Author Topic: Hardy Heron  (Read 25408 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Pen Pusher

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Hardy Heron
« Reply #51 on: 25 April, 2008, 02:53:51 pm »
Is that advisable?

Depends how you define "advisable" ;) I think it's recommended to upgrade one version at a time (although you can upgrade from the previous LTS release to this one). That's not to say it wouldn't work.

I'm on Feisty (7.04?) at the moment which is why I want to go to 7.10 first.

Anyway, I like to wait a few weeks after any upgrade distribution  :)

I like to run the betas as they become available. :thumbsup:

At the moment I don't have the time 'cos I want to keep everything running as smoothly as possible for a beer festival related website  :P

bobajobrob

« Reply #52 on: 25 April, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »
I'm on Feisty (7.04?) at the moment which is why I want to go to 7.10 first.

Fair enough! It is possible to skip versions by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and doing a full upgrade, but there's always the risk that something could go wrong, as with any upgrade.

At the moment I don't have the time 'cos I want to keep everything running as smoothly as possible for a beer festival related website  :P

Mmm, beer :P

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #53 on: 25 April, 2008, 05:35:22 pm »
Cor, this looks easy...
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04/14/ubuntu-804-usb-hard-drive-install/

With the possible exception of avoiding overwriting the MBR of your main disk by mistake - would be nice if the dialoge would tell you size and space used of each drive.

Dave

« Reply #54 on: 25 April, 2008, 10:01:27 pm »
Cor, this looks easy...
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04/14/ubuntu-804-usb-hard-drive-install/

Hmm. I think unplugging your internal HDDs in case you nuke your MBR is stretching the definition of 'easy' just a wee bit.

But, I've got a free weekend and a 4GB memory stick, so I may give this a go. Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

« Reply #55 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:03:23 pm »
Hardy Heron seems to have serious issues with Intel 3945ABG wireless chipsets in that you can associate with an AP but you don't get an IP address via DHCP and a fixed IP wont work either. Seems it used to work in teh betas but the final release has broken something.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #56 on: 25 April, 2008, 11:17:34 pm »
My Sony Vaio VGN-SZ2XP have a 93945ABG chipset and runs fine with Ubuntu 8.04 and DHCP
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #57 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:53:58 am »
Though my PC is now running 8.04 and for some reason not picking up/mounting my HHD on there. Nautilus see the drives but when I click on them Nautilus is asking me for password before it mount the drive, never seen that before. Going to do some fstapping later on.

border-rider

« Reply #58 on: 26 April, 2008, 06:43:28 pm »
I've just done it on my main work PC and it looks good.  Everything seems to be in order and it has improved a graphics card/restricted driver issue, so I can run Compiz etc.  Yay :)

Maladict

« Reply #59 on: 26 April, 2008, 07:34:46 pm »
I might be tempted to ditch FreeBSD and go ubuntu at this rate; having some x.org issues at the moment.  I'm currently rebuilding it all to see if that'll fix it.

My FreeBSD box mainly acts as a server; currently used to handle email, run some screen sessions for a few things that I am logged into all the time, subversion (and thus a webserver).  Plus mysql to handle databases (spam, mainly).

If I went to ubuntu, would I want server or desktop?  Bear in mind I'm trying to move away from doing stuff on my Windows desktop.  I can of course install the various packages I need onto either Ubuntu Desktop or Server, but are there any issues with either approach I should be aware of?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #60 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »
Muttermutter whyohwhy is it so hard to burn a bootable bloody CD?  >:(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #61 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:16:04 pm »
put blank cd into drive fire up K3b click burn cd image find iso click start then wait job done

border-rider

« Reply #62 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:17:47 pm »

If you recall, you had to send me a disk with Breezy on it some years ago :)

I found that some iso writers are crap.  Finding a stable one and burning sloooowly fixed it for me.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #63 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:58:47 pm »
Well I've got through three now.  K3b is, I note, not an XP ISO burner.  The recommended one and two others are bags of arse... grumble.  Back to inertia.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #64 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:01:15 pm »
Since I have 2 AMD64 pcs (single and dual core), and a core2duo laptop (macbook), should I go for the 64bit version?
I'd stuck with 32bit cos there were some driver/codec issues iirc with 64bit in earlier versions (dapper/edgy probably).  What do people recommend for heron?
AndyM

border-rider

« Reply #65 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:01:32 pm »
Mmm

XP iso burners = not good

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #66 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:11:36 pm »
How can they be not good?  It's just writing digital data, FFS!  Surely they work or don't work?  It's not like they're doing anything subtle or artful!  Gah!  double gah!  Oh for a stick-image pseudo-ISO.

Maladict

« Reply #67 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:19:05 pm »
How can they be not good?  It's just writing digital data, FFS!  Surely they work or don't work?  It's not like they're doing anything subtle or artful!  Gah!  double gah!  Oh for a stick-image pseudo-ISO.

Given CDs are a constant linear velocity and run in a spiral, it's a non-trivial operation to read or write the things, IMO.  The track pitch is 1.2um which is quite small.  It's a wonder they work at all.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #68 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:37:18 pm »
But but but but!

You can READ them easy enough.  Isn't the difficult stuff in firmware?  Doesn't the OS just pump bits to the firmware to do its thang?  Isn't there at least some basic driver core or guts functionality in the OS?  What makes an ISO burner so special compared to dropping data onto a disk or reading from it or any of the zillion other REALLY HARD THINGS that my computer does even in the bastard background? 

:'(

Thus the inertia argument: I've tried three times, wasted three CDs, bollocks to this.  Ironic 'cos Ubuntu might have a better burner and a better DVD-burning kit (which I rather need) but fundamentally, meh.  Back to pr0n.

border-rider

« Reply #69 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:42:21 pm »
Some XP stuff's OK.  The default installed burner on my XP Dell always generated failed discs.  I downloaded some Win freeware and that worked fine.

It's in the attic now so I dunno what it was.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #70 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:03:42 pm »
Since I have 2 AMD64 pcs (single and dual core), and a core2duo laptop (macbook), should I go for the 64bit version?
I'd stuck with 32bit cos there were some driver/codec issues iirc with 64bit in earlier versions (dapper/edgy probably).  What do people recommend for heron?

I run the AMD64 version of Gutsy atm. Yes, there was some head-scratching required over browser plugins but once I found the relevant docs everything was OK.

The biggest problem I had was installation. All my components were new and I think the h/w support for the various chipsets is flaky. Initially I could only get the 32-bit version installed but found that if I added a parameter to the boot options of the install CD it could be made to work in 64-bit (needed to get all 4 gigs of RAM to be recognised). I've since tried the same install CD in live demo mode and would it work? Would it b******s :(.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #71 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:42:17 am »
Just to report my success at installing Hardy Heron.

I downloaded two programmes by bittorrent from a Taiwan University, burned one to a CD and that failed. I then tried to install from my hard drive and that reported an error on the file but no clue as to where? Hence tried the second file and that went smoothly to completion. Next puzzle was how do I download Internet explorer if I can't connect to the internet. Answer, Ubuntu had done it automatically without I.E. even though my ISP had told me that it was essential to use it.

A total mystery to me but working great anyway :thumbsup:

I can also open, modify and save files in their original Microshaft format which is fantastic. I believe with this version of Ubuntu I can recover a load of excel and word files which are located  in a crashed computer. Just need a bootable CD. Perhaps some kind soul could e-mail me a copy?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #72 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:01:59 am »
I have had an OK experience so far with upgrading. Only two concerns of note - NetworkManager is still a struggle for my laptop and ndiswrapper-based desktop. This area still seems to throw up a lot of difficulties for many users. Looks like I will be continuing to use wicd, which has worked flawlessly.

Only other issue I have noticed so far is that foxmarks extensions does not support FF3 beta yet.

« Reply #73 on: 27 April, 2008, 08:13:15 am »
This ISO burner software for windows has always worked for me:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/

« Reply #74 on: 27 April, 2008, 11:47:11 am »
This freeware one always works for me on XP. I blew my Hardy Heron CD with it the other day.

CDBurnerXP
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.