Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 391441 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #1975 on: 16 July, 2022, 11:03:03 pm »
Spent the day on a hill above the runway at Fairford. No decent photos as only had phone and it was too bright to see screen.  Korean Black Eagles and Italian Frecce Tricolore made the Red Arrows look staid and dull. F35 just hovered a bit then fucked off. Spanish F18 was great, as were all the other fast jets.

how to make my pictures private

Fail.

No photo of Maverick.
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1976 on: 16 July, 2022, 11:28:34 pm »
Lakenheath has already received its first F-35s, and will end up with more than the entire UK Armed Forces will have. Alongside the existing F-15Es. The F-15C/D retired last month as the first F-35s arrived.

Time for a ride in that direction, though Lakenheath has far more fencing obscuring public view vs Mildenhall
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1977 on: 17 July, 2022, 06:41:00 am »

Fail.

No photo of Maverick.

I wasn't at the actual airshow, I was somewhere better, surrounded by sullen looking obese men, with goatee beards occupying a small portion of their balloon faced heads, in camo gear, with thousands of pounds worth of telephoto lenses, also camouflaged, stuffed into bowing camping chairs.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #1978 on: 17 July, 2022, 07:09:24 pm »
The place to be although also the hottest  :o was just under the E end of the runway in Whelford. Yesterday was sold out anyway so I had no problem with a free show, well worth the 43k ride from Didcot and back 8)

Loved the Reds with Boris Force One, although he thankfully won't be PM for much longer I think the name will stick like the bikes!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1979 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:03:00 pm »

Fail.

No photo of Maverick.

I wasn't at the actual airshow, I was somewhere better, surrounded by sullen looking obese men, with goatee beards occupying a small portion of their balloon faced heads, in camo gear, with thousands of pounds worth of telephoto lenses, also camouflaged, stuffed into bowing camping chairs.

No tattoos?!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #1980 on: 18 July, 2022, 07:55:55 am »
Air Force 1 went over a while back

not AF1 it's a Boeing E4 Doomsday plane

« Reply #1981 on: 21 July, 2022, 05:46:44 pm »
Yesterday, over my place of work, the distinctive sound of radially piston'd engines.
A Douglas DC3 Dakota.
Heading, I suspect, for Duxford.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1982 on: 31 July, 2022, 05:05:25 pm »
From half four onwards, repeated fly past of a Herc & 2 Typhoons in formation.  Suspect they were practicing for the Foot The Ball fly past.  The Typhoons were having to fly very nose up.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1983 on: 31 July, 2022, 05:08:29 pm »
Yep, switched the distascope on just in time to see them passing over Wem-ber-lee.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1984 on: 31 July, 2022, 05:38:37 pm »
From half four onwards, repeated fly past of a Herc & 2 Typhoons in formation.  Suspect they were practicing for the Foot The Ball fly past.  The Typhoons were having to fly very nose up.

You wouldn't have that issue with the BBMF, but a Lancaster and a couple of Spitfires might be seen as too... on the nose, perhaps? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1985 on: 31 July, 2022, 08:51:06 pm »

I think people have a distorted idea of the speed the Hercules travels at because it has propellors. The normal speed for a flypast such as today's would be 250-270kts, which is a perfectly acceptable speed for the Typhoons (note that the Voyager/Red Arrows flypast in Jaded's photos from RIAT would also have been at about that speed). If necessary, the C-130 can crank it up to 330kts, though it's not exactly comfortable doing so. However, that puts it among the fastest turboprop aircraft one might normally see. At high level, its cruise speed is around 340kts TAS (Mach 0.6-ish).

Having refuelled all kinds of fast jets from the C-130 tanker, the only one which I found had an issue was the Jaguar. With its tiny wing and very limited power, it developed so much drag at the normal refuel speed of 255kts that as the weight increased as it took on fuel, it would either lose contact or have to put one engine in reheat. The reheat control was very coarse, so it resulted in much hilarious oscillations around the ideal refuelling position, which would generally end up with a very undignified disconnect. And, of course, it was using more fuel than it was taking on in that configuration.

Edit: prolly worth pointing out (as the BBC failed to do) that the RAF flypast was entirely crewed by women, as is appropriate for the occasion.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1986 on: 31 July, 2022, 09:15:23 pm »
Lots of F15 activity over the house recently. Normally I see them in pairs, but recently a flight of 4, followed shortly by an Apache within missile range.  Also recently in the normal flight path an airliner-looking thing, with winglets, definitely not the usual C135 variants
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1987 on: 31 July, 2022, 09:19:21 pm »

I think people have a distorted idea of the speed the Hercules travels at because it has propellors. The normal speed for a flypast such as today's would be 250-270kts, which is a perfectly acceptable speed for the Typhoons (note that the Voyager/Red Arrows flypast in Jaded's photos from RIAT would also have been at about that speed). If necessary, the C-130 can crank it up to 330kts, though it's not exactly comfortable doing so. However, that puts it among the fastest turboprop aircraft one might normally see. At high level, its cruise speed is around 340kts TAS (Mach 0.6-ish).

Having refuelled all kinds of fast jets from the C-130 tanker, the only one which I found had an issue was the Jaguar. With its tiny wing and very limited power, it developed so much drag at the normal refuel speed of 255kts that as the weight increased as it took on fuel, it would either lose contact or have to put one engine in reheat. The reheat control was very coarse, so it resulted in much hilarious oscillations around the ideal refuelling position, which would generally end up with a very undignified disconnect. And, of course, it was using more fuel than it was taking on in that configuration.

I once saw Concorde in formation with a Spit and a Hurricane and the red arrows. I swear you could hear the Concorde’s stall alarm from the ground :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TimC

« Reply #1988 on: 31 July, 2022, 10:31:48 pm »
Concorde is a rather different case, as it has no lift-augmentation devices to make slow-speed flight a little easier - hence the high nose attitude on landing, relatively high approach speed, and the need for the droop-snoot. Nevertheless, it was quite comfortable at 300kts, the normal flypast speed they used, which was well within both the Hurricane’s and Spitfire’s capabilities and very easy for the Hawks of the Reds.

TheLurker

« Reply #1989 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:17:59 pm »
Quote from: TimC
..normal speed for a flypast such as today's would be 250-270kts, which is a perfectly acceptable speed for the Typhoons
Ta.  Question; is that the normal stooging around airspeed for a herc?  Reason I ask is that of the 4 or 5 runs that I saw the couple where the Typhoons were nose up looked slower to me than what I usually see.  Whether it actually was slower or was just me being optically deluded is another matter entirely.

> Edit: prolly worth pointing out (as the BBC failed to do) that the RAF flypast was entirely crewed by women, as is appropriate for the occasion.
I made damn sure that I dragged MrsL to the window and pointed this out to her on each fly-past.  She still wasn't that impressed. :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1990 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:28:40 pm »
The Beeb colemantary team did note that the Herc was crewed entirely by women.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

« Reply #1991 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:07:36 am »
‘Normal stooging around speed, Mr Sulu’. ‘Aye, Cap’n’

There’s no such thing really. Working (as opposed to hobby) aircraft generally travel as fast as is possible, safe and comfortable for the specific circumstances they’re employed in. So for a Hercules in normal high level cruise, the power is set to Max Continuous and the speed is whatever it will be (normally about 330-340kts TAS). At lower levels, the speed will be standardised for different purposes. In a climb to a high-level cruise (above say FL200), a C130 normally uses a reducing IAS technique which will start at 210kts and reduce with altitude. However, for a shorter flight that doesn’t justify a high level cruise, we’d fly at Vno, which is 270kts. However at low level (and in turbulence) 270kts is bloody uncomfortable and means your troops aren’t going to be fit to fight when they get to where you’re taking them, so the normal low level cruise speed is 210kts.

Similarly, for normal operations the C130 is operated to Performance A criteria, which demand that the aircraft can safely fly on three (and sometimes fewer) engines. So landing and takeoff speeds are calculated with reference to Vmcg and Vmca (minimum control speeds on the ground and in the air at the point of losing the critical engine). Those criteria and speeds are totally inappropriate for maximum performance tactical operations, so they are thrown out the window when necessary to achieve a military task - and the extra risk is accepted.

Edit: the point is, working aircraft (military or civil) are flown at their maximum legal capabilities most of the time, as that’s where they’re most efficient. Legalities may demand slower speeds in specific circumstances - for instance all traffic is limited to 250kts below 10,000’ unless safety demands they must fly faster. There are exceptions for military traffic in specific circumstances, but speed limits still apply even then. The C130 generally isn’t going to break any military speed limits!

TheLurker

« Reply #1992 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:48:38 pm »
Quote from: TimC
‘Normal stooging around speed, Mr Sulu’. ‘Aye, Cap’n’
:D

Ta,  detailed explanation much appreciated.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1993 on: 05 August, 2022, 12:25:21 am »
Not interesting, but unusual, given the RAF doesn't have many, or fly them much...

« Reply #1994 on: 05 August, 2022, 05:50:12 am »
Typhoon, innit?

TheLurker

« Reply #1995 on: 05 August, 2022, 06:13:13 am »
Quote from: Jaded
...unusual, given the RAF doesn't have many, or fly them much...
Well, with petrol the cost it is everyone's cutting back on travel aren't they? :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1996 on: 28 August, 2022, 01:58:45 pm »
A Chinook flew low over our house this arvo.

« Reply #1997 on: 28 August, 2022, 05:33:22 pm »
A BAC Jet Provost flying back and forth near Gt Totham in Essex yesterday and today.
Rust never sleeps

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1998 on: 28 August, 2022, 05:51:49 pm »
A BAC Jet Provost flying back and forth near Gt Totham in Essex yesterday and today.
The CFI of the gliding club where I learnt to fly referred to the Jet Provost as the aeroplane with a volume control in place of a throttle. He was also the CO of the local RAF jet pilot trading facility.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1999 on: 28 August, 2022, 05:59:43 pm »
The CFI of the gliding club where I learnt to fly referred to the Jet Provost as the aeroplane with a volume control in place of a throttle. He was also the CO of the local RAF jet pilot trading facility.
It certainly did seem to make a lot of noise for little apparent forward progress.
Rust never sleeps