Author Topic: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?  (Read 65092 times)

Euan Uzami

Re: GPX editor / route planner wish lists?
« Reply #300 on: 15 December, 2013, 07:07:16 pm »
A useful feature of bikehike is that you can load GPX files directly from other webservers.

Or you can ... if you can remember the URL format!  :facepalm:

It's something like www.bikehike.co.uk/load?f=www.flatus.co.uk/mybestaudaxwin.gpx

Can anyone help? [And does Ben's do this? :) ]

it doesn't currently but I could fairly easily add it.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #301 on: 15 December, 2013, 11:44:39 pm »
What would be nice would be a total climb for route (estimation).  I know this would be fraught with difficulty, because the heights that you get aren't spot heights actually on the route, but you have some data there for the graph, so you could just sum up all of the height differences that are positive (and possibly all that are negative too.

I've just planned two possible routes for tomorrow and it would be nice to give the rough (relative) total climb for each route as well as the distance when I email my cycling mate.

Done.
If you right click on a track, there is a new menu option 'Update total climbing'.
One thing I would say though, is it gets more inaccurate (tends to underestimate) the longer the route is.
I did it on yr elenydd and it came back with just under 4,000m, the AUK site lists ~4,900. However, doing it on each track, with one track per leg, and adding them together, probably gives you closer to 4,900 that the AUK site says.
So just don't go doing it on a 1,000, thinking it's quite flat, and then come crying to me when it's hillier than you thought ;)

I've also added some new routing methods today, they are based on the OSRM routing engine. http://project-osrm.org/
The winter one I don't think is particularly effective - I threw it together as an afterthought and haven't had much time to test it yet so there's a high chance I'll be rebuilding it after tweaking its profiles*.
The others produce some quite interesting routes! Try going from one side of a large city to the other, for instance.
Keen to hear any feedback on here or by email.

*In fact there's a chance I might tweak any of them, but the ones other than winter are quite good.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #302 on: 15 December, 2013, 11:54:30 pm »
Nice! Is that five separate OSRM profiles?
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

Euan Uzami

« Reply #303 on: 15 December, 2013, 11:55:18 pm »
Nice! Is that five separate OSRM profiles?
yep, five different ones.

« Reply #304 on: 17 December, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
feedback:  the AUK is looking very disdainfully at the Google symbology  ;D

Seriously: I think the elevation thing is spot on. On the limited testing I've done so far, the numbers come out within a gnat's crochet (as the late lamented Humphrey Lyttleton used to say) of bikehike, which I've previously found to be close enough to contour counting as makes no difference.   So - a big  :thumbsup: from me.

Routing
I've only tried a couple of routes for comparison where I know on the ground what the alternatives are like.
The Winter one is definitely a bit odd, it seems to me to give too much preference to "B" roads (over "A" and lanes) and at the expense of more km.   Some interesting inspirations for future DIYs though.....

The Tourist ones are good, though I've not found significant differences between them (more playing neeeded)

The AUK one seems to pick some gravel surfaced paths which are signed as "no cycling" on the ground (and which are ignored by the Tourist options) - but that may well be the fault of the way they are tagged on OSM rather than anything to do with the routing algorithm.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #305 on: 17 December, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
I have just been trying the route options and I really like the routes it is giving me.

This is the best routing tool I have used.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #306 on: 17 December, 2013, 09:05:35 pm »
Thanks, you're right I have noticed they are fairly similar to each other.
What's now the super tourist will probably be renamed tourist, and what's now tourist will be changed to a different one that is a bit like the auk but a little bit more sensible with town centres. Double st will stay as it is.
Winter, I'll have a look at debugging it.

Would be interested to know where it went down a track?! The profiles are all based on the car profile with different speeds so I'd be curious to know where they go on non roads.

« Reply #307 on: 19 December, 2013, 03:40:56 pm »
Hi Ben,

Have you got a problem with the AUK routing at the moment. If i try and create any new tracks with AUK routing it crashes when selecting the 2nd (in fact any after the 1st) point with an error "Error occurred when routing. Please report to admin@gpxeditor.co.uk" and the "Calculating Route, please wait" routing box hanging. I tried the same thing with Google Walking and it was OK. Problem happens in both Chrome 31.0.1650.63m and IE 11.0.9.600.16476

Actually i get the error with AUK, Tourist or Double-Super Tourist. The others create the track.

Cheers

Euan Uzami

« Reply #308 on: 19 December, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »
will have a look into it.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #309 on: 19 December, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »
should be ok now. have just been faffing about with them....

I have also rationalsed the tourist ones into just two - three was too many.
There is now just 'tourist' and 'super tourist'.
Super tourist has the profile of what was originally called 'double super tourist' (so no net decrease in maximum laney-ness :) ), and what's now called 'tourist' has a new profile which makes it slightly more noticeably different to super tourist, in practice however it is not that much different. I might flatten its profile off a bit as it is a little bit more resistant to enter urbanity than I'd like but it won't change much if I do.

Winter is now slightly better, the thing with it is - remember it still doesn't go on 70mph dual carriageways. So if you choose a route that is only really possible with lanes or 70mph dual carriageways, then it will still go on lanes, if the detour is multiple times longer. If it's only, say, twice as long then it should go on the secondary and primary roads.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #310 on: 19 December, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
Testing an automated update script on winter so if it stops working it'll have at least partially worked ;) shouldn't affect the others.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #311 on: 23 December, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »
A useful feature of bikehike is that you can load GPX files directly from other webservers.

It's something like www.bikehike.co.uk/load?f=www.flatus.co.uk/mybestaudaxwin.gpx

Found it:
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.flatus.co.uk/mybestaudaxwin.gpx

[with apologies for the thread hijack]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Euan Uzami

« Reply #312 on: 23 December, 2013, 06:37:56 pm »

Found it:
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.flatus.co.uk/mybestaudaxwin.gpx

[with apologies for the thread hijack]

Done
e.g.
http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk?lnk=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55634526/pbp.gpx

Also rationalised the routers to just two, hopefully no one minds. The winter one wasn't really that effective I didn't think, and the tourists were virtually the same pretty much, so I just decided which one was better and got rid of the other one (the laney one won out unsurprisingly). Hopefully it will probably be more feasible to update them slightly more regularly now.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #313 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »
Ok I've programmed the routers to go across the bridges correctly. (Old severn, humber, tay, kessock and forth) .

i have just discovered that 'cycleways' are on. I'm not sure whether they're best left on, turned off, or just certain ones, e.g. 'asphalt'.
I could turn them all off or just turn non-asphalt ones off whilst still keeping the 'whitelisted' ones for the bridges turned on.
Would appreciate opinions.
I can't find any that I know of that I wouldn't use or that are too muddy.

I did google "muddy cycle path" to try to catch it out and there was one between Axminster and Kilmington that did indeed look a bit cruddy on streetview but it is marked as asphalt on OSM. It's not really a great example 'cos if it was in the news it may have been improved.

So would appreciate examples of others anyone knows of that you would want it to route down or would want it to avoid.

« Reply #314 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:19:37 pm »
I think "turn non-asphalt ones off whilst still keeping the 'whitelisted' ones for the bridges turned on" is probably the best option.
Between folks correcting the tagging on OSM** and running a whitelist it should deal with most things.

** it's a lot easier now with Potlatch 2

Euan Uzami

« Reply #315 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:21:07 pm »
I think "turn non-asphalt ones off whilst still keeping the 'whitelisted' ones for the bridges turned on" is probably the best option.
Between folks correcting the tagging on OSM** and running a whitelist it should deal with most things.

I think you're probably right actually.

*edit, I've just realised AUK actually has NOT got cycleways turned on, only tourist has.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #316 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:25:49 pm »

it is yes, it's great... I used it to add the gap in the hedge  ;)

« Reply #317 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:43:22 pm »
*edit, I've just realised AUK actually has NOT got cycleways turned on, only tourist has.

One with, one without, seems appropriate - just have to remember which is which.

Tried to think of a suitable mnemonic but for some reason my brain kept returning to a line in the refrain of the .... er... ballad sometimes known as the Mayor of Bayswater's daughter.   Google it if you must (NSFW)

« Reply #318 on: 08 January, 2014, 06:42:41 pm »
(Back from self imposed YACF hibernation)

Used this for the first time today to modify some GPX tracks I'd been creating for Audax organisers that don't know how to do it.

Excellent work Ben T.

By far the most useful feature I've found so far is the ability to reroute segments, it makes it so much easier to fix bits where I've gone wrong on one little stretch 60km into a 600km GPX file when the organiser reviews it.

I'm working on a good ride elevation plotter at the moment (as a separate project) that allows easy annotation (controls/towns, major summits, etc) so I may be able to make some suggestions on calculating climb and plotting things nicely once I've got my hands dirty.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Euan Uzami

« Reply #319 on: 12 January, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »
Nice one thanks.

I've put gpxeditor on github!
https://github.com/bjtaylor1/GPXEditor

I would like to use this from now on please for any discussion about it rather than using yacf if that is ok.
https://github.com/bjtaylor1/GPXEditor/issues

It's called 'issues' but it doesn't have to be just issues - suggestions, questions, discussion points all very much appreciated.

I should get emailed when anybody posts a thread/reply on there, and you get subscribed to threads you create by default.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #320 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:44:15 pm »
This link is dead, can't see the project on github

Ben T

« Reply #321 on: 15 June, 2015, 12:24:12 am »
Hi Jamie, no sorry I've made it private now I'm afraid. Partly laziness - it's easier to just have everything in the one repository rather than split out sensitive info like connection strings, and since I'm the only real contributor it doesn't particularly make sense for it to be open source. However as regards the project's openness if you wanted to know how any of it works I'm happy to discuss it , of course a lot of the code is JavaScript so you can browse that anyway at will, albeit bundled.
The best algorithms it's got that other route planners haven't - tourist router, contour counter, and junctions counter (create route from track), are running on linux servers in the cloud and the source for those isn't in the main project.
As regards the bug log, it's not really big enough to warrant a whole site for issues. I did try a couple - bugzilla, github, but they didn't really get used enough and often people just emailed me anyway. So I think if there's any issues our feature suggestions best just to drop me an email.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #322 on: 16 June, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
Did the re-route segment functionality go away (or become premium only)?

When I right click on a track and select Edit, I no longer see the re-route options in the menu.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #323 on: 16 June, 2015, 09:51:01 am »
I think the new 'drag the route by the dots' functionality automatically re-routes by segment. If you want to re-route between points on the track that aren't already the endpoints of a segment, I think you have to create a new segment.

That's my take, anyway (I'm Not Ben T). HTH

Ben T

« Reply #324 on: 16 June, 2015, 10:33:09 am »
Did the re-route segment functionality go away (or become premium only)?

When I right click on a track and select Edit, I no longer see the re-route options in the menu.

You just drag it now. Either just drag the line or drag an existing white dot.