Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152889 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #625 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:24:17 am »
Went out on my 1st 300km since Apr 2011 on Friday.
MK down to Pangbourne and Micheldever before crossing the A34 and coming back up through Faccombe, Lambourne and Kidlington back to MK.
Great day for it and managed to get round in under 13hrs  :thumbsup:

Now thinking about whether to get a couple of longer rides in before Nov' for an SR!

« Reply #626 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
A 13 hour elapsed 300 is very good going indeed. I’ve only managed that once and that was back in 2013.  I have done a 11 hour 300 as part of a 600, but that was going north through the fens with a nice tailwind.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #627 on: 10 September, 2020, 01:02:32 pm »
A 13 hour elapsed 300 is very good going indeed. I’ve only managed that once and that was back in 2013.  I have done a 11 hour 300 as part of a 600, but that was going north through the fens with a nice tailwind.
My quickest '300' was 296km in 11:30 on asparagus and strawberries, then i ate, then i slept so time to 300km was quite a bit longer . Actual 300s vary between 13:30 and 16:00  getting to fougeres on PBP was 13:30 I think getting to menai in 13:06 on BCM was my next best 300km. I could probably do it more often by cutting stops down,  which is probably why first 300 of longer rides tend to be quicker. I'm perfectly happy to finish at 9pm after starting at 6 so no need to rush at controls. While on a 400 I want to get finished and have some sleep.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #628 on: 11 September, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »
DIY 400 yesterday.
Aberdeen-Edinburgh-Aberdeen.

Hillier than it initially seems.

Cairn o' Mount both ways, with the steep side coming after 380k.
Glenfarg Southbound is a grind and a half.
Fife in an endless series of smaller hills.

Cold start, sub 2 degrees out to the first control at Banchory, then sub-zero on the climb up the Cairn.  Took several hours for the temperature to pick up to the forecast temperatures.

Feeling it today.

« Reply #629 on: 12 September, 2020, 09:05:12 pm »
200 on Thursday. Hardest 200 I've done, round the lake district with 6 of the main passes and a few other lumps.

First time I've had to think about time limits and risk of missing them.

Got round OK but hardknott is a bastard, as I expected it would be. Got up the first steep bit but the second bit had me so had to walk a bit. Then the descent was scary, too steep to be able to stop.

Everything else was a level down in difficulty. Never imagined getting to a climb and seeing a sign saying 25% and my reaction being 'OK, that's no problem'.

Started the ride from close to where I used to live as a teenager and student (Cockermouth) but back in those days I would never have imagined riding up those hills. But then I never had such low gears in the 80s.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #630 on: 13 September, 2020, 08:05:05 pm »
* edited start time*

Sitting at Exeter Station waiting for my train home having just completed the excellent sw moors super randonee.

Got back to exeter with 45 minutes to spare. Finished just after sunset on the first two days.  Incredible ride across dartmoor and exmoor and surrounding areas.

Friday start 07.30  216km 4800m of climb by my garmin, across dartmoor and exmoor to the north coast before turning into a headwind laden with drizzle, through lynmouth and the valley of the rocks and on to Barnstaple before turning south for dinner and eep at the blue lion lewdown. Great food and let me bring my bike in, but last dinner orders at 20.30

Saturday start at 07:00 203km with 4000m of climbing, head west to tintagel before heading south to bodmin more then turning east tailwind? Through tavistock and up over dartmoor before dropping to buckfastleigh and then crossing dartmoor again going north this time, brief glimpse of the south coast (probably Plymouth?) Before stopping for the night at Duke of york, iddleleigh.

Sunday start 06:30 head north across exmoor to Simonsbath, tantalising glimps of views that could be spectacular through the clearing cloud, the a fast run east to the quantock hills and then south to exeter.

Great views  great weather (mostly) but possibly the hardest ride I have finished. Pack as light as you can, you will regret every surplus kg

« Reply #631 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:33:19 pm »
When did you start on Fri, 1930 doesn’t work with a 0700 Sat start as well?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #632 on: 14 September, 2020, 10:57:03 pm »
When did you start on Fri, 1930 doesn’t work with a 0700 Sat start as well?
You're right 07:30 Friday start. 19:30 would be crazy  3 nights and 2 days instead of vice versa

« Reply #633 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:46:38 am »
A 200k DIY on Monday, taking advantage of increasingly warm and sunny weather.  Light winds were forecast, not altogether accurately.  Start / finish at Stamfordham (near Newcastle) with a loop heading West along the lanes to Hexham then Corbridge.  Back past Stamfordham to do a longer loop East to the coast at Amble, then down to Lynemouth.  A blustery headwind along the exposed Druridge Bay road was a nuisance but once I changed direction and started heading inland it got easier.

I started feeling a bit Egan Bernal on the last stretch, not helped by a section of road near Ponteland with a lot of dangerously impatient commuter traffic.  Once past the rat run route, quieter roads again as I pottered back to the finish.  A lovely day out, despite nearly 6,000' of climbing. I even found a couple of roads that I hadn't used before.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #634 on: 16 September, 2020, 01:09:45 pm »
DIY 200 yesterday in the interests of keeping my Randonneur Once A Year going.  Down through Solihull and along the Kenilworth Greenway (which, like many roads in the area, was suffering from an outbreak of HS2, requiring a minor diversion), then round to Brinklow and up towards Leicster, then Loughborough, Coalville, the excellently named Newton Burgoland[1] to pick up an errant VeloViewer tile, then into Tamworth and back to Brum.

Knee was being low-level annoying for the first 60km or so.  Then it started to get warm.  Much warmer than expected:  The cheese in my sandwich melted.  I'd brought 4 litres of water with me, but didn't manage to drink enough of it during the heat of the day.  It's hard to keep track of consumption when it's just an amorphous bag on the rear rack.

Leicester's Great Central Way is one of those rare actually good pieces of cycle infrastructure.  In a city of traffic lights, it's doubly useful.  Was also able to confirm that barakta's employer is still there, and noted a suspicious absence of geese on both the Soar and the Grand Onion Canal.

Nice flat run out to Loughborough, before the climb up to Coalville.  Which appears to have a coal mine in the middle of it.

Nothing didn't happen at the ford at Ibstock, in spite of the warning to cyclists.

Noticed that Orton-on-the-Hill has the junction of Sheepy Lane and Main Street[2], which is probably the most Tamworth audax thing ever.

Went past the Pretty Pigs, but didn't stop for a pint of orange and lemonade.  I still had ~40km to go, and it's not the same without Geoff.

Made surprisingly good progress back to Brum.  Traffic was light, and the temperature had dropped to something reasonable.  Got home just as it was getting dark.

[1] I postulated that this is a reference to Isaac Newton, on account of the climbing required.
[2] They're not very imaginative when it comes to road names in Leicestershire.

« Reply #635 on: 18 September, 2020, 10:25:22 pm »
300 yesterday, a loop from London down to the Kent /Sussex coast and back again.

I cunningly reversed the route when I saw the weather forecast was for a stiff North easterly. That meant a bit of unfavorable crosswind for much of the day, but a glorious 40 miles or so along the coast, from New Romney to Pevensey with a full on tail wind.

The coastal section was the highlight, especially going through Hastings abs Bexhill.  Was a sunny day and there were people in the sea.

Most of the day was flat but the route back was a bit lumpy a bit main roady - my lack of care in routing to blame for that.

Early start, just before 4am, meant I could get across London when it was quiet, have Dawn breaking as I got into the country and get home in plenty of time for dinner. That was all according to plan, but on the way back I realised it also meant crossing London to home in rush hour.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #636 on: 26 September, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »
"That'll do, Donkey." - 600k DIYxGPS Audax

Late season compressed SR Series completed.
This marks the end of my 9th consecutive year of this nonsense.

Turned into a bit of a nocturnal safari.

A Badger snuffling around a car-park in Dufftown.

A total of 6 Hoolets, on the road between Grantown and Dufftown and on the Cabrach.
A couple flying in the perephiery of my light,
a couple perched by the roadside, looking directly at me with their Owly faces. Carefully observing Social Distancing, they flew off as I got to within two metres of them, falling silently off their perches and gliding noiselessly into the woods.
And one stood in the middle of the road, clearly intent on business of it's own.
As I approached, it flew off leaving it's 'business' free to scuttle off into the verge as fast as it's little legs could carry it.

The weather was not my friend on this ride.
Day 1 was bitingly cold, with a pervasive cold damp low cloud over the high ground.
Day 2 started with intermittent heavy rain, which continued to the Southern-most point at Glamis.
Here, the rain gave way to a strong Northerly headwind which was to be my travelling companion and adversary for the final 120k.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4112953350

bairn again

« Reply #637 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:31:25 am »
After a few weeks away from any serious cycling, I decided to try and harness some tailwind and enjoyment by catching the 0530 train up to Montrose and heading back to Auld Reekie but not before a loop round Aberdeenshire. 

Nice quiet roads between Montrose & Arbroath Id not cycled before, slightly meh thereafter until the approach to Dundee which was most enjoyable.  I was studying the menu for the Tay Bridge kiosk cafe when I saw the "cash only" sign  :facepalm: so pushed on. 

Ive not cycled the Col du Gauldry for many years (alas the Kingdom of Fife 200km event is no more) but the reward thereafter was the views along the Firth of Tay - glorious.   I knew I couldnt finish without another stop, so had an al fresco picnic in Auchtermuchty which was grand and provided fortification for the Sanny Road, again another stretch Ive not ridden for a good while.  Standard route home from Kinross through Cowdenbeath and over the Forth Bridge. 

Over 10 hrs despite having a tailwind for most of the way, which confirms that Im definitely not in tip top condition but I knew that before setting off.   My audax mojo definitely doesnt have enough bandwith for a 400 or 600 this season.   

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56766315

Edit - and a recovery tandem 50km ride to the Seaside today.  https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56822592

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #638 on: 27 September, 2020, 01:13:23 pm »
I forgot to report last week due to both knackeredness and busyness.

Having ridden nothing longer than 130km since my last Diy in January, I hit the road at the ungodly hour of 0430ish and took advantage of it being stupid AM to ride through the clinging mists of the A92 to Parbroath before the usual pisshead abuse in Newburgh around 1.5 hours later, I couldn't be arsed shouting back "Wiggins is a prick" but kept on into the lightening morn.
The smell of freshly baked goods lured me into Auchterarder Co-Op where I found precisely 0 baked goods for sale, and settled for sweet treats from the fridge.

Retracing my wheel tracks down to the Hunter Street junction I spied the bakery I should have visited but pressed on; just after Kinky Bridge I eschewed my usual climb up through Fowlis for Glen Almond and stayed on the road to Crieff instead turning off onto the Heilanman Loan, the old drove road to Larbert, but I was taking the return routing.

With the early start he A85 was pretty quite for the short blat down to Gilmerton to pick up the climb over to the Sma Glen, the light was just right to get the best of this sandwich between the Highlands and Lowlands and having only taken lesser routes for the last year and a half a good distraction from the drag to come.

Progress on the Amulree hotel seems to have stalled, and I wasn't bothering with Griffin so the descent to Dunkeld through Strathbraan was in order (this saved a climb of Schiehallion and got me more distance) for what could now feasibly be called Lunch 1.

With the path through the hotel grounds now tarred this proves to be a much quicker bash onto Ballinluig/Logierait than the track beside the A9 and also gives you the Logierait Bridge to cross to, recommended. Dunfallandy however isn't any flatter, but the opposite side route by Tenandry is even hillier and I was looking for my flattest option.

Pitlochry wasn't too bad but the car parks at Garry Bridge were hoaching, I also got a good queue behind me on the last wee sharp git climb to Queens View and lunch 2 was in sight, my phone GPS having not stayed active to tell mither to put the kettle on meant my lunch also wasn't quite as quick as I hoped but I was holding good speed with 140km done. Longest ride since I buggered my leg and I was feeling good.

Next leg was a lap of Loch Rannoch, the hill at Dunalistair is a git heading west, and a total git heading east but they are the only lumps to worry about here.  I stopped at the cafe in Rannoch and soon realized there had been dairy in Lunch 1 and things were about to briefly not-fun, thankfully the toilets were available for use.

Cake and coke polished off and that bloody hill past Dunalistair, I almost think climbing and descending the trinafour triangle might be less painful (and give extra distance); once over that it's just a short gentle climb back to the caravan for Tea 1; something definitely devoid of dairy but epic stomach rumbles going on (and for the rest of the week).
220km done, still feeling good!

Retraced the same route up back to Dunkeld but then struck out for Bankfoot, not ridden this road in a long time nor into Perth via Almondbank and the inch; the flood defence works have made the track round onto the Inch much tidier but it seems to go on forever before dumping you in town where a bunch of pissed teenagers were having a party.

Over the tay and onto the Dundee road, to pick up the cycle track into Walnut Grove and then on the really crap shared use pavement beside the A90; I only go this way when I can't be bothered with Kinoull, and I couldn't be bothered with Kinoull.
The Carse is dull in the dark, but fast, the lights of Dundee were welcome, even more so the bridge lift, amazingly managed to time my crossing of the bridge with another Audax Dundee (mostly Fifers) rider polishing off his 600 but we passed like ships in the night (not the Andrea Doria and Stockholm).

Home with 320km done for Tea 2 by half 10 but the food I had needed more than a few minutes cooking.
Flatness was as you can see a theme here, and I again had looked for the flattest route available, though the problem with Fife is, it isn't flat and the bits that are, aren't very big.

Heading East from home through Newport and round through Tayport to St Mikes and Guardbridge to pick up the cycle path to St Andrews, it was still early enough for there to be traffic otherwise I'd have taken the road.
Town was deserted for midnight on a Saturday with the students under curfew. 
Given my quest for flatness it may have made sense to bounce back the way I came for Cupar but even that's not flat so I climbed Strathkinness Low Road instead, somewhere out here in the deserted Strath as the lights of Blembocraigs or Strathkinness village glinted out of the darkness my back wheel whacked something hole shaped and I found myself pedalling down the hill into Pitscottie.

There was an invisible mist present so I thought I might have a shorting wire on the generator so just battered on and after some braking effort later on it seemed to free off and I hardly felt the resistance on the climb to Craigrothie nor for that matter did I need to pedal down to Springfield.

The Howe of Fife is flat enough to qualify as flat, and by now the Cupar to New Inn road was deserted; tyres skizing on the  damp tarmac, the distance allowed me to avoid the climb to New Inn so I cut off at Kingskettle for Ladybank where I partook in a bus shelter rest next the station. I barely remember the 0230 gyration of Melville Lodges, nor the road until the lights of Parbroath emerged once again from the darkness, there's another bus shelter, I may as well rest.

22 hours into the ride and 15km to go, Luthrie, the long lumpy straight with Rathillet perched onto of it's lump in the distance, I hardly noticed that lump despite it sucking 14kmh off my speed, I knew it was the last, the long descent to Kilmany and then the last few lumps beside the Motray before turning over Newton and into the village.

403km in 22:40 and only 3300m of climbing; not bad after so long.

My next task is to use as much of Strathmore as possible to get a flat 600 in before the end of October.

Ive not cycled the Col du Gauldry for many years (alas the Kingdom of Fife 200km event is no more) but the reward thereafter was the views along the Firth of Tay - glorious.

They are cracking views.
I've submitted a route that uses it for a Perm and have another in mind; also slowly getting round to turning it into a calendar event but trying to buy a house and a certain virus have been getting in the way.

« Reply #639 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:52:52 pm »
Great day out on a DIY 200 from Lanark, Bitterly cold start of -3 though had us wondering why we do it though. Stayed cold until Wanlockhead where the climb soon warmed us but the descents were still chilly.

Nice run through the Ae forest until i suffered a double puncture in the village itself after hitting a pothole, the 2 team mechanics chipped in to help though. On to Moffat and over the Beeftub for another warm ascent and cold descent.

Lovely route with very quiet roads.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/56829067
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #640 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:07:24 am »
A change of plan this week.  I had entered a calendar event, but in view of the awful weather forecast for Saturday did a DIY yesterday instead.  Turned out to be a lovely sunny autumn day.  A few clouds drifting over in the afternoon but it stayed dry.  A fairly flat route from Piercebridge, the first loop heading West to Barnard Castle then back East along a lovely little road and over Whorlton bridge.  Closed to motor traffic but still OK for cyclists and walkers.

Then flatter roads down the Vale of York, to Thirsk, Easingwold and back via Northallerton.  Topped up my water bottle at the churchyard tap in Sessay and I carried my food with me so no visits to shops were necessary.  Most of the route used quiet minor roads, just a couple of main road stretches.  I was a bit earlier heading back up the main road and through Northallerton so avoided the frantic, dangerous rush hour drivers who had made that section so unpleasant when I did a similar route a month ago.  So much more relaxing.

Quite a bit of wildlife about - rabbits, squirrels, buzzards, and a Gorilla.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LB2n2YsvtkFvxNA5otNeE9nUxQXjU9X/view?usp=sharing
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #641 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:04:11 am »
Just like Socks, I had an opportunity to ride on Thurs 1 Oct to start the new AUK year. I had ridden a 200 4 days earlier, but the decent weather window, amid a rotten forecast, gave me the determination to ride one of my perms, Midlands Vale 200, that I have modified to remove 8 miles of Fosse Way N of Moreton in Marsh. Great day on a familiar route and the satisfaction, as I was finishing, that the following day's rain was in the air! Also gave RRTY33 a continuation boost with ride No 10.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #642 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:57:24 am »
New AUK year starts 1st November

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #643 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:04:31 pm »
Since August 1 I are be mostly following variations of SeaShore 200 for my RRTY. Yesterday was a one way including the coastal section all the way from Newhaven to Lee on Solent (but avoiding the Ripoff Gosport ferry). That side of the water is a really nice place with generally quieter traffic and great views across to the IoW

Fair play to BBC they got the mid morning to early evening forecast spot on and after a wet first 65k some sunshine and a mild tail / headwind but mostly from the South. There is now a pop-up cycle lane along the main road through Brighton and Hove although it's more frustrating than the cycle path due to all the traffic lights. Sure enough the wall of Storm Alex was poised about 15k before my Southampton finish where it absolutely lashed it down. Arrived at son#2's (also named Alex, apt!) in time for a hot shower rehydration Netflix and a warm bed! was very happy to pay the train fare home this morning,

« Reply #644 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:06:36 pm »
Two of us rode my Exeter-London 400 at the weekend.  Probably the wettest ride I've ever done.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #645 on: 05 October, 2020, 04:31:19 pm »
Two of us rode my Exeter-London 400 at the weekend.  Probably the wettest ride I've ever done.

Chapeau.  Or EF Education Helmets raised.  I was out for a couple of hours in Hampshire and there were ducks swimming at the top of Farleigh Wallop where lakes and ducks had no business being.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

bairn again

« Reply #646 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:50:06 pm »
A 200 today from home to Ballingry - Muckhart - Dunning - Crieff - Comrie - Dunblane - Edinburgh.  Lumpier than Id normally choose for an Autumn 200 but I wanted to catch rural Perthshires Autumn colours.  It was a bit cloudy so that never happened!

Things that always happen on a DIY

- I see the 43 bus in Dalmeny (it must have a service better than the central line)
- I always get stopped at the lights in Crossgates despite no traffic ever coming from Dunfermline

Id not been up the road through scenic Lumphinnans and Lochgelly for a while and the road over from Ballingry to Fruix was a new one on me.  The wind was firmly NW so very much against all the way to a mega breakfast at Dunning.  The road from Yetts o Muckhart to Dunning had a "road closed" sign but I was wise to ignore it as it was nothing worse than a temporary bridge.

The crawl over to Balnagowan from Dunning was punctuated with red squirrel sightings (i counted six) and progress to/through Crieff was in the knowledge that soon Id have the wind behind me most of the way home. 

The turn came at Comrie but of course that meant the lang climb of Langside which was tailwind assisted.  The stretch from Braco to Kinbuck had a crosswind and I was happy to reach Dunblane in the knowledge the wind was right behind me  now.

Corrieris in Caausewayhead was closed as was the Scotmid shop next door (permanently by the looks of it) so I stopped at the BP garage on the Alloa road.  I was very hungry.

GPS unit stopped co-operating with my battery pack near Culross so I switched to phone based recording, certainly no navigation was needed from here.

It was getting dusky so rear light went on at Rosyth and I stopped and took a few pics of the sunset from the FRB. 

Weel kent bike paths and roads home.  Blustery and lumpy, but dry all day.   :thumbsup:

Leg 1 : https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57462717
Leg 2 : https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57460888

I posted some pics via twitter -> https://twitter.com/graeme_wyllie

icba with the flickr based rigmarole to put them on here. 

« Reply #647 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:55:49 pm »
Sadly no Mid Sussex Hillier calendar event this year thanks to Covid, so I DIYed the route with my good lady instead, starting from home a few k's off-route and picking up the 2019 version from the top of Ditchling Beacon.

Beautiful day to be out, all the autumn colours that we never got to see last year.

High points were lots and lots of lovely lanes and groads most of the way round, and cheesy chips and sponge cakes to die for at Balcombe Tea Room.
Low points were the usual barrage of lethal drivers near Turners Hill, and the rancid coffee with out of date milk from a shop vending machine in Nutley.

Pending validation and AAA approval, one more month for GdSRtY and AAARtY no.2

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #648 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:00:12 pm »
A 200 today from home to Ballingry - Muckhart - Dunning - Crieff - Comrie - Dunblane - Edinburgh.  Lumpier than Id normally choose for an Autumn 200 but I wanted to catch rural Perthshires Autumn colours.  It was a bit cloudy so that never happened!

Oaft, no matter which way you went at Ballingry that ride was only ever going to get better from there  :P

The Tee Room in Dunning is one to remember about for me, not that I'm ever there at an appropriate time to consume their produce.

How tricky is it to get across the A9 at Findo Gask? I've never tried it but there's roads around there to bag including an old bit of A9 that is normally clear.

« Reply #649 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:49:25 pm »
A 200km diy on the isle of wight, amazing weather and great roads. Best road surfaces in the uk, bloody hard day out .
Seems the isle of wight is hilly.
Did my favorite road out of ventnor to shalklin ,great climb and the views around the top were stunning in the llast of the day light.