Author Topic: Will there be a London Orbital in 2022?  (Read 2565 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: Will there be a London Orbital in 2022?
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:33:51 pm »
The perm controls are Gravesend and Leaden Roding.

But assuming you control at Gravesend where do you restart the perm N of the Thames? as soon as you alight from the shuttle?

I've had this conversation with Paul about using the annual IOW 100 as part of a DIY 200; he stated that the ferry back to Pompey is a "cafe which moves" and is part of your riding time but not distance! (I didn't pursue it just rode the 100)

« Reply #26 on: 13 March, 2024, 09:46:26 pm »
As you're using the train as a ferry replacement service the fairest thing to do is use only the shortest possible section (Ebbsfleet-Stratford) and ride all the way to/from it.

Checking the audax regulations there's no specific allowance for ferries, but neither is there an explicit baseline directive that you must cycle between controls.

« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2024, 09:46:24 am »
I'd think that any distance not travelled by human muscular effort, as per AUK rule, you would forfeit the time and only count the shortest distance of the route cycled.
Same as short ferry crossings in Scotland, Lincolnshire and Cornwall.

A 1200km permanent from home to Cork in Ireland, using the ferry crossings as accommodation, has crossed my mind a few times.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2024, 12:02:41 pm »
I was mulling over the HS1 option myself. You could get it from Gravesend rather than Ebbsfleet. Then from Stratford you can either ride or get the DLR to West Ham, where you can get a C2C train to Tilbury. Simples.
sounds like it will add at least an hour. If riding as a perm, maybe best to use gravesend/tilbury as the start/finish and remove the crossing time from the equation

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2024, 12:04:06 pm »
I was mulling over the HS1 option myself. You could get it from Gravesend rather than Ebbsfleet. Then from Stratford you can either ride or get the DLR to West Ham, where you can get a C2C train to Tilbury. Simples.
sounds like it will add at least an hour. If riding as a perm, maybe best to use gravesend/tilbury as the start/finish and remove the crossing time from the equation

How does that work, as you have to finish back at the place you started, not the control over the water!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2024, 12:07:59 pm »
Just do a perm route point-to-point, rather than a closed loop?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2024, 12:34:24 pm »
Just do a perm route point-to-point, rather than a closed loop?

But the orbital is a closed loop perm!

« Reply #32 on: 14 March, 2024, 12:42:58 pm »
Depends whether we're talking about creating a new perm or making the best of the existing one.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #33 on: 14 March, 2024, 01:05:45 pm »
sounds like it will add at least an hour.

Oh yes, at least an hour, probably more like an hour and a half.

It was a flippant suggestion but would be an option if you wanted to stick to the official route controls.

Really, the best thing all round would be if Gravesend/Thurrock councils can get the ferry back in action asap.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #34 on: 14 March, 2024, 01:48:15 pm »
Depends whether we're talking about creating a new perm or making the best of the existing one.

At no point was that suggested.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 14 March, 2024, 01:58:43 pm »
If crossing the Thames at Gravesend with a bicycle is so difficult, then I feel no need to include it. PBP vs. actually riding in Paris?

Bank of Thames to bank of Thames is close enough for a London orbit IMHO. You can do whatever you like.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...