gamma Ray.

Meanwhile, back at Castle ACH, entries swell : 63 at last count!  You know the routine with The Dean folks.  Start at Oxtree (good portmanteau aye?) with the option of a finnish at Oxford Station to get the lastyrains or re-org at Oxtree for luxury petsonalised brevet collection -with Granny Jones'  Winter broth and Beavertown ale's - this year we're indoors as it was a bit parky last year aye?!

ACH

« Reply #90 on: 04 February, 2017, 06:38:19 am »
Is it filling quick? How many cards?

cgg

« Reply #91 on: 04 February, 2017, 11:21:38 am »
I'm looking at transport options from London. Earliest train arrives at Oxford at 06:21 and then I still have to ride to the start so I guess it's a no go. An ECE to 400 would add an element of fun but I'm not sure I want that either. More pondering is required.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #92 on: 04 February, 2017, 11:09:17 pm »
I'm looking at transport options from London. Earliest train arrives at Oxford at 06:21 and then I still have to ride to the start so I guess it's a no go. An ECE to 400 would add an element of fun but I'm not sure I want that either. More pondering is required.

Travelodge next to the park and ride?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

simonp

« Reply #93 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »
Family room and share with another rider to keep the cost down.

Manotea

« Reply #94 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »
I ve a bed free in the Peartree  travelodge on the saturday night and will be driving up from London W4 on Saturday morning.

« Reply #95 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:47:49 am »
There are two frequent 24 hour bus services (X90 and Oxford Tube) from London to Oxford and both take bikes.

« Reply #96 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:45:33 am »
I just booked the Travelodge and entered- rooms are only £39 today. (37.05 with a business account)

« Reply #97 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:58:17 am »
Any emails sent out by the organisers yet?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

simonp

« Reply #98 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:03:52 am »
I've not seen anything yet. I guess I'll think about it next week, this week I have to worry about the Cheltenham Flyer.

« Reply #99 on: 15 March, 2017, 11:36:21 pm »
Any emails sent out by the organisers yet?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Hit us with your questions - Happy to help  ;)