Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164695 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4150 on: 15 July, 2011, 12:03:59 am »
Clarion has put a shiny new rear wheel on Lily, my Galaxy :D. What a fabulous man. :-*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4151 on: 15 July, 2011, 09:29:52 am »
I think this is in the correct thread...
My YACF 3XL shirts are beginning to look a little too large

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4152 on: 15 July, 2011, 09:43:01 am »
My daughter phoned this morning. Two pieces of good news.

1. Martha can now utter something which is a passable rendition of the word "Grandad".

2. A group of Ellen's students have nominated her for some sort of teaching excellence award. I think there are several of these and I don't know which one it is.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4153 on: 15 July, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »
There is
chocolate cake
oaty-jam flapjacks
for the weekend :)

« Reply #4154 on: 15 July, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »
There is
chocolate cake
oaty-jam flapjacks

I think those oaty-jam flapjacks ought to be on some sort of controlled substance list. They are deadly addictive!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4155 on: 15 July, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
When you say "controlled" does that mean more   ;D

There is
chocolate cake
oaty-jam flapjacks

I think those oaty-jam flapjacks ought to be on some sort of controlled substance list. They are deadly addictive!
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4156 on: 18 July, 2011, 08:03:02 am »
Only four more sleeps until I go to Essex. That's hardly any.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4157 on: 18 July, 2011, 08:59:32 am »
You're risking coming down here, to the South again?  Have you had your vaccinations? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4158 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »
My boss left his Maserati at home today and cycled in for the first time - Yay, a result  :thumbsup:

I hope the rain this evening hasn't put him off.
Aero but not dynamic

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4159 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »
If I had a Masarati I don't think I would choose the push bike over the car that often.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4160 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »
The big bosses have decided that our (quite small) company is to provide 24h cover at NotworkFail's bunker for a couple of weeks.

Surprise surprise, we've run out of people.

Having agreed to do ONE night (Mon-Tues), I got asked on Monday lunchtime "Can you do Tues-Wed night as well?"  Oh alright then.

Now it turns out that there's no-one to cover Wednesday daytime.  So rather than doing Tues-Wed, I'm doing Wed daytime instead, and we're not having a presence tonight.

Result!  I can re-adjust my body-clock back to days, get an early night, and actually have some stuff to do while I'm there.

The fact that I'm staying in a huge suite (£275 a night) in a hotel in Reading hasn't influenced my decision.  Oh no.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4161 on: 20 July, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »
Today I got home to find a card telling me a delivery, addressed to Ms Crinkles, had been left with a neighbour.

Thank you Andrew :)

Eta that inline images may be beyond  me on the phone. But they are lovely.

ETA again - borrowed a proper pooter to hopefully put it right :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4162 on: 21 July, 2011, 08:26:05 am »
One sleep to go.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4163 on: 21 July, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
Yay, Talisker has reappeared after 24 hours of disappearance. :thumbsup:

He's soaking wet, only making slightly plaintive chirrups, rather than his normal full blown meyowl, and not eating or drinking, so is off to the vets shortly.  At least he's not hiding away somewhere getting progressively more ill, which is what cats tend to do.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4164 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:04:05 pm »
Mixed news, but mostly good.

My Mate Frank, Head Teacher of the kids' Primary School, is retiring tomorrow after 28 years in the job. This is excellent news for him but not good for the school. I think the replacement is a pretty good candidate, but has a very tough job following an act like Frank's.

I've been invited to the celebratory meal at 1.30 tomorrow, which when I spoke to him on Wednesday last week, Frank appeared not to know anything about. I didn't tell him, of course, it's just that his parting shot was "I'll see if I can get a new venue for the junior chess club, and I'll be in touch next term to let you know where and when." He doesn't want to run the club at the school, because of course that would cramp the style of the new Head.

My older daughter has managed to track down every member of the National Under 11 Champion team from 1992 and all six of them are going to gate-crash the event and give Frank a £200 board and set. My other three kids and Mrs. Wow will also turn up.

« Reply #4165 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »
What a great thing to do for someone!

« Reply #4166 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »
What lovely flowers, Crinkles!

« Reply #4167 on: 21 July, 2011, 10:41:13 pm »
I am now packed for a weeks cycle camping,

My train leaves at 9:43 tomorrow morning and I arrive in Dumfries just before 4, followed by 10 miles to my first site. 50 odd miles saturday to site 2 where I will base myself for 5 nights and do day rides. then return to Dumfries via site 1 for the train back next Friday.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4168 on: 21 July, 2011, 11:16:10 pm »
I can see the bottom of my BiCon inbox.  I have dealt with stuff which was badly overdue and am mostly caught up with my "bereavement + being ill" backlog, finally.

I'm also feeling a little less ropey than I have all week.  I might be functional by Saturday when I next need it and properly well by Monday when I go back to work.

« Reply #4169 on: 21 July, 2011, 11:25:18 pm »
Good to hear you are feeling a bit better.  :thumbsup:

My work inbox currently shows about 140 unread emails..... if it's really urgent they'll escalate it to my manager..... ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4170 on: 22 July, 2011, 02:12:12 am »
*grins* at AndrewC.

I've studiously been emailing in sick from my gmail rather than as I usually do from my work email as I don't have any intention of even looking at that inbox or worrying about it.  My work mates get quite confused that I don't DO "inbox guilt" while off sick. 

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #4171 on: 22 July, 2011, 07:05:53 am »
My boss rode into work for the second time yesterday.  He's sounding quite enthusiastic about it, and has started looking for a new bike.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #4172 on: 22 July, 2011, 09:00:17 am »
My boss rode into work for the second time yesterday.  He's sounding quite enthusiastic about it, and has started looking for a new bike.
Cool :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4173 on: 22 July, 2011, 05:29:06 pm »
From Frank's retirement do:-

Temple Sutton First Team, National Schools' Under-11 Chess Champions 1992, 19 years later

In board order: Simon Armour, Ellen Walker, Richard Lizzimore, Yip Fai Leung, Emma Osborn, Laura Ladd

La famille Wow.

That was a weird experience. Loads of people whose faces I recognised but whose names I couldn't remember, some of whom were in very poor health. I was delighted to be able to greet the entire chess team from '92. We won other National titles, but that was the sweetest.

« Reply #4174 on: 22 July, 2011, 07:57:26 pm »
I think this is in the correct thread...
My YACF 3XL shirts are beginning to look a little too large

I'd make a provisional offer to buy pending what you have but I am hoping to shrink out of mine too.