Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100992 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:10:34 am »
In for a penny, in for £10.50! The Dean is the only event I've ridden in each of my three year's membership, so why stop? I should manage a beer at the end, before the short ride home.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2016, 04:43:53 pm »
There's far too much Real Life going on for me to give Audax much of a time slot at the moment - and Audax is nothing if not a huge drain on spare time.

I'll be driving the VC167 transporter down from The North, but will be dealing with Real Life stuff on Saturday instead of riding  ::-).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »
Sorry to hear this Chris S - You are most welcome to join us at Camp Audax Club Hackney on Saturday at anytime where there will be a distinct absence of real life.  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »
Bring a large vessel and a sense of humor.  And a spork  :demon:

« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:15:07 pm »
'Neck Oil' (session IPA) 4.3%
'Gamma Ray' (American Pale Ale) 5.4%
'8-Ball' (Rye IPA) 6.2%
x1 can of special edition 'Double Neck Oil' 8.5% will also be awarded during the course of the evening.

I am going to have to go up to beavertown* myself on Saturday in order to allay my sadness at missing this car park piss-fest

*not a euphemism

« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:25:09 pm »
82-entries and counting folks  :thumbsup:

No worries about entering on the day in case you were wondering  :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #31 on: 18 March, 2016, 12:07:33 pm »
Forecast for tomorrow looks tolerable, cold and overcast but at least dry.  Northeast wind could make the return leg tough going.  My first calendar event, and first 300km.

Did I see something about food at the start? or is it just at the end?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 18 March, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
There was a headwind back from Chepstow a couple of years ago, and I had gone too hard or not eaten enough and had bonked at Chepstow. It was a bit slow back to Malmesbury but then I picked up.

If the forecast is accurate then this will be far from the worst conditions I've experienced on The Dean, which would be 2008, where cresting the Hackmen Hill climb brought you into the teeth of a gale with driving rain, or so it felt, and if the time limit hadn't been based on 14.3kph that year, I'd have been OOT. In 2010, I think, I finished in around 15h.

« Reply #33 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:03:22 pm »
Season not going well. 50 kids at a school I was at on Wed off sick. Now I'm cold and don't feel great. Off to bed now. If I'm there, I'm there (if only for the beer!).

« Reply #34 on: 19 March, 2016, 03:37:57 am »
Well. I was all ready, but can't keep breakfast cereal bars down. Another DNS this year :(

« Reply #35 on: 19 March, 2016, 03:26:50 pm »
62-started with just 2-known packed
Sorry for any confusion at the start Re. new position for registration
Hope you are all still enjoying the ride
Broth and Ale will be ready for Arrivee

« Reply #36 on: 19 March, 2016, 05:44:37 pm »
That's very fine Organising, Mr Hackney!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2016, 10:34:58 pm »
I can confirm that the NE wind was indeed a bit tough. I've ridden the Dean every year since 2009 and for me this was the toughest, not helped by ridding the whole thing on my own.  But you know, it could have been worse. Back at the train station 6.40 :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #38 on: 20 March, 2016, 12:10:31 am »
I can confirm that the NE wind was indeed a bit tough. I've ridden the Dean every year since 2009 and for me this was the toughest, not helped by ridding the whole thing on my own.  But you know, it could have been worse. Back at the train station 6.40 :)

that;s good to know, I was close to packing at Membury services, the section from Malmesbury to Membury was probably the slowest 50km I have ever done.  I just felt wrecked, no legs and so tired it was unbelievable. I had been thinking of entering Severn across if this went well, but at the end of the ride decided a flatter 400 would make more sense. Now it seams the Severn Across could be viable provided there is a south westerly wind.

Also a good job the white horse on the second climb was on the right side of the road, while the horse on the first climb was on the left, or I might have felt I was stuck in a horrific time loop.

If there had been an easy way back to Oxford from there I may well have taken it.  luckily after a short rest and a lot of food  (which was more expensive, less satisfying and took longer to acquire than the weatherspoons in Chepstow)

thanks to the organisers and the originator for a great ride, I loved the costwolds and the forest of dean, and even the climb up to the Somerset monument was challenging rather than painful. my next action is to work out how to make my garmin last longer, it died at Cumnor, luckily easy peasy to get back from there but a pain having to join gpx files together for the full ride

things I learned

eat more, controls are for stodgy food, and sugary foods for between controls.
on longer rides, make my own gps files for each section of the ride, the points were a little far apart, making the gps track a little vague in places
at each control read the routesheet for the next section, and note any "easily missed" turns
garmin only lasts 15 hours from a full charge. bring means of topping up on long rides.

what went well
stopping at whetherspoons in chepstow, a bit of comfort in the middle of the ride, decent food, quick and cheap. I was amazed there weren't more cyclists using it. apparently you can even reserve tables if you can predict your arrival time.
layering, base layer, merino jersey, softshell, and gilet  seemed about right for this  (switch gilet for the hi vis rain jacket for the night section)

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:17:11 am »
A tough day with many minor issues. Front light cutting out when I hit a bump on the descent to Lambourn in the dark was the highlight.

« Reply #40 on: 20 March, 2016, 04:31:10 am »
Lovely route. Lrea
LFCC

« Reply #41 on: 20 March, 2016, 04:45:03 am »
Lovely route. Lrea
Meant to say :
Lovely route and reception at Peartree. The mini eggs were appreciated as I was too exhausted and cold to sample the broth and beer.

I learnt a few things out there. Need to be more chatty and ride with others as I spent far too long on my own or looking at someone else's wheel from 100+ metres. Look at the profile of the route in more detail as I was caught out by how much climbing there was and where the climbs occurred. Drink more. Take more layers for the night section.

On a more positive note I found that I can recover  (twice) from feeling too tired/ill to continue. Amazing what coffee, cake, a chat and a rest can do.

I will be back.
LFCC

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #42 on: 20 March, 2016, 08:31:06 am »

On a more positive note I found that I can recover  (twice) from feeling too tired/ill to continue. Amazing what coffee, cake, a chat and a rest can do.

I will be back.

So true,  I didn't think I'd finish but picked up a bit after going over the ridgeway,  even caught and passed some people after Stanford. In the Vale.

« Reply #43 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:59:09 am »

We must have been 5 minutes behind you passing the station!  For some reason, I went well yesterday.  I've done it evey year since 2011 - apart from the snowy one - and was round an hour quicker than I'd ever been before.  It was wonderful to see 'the dark section' from Lambourn Downs to Cumnor, in daylight.

« Reply #44 on: 20 March, 2016, 10:44:06 am »
Many Thanks to Club Hackney.
Car Park Camp was a top effort and the broth was spot on.
Great way to finish the ride.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #45 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:51:33 pm »
Thanks to ACH for the send off and welcome back. As ever a great - if tough at times - early season 300km... really nice not to have the anti-climax of the garage forecourt final control - the heat, chairs, tea, stew, and beer were great!

It was a grey day, so the photos don't really do it justice, but mine are here: http://bit.ly/22qvXUN
Starva track here: http://bit.ly/1Mvj2Ew

Andrew.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #46 on: 20 March, 2016, 02:02:53 pm »
Also big thanks to ACH for the car park camp, it was most welcome. Was quite tough at times on the return and thanks andyp and longflaps for the company and photos. Always find this first 300 of the year tough and now looking forward to the Easter arrow to York on Friday.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #47 on: 20 March, 2016, 03:42:36 pm »
really nice not to have the anti-climax of the garage forecourt final control - the heat, chairs, tea, stew, and beer were great!

Bet it was. Has it ever even happened before?
Great ride the Dean. Like to think I'd ride it again some day.
Garry Broad

« Reply #48 on: 20 March, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
Oh no! Sounds like I missed a good ride (apart from the wind). I wasn't sick again after I decided not to venture out. Now I can't say I've done the Dean every year since I joined (unless I perm/diy it). Very sad. The broth and beer sound a real treat too!

« Reply #49 on: 20 March, 2016, 07:35:34 pm »
Thank you very much to each and everyone of you who joined us to make this ride possible.  Thank also for your positive comments and thanks at Camp-ACH.  We at Castle Audax Club Hackney are very proud to be continuing this classic ride and I hope that you enjoyed yourselves at the event; I know we did.  :)

To those who finished in Oxford or couldn't be doing with the faff at Arrivee, please don't forget to post your brevets and receipts.

We also have a luminous yellow Carradice cover.  Please let us know if it's yours and we'll post on up.