Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164516 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6175 on: 04 March, 2014, 09:38:17 am »
My Harry Quinn frame is ready at the powder coaters. This may end up in the good news/bad news thread, if they haven't masked the bottom of the fork steerer. They didn't last time and it was a devil of a job to get the coating off, so I specifically asked the boss to mask it this time.

Update: Well, it looks OK and will pass muster, but it isn't as good as the last frame I had done there. The coating is much thicker in places. They also removed the BB cups I had deliberately put in place to protect the threads - something I learned from the last time and Robgul OTP's advice. Their attempt to mask off the BB threads was partially successful, but there was a bit of overspray I've just had to dremmel off. I also had a battle to get the steerer masking off and still had to remove some coating, but it was easier than last time.

They also charged £40 this time compared to £30 last time.

A very qualified success.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6176 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:52:34 am »
But, actually, rather interesting - and possibly more easily bagged by bike than the one in Northumberland.
That depends where your parents live. ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6177 on: 17 March, 2014, 10:30:47 am »
I have my Honda back.

The 'orrible Touran has gone back.

TLD's new bike is back from the paintshop.

Life is good!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6178 on: 17 March, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »
Mrs Cudzo's glary light has been fixed. Not by antimolishing it, which she would have preferred, but by changing it back to the yellowish variety that the whole office used till two weeks ago - why they were changed, no one seems to know - which is at least good enough.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6179 on: 21 March, 2014, 03:38:24 pm »
I have just received my gas and electricity bills, having had the meters read earlier in the week. SSE have reduced my monthly payments by £36, £11 off the leccy bit and £25 off the gassy bit. I reckon that the bulk of that is down to 2013/14 not having a winter. We also has our boiler replaced with a condensing jobbie. That may have helped as well.

Last year, we quite often augmented the central heating with an electric radiator.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6180 on: 21 March, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »
A gentleman has paid me for the use of one of my photos. That was a very nice surprise.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6181 on: 21 March, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »
well despite all the carp thats going on else where in my life, I am now a NPTC qualified pesticide sprayer,
pesticides in this instance means herbicides, insecticides and fungicides, all good for my gardening business
Oh and I'm also now licensed with the EA as a waste carrier, I never knew it was so expensive to be a gardener??   

« Reply #6182 on: 02 May, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »
Miss Dan the Younger got her Blue Peter badge today. She's really pleased with herself  :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6183 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:51:03 am »
I just got an email confirming validation of the EldestCub's first 100k :D

And have sent an h'official email off to register for the FNRttC for him  :D :D

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6184 on: 06 May, 2014, 01:40:22 pm »
Excellent effort EC.  :thumbsup: Bikey-Mikey had better watch out! :demon:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #6185 on: 15 May, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »
Within 10 minutes of the Boy e-mailing to say that he’d got the equivalent of a First in both Linguistics and Swedish in his 2nd year University exams (just waiting for French now) the Girl phoned to say that she has had two offers for permanent jobs for the two interviews she sat earlier in the week. She’s currently on a 1-year contract.

For some reason me and Mrs N have been self-congratulatory since we heard, as if we’ve had something to do with it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6186 on: 16 May, 2014, 08:37:20 am »
Mrs. Wow has spent all week looking after our 1-year-old grandson. He is absolutely devoted to his "manma". It has to be said that she is quite smitten as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6187 on: 16 May, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
It's not about number of gadgets, it's about not committing to what gadgets you're going to have and where you're going to use them before you put the tiles up.  Perfectly sensible to make sure there's a double socket (no point in fitting singles) at each end of a stretch of worktop, as well as plenty in the spaces where appliances are (or might later be) installed.  Then you put in another double socket everywhere that you're putting a back box for a fused isolator or lightswitch or phone socket or whatever.

The real question is, of course, how many RJ45 structured cabling jacks do you have in your kitchen?  Wifi's all very well, but you'll regret it when your IPv6-enabled fridge drops off the net every time you use the microwave :)

i missed all this socket fun for some reason!

We have 22 sockets in our kitchen, like mrcharly's new one. As Kim says, it isn't the total number, but what you might need to use in each location.
RJ45? One only, I'm afraid.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Ruth

« Reply #6188 on: 16 May, 2014, 12:42:28 pm »
I have decided on somewhere nice to ride out for lunch with mcshroom  :D

It's beautifully warm and sunny  :D

I haz three days off and managed not to ruin today by drinking too much last night  :D

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #6189 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:10:37 pm »
It is Friday 16th May and therefore the end of the Work Week From Hell.

« Reply #6190 on: 16 May, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »
Week from hell indeed. Glad it's over.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6191 on: 17 May, 2014, 10:09:03 am »
We hosted our first warmshowers guest last night. It was very last minute, as the chap visited Woolly in the bike shop the same day (they'd been conversing online about the trip already) but it went really well. Anyone who has this idea has to be entertaining, really: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=343792&v=77

He also introduced us to this campaign to get people in India to take the poo to the loo. Oh my.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6192 on: 17 May, 2014, 11:10:02 am »
We haz cake :thumbsup:

Lemon roulard to be precise :smug:

ETA  & there is a carrot cake in the cooker ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6193 on: 17 May, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
He also introduced us to this campaign to get people in India to take the poo to the loo. Oh my.

I'm nominating that as the official earworm of the week.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6194 on: 17 May, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »
That's excellent! It's just a shame the people who need to see it don't have loos, let alone flush loos with flashing lights like that one.

ETA: 1. Of course, those same people don't, by and large, speak English.
2. Interesting that it's ok to quite clearly say "shit" but in written form it needs to be asterisked. Or maybe the asterisk just adds emphasis? Or maybe it even is a spelling variant now!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6195 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:18:26 pm »
Got the marks back for the last assignment for one of the OU modules I'm doing. I've only gone and got 100%!! That never happens  :thumbsup:

So pleased.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6196 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:45:42 pm »
Well done mate, 100% is impressive!

« Reply #6197 on: 19 May, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »
Blimey, well done. I thought they knocked the odd percentage off for forms sake.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6198 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
Well they clearly did, gave 110% and only got 100%  :-)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6199 on: 20 May, 2014, 06:36:13 am »
Was it an exam of two halves?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes