Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164720 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6725 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »
Amazingly, someone is still ordering correction fluid for the office.

AND IT'S THE SOLVENT-BASED STUFF!!

This is going to make the day go so much quicker  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6726 on: 17 May, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »
With a handy nostril-friendly nozzle?  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6727 on: 23 May, 2017, 07:01:07 pm »
Appropriately for a "Pub" theme, daughter's fiance has created a whisky based cocktail that has been shortlisted for a global airport food and drink award. As he started off working as a casual barman, I am pleased to see him get some recognition for his hard work and knowledge of the drinks business.
The ceremony is in Toronto airport in June. http://airportfab.events/.
As Miss .M. will likely accompany him ,it means that all of our family has been to Toronto in the last few years. Just like sheep we follow each others footsteps.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6728 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:42:26 pm »
I exchanged birthday greetings with a cousin who celebrates tomorrow while our respective Aged Parents live it up on a warm foreign beach without us.
We are blessed. Our parents are all of sound mind and comfortable means. The youngest in the beach party is nearly 76.

I think the combined age of our 4 Aged Parents is 328.

« Reply #6729 on: 08 June, 2017, 07:47:25 pm »
Wallet stupidly left in taxi has been returned complete.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6730 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »
A couple of days ago I left my wallet - cash and cards - at home. Oh Noes! thought I, this means I must either borrow from someone at work (which I would hate) or starve away into DETH.

Fortunately I remembered that I had installed (but never actually used) Android pay on my mobile (which has a fingerprint reader) so I was able to survive the day. I used it for a couple of bits and pieces, and have used it for about another three contactless payments, as it is convenient.

So why here? Well, android Pay are running a promotion, each time you use the system up until n July, you get a little "envelope" to open which, so the legend tells you, may win you something. Oh yeah? thought I.

Well, off the back of those purchases I've just won a £20 House of Fraser voucher. Straight up voucher, not £20 off £100 or anything. Mind you I don't think I have ever bought anything in House of Fraser, but that's a minor matter.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #6731 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:54:12 pm »
I found out today I'm getting a promotion at work.
I met a nice lady yesterday and I think she might be "a keeper".

These things come in threes. What's next  ;D

Update: since the above I married the aforementioned "keeper, we've had a son, moved house, quit job and set up own business, bred sheep and now our son (NanoQ) has learnt to ride a bike.  Life is good.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6732 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:56:51 pm »
 :D

Lots of good news there, Mr Q.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #6733 on: 20 August, 2017, 04:07:33 pm »
Hooray. Today is the first time I managed to get on a bike since my little accident just over four months ago. Only very upright bikes for now and ones without gears that need to be operated by my left hand, so my brompton or a boris bike seem fine. The doctors told me I would be unlikely to be on a bike again until next year  :'( so I'm quite pleased with myself  :smug:

I also started running again about a month ago once my broken leg healed, so it all finally feels like I'm getting somewhere.

This all makes me incredibly happy  :D :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6734 on: 20 August, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
 ^ :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6735 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »
Excellent news there Pippsy. I'll tell The Australians, they will be pleased. X
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6736 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:43:16 am »
Hooray. Today is the first time I managed to get on a bike since my little accident just over four months ago. Only very upright bikes for now and ones without gears that need to be operated by my left hand, so my brompton or a boris bike seem fine. The doctors told me I would be unlikely to be on a bike again until next year  :'( so I'm quite pleased with myself  :smug:

I also started running again about a month ago once my broken leg healed, so it all finally feels like I'm getting somewhere.

When did you break your leg?
The 'little incident' was a dislocated shoulder (your story didn't say anything about screaming; every time I've heard ofpeople dislocating shoulders, lots of screaming was involved. Are you that hardcore?).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6737 on: 21 August, 2017, 12:24:22 pm »
read down the ski thread a little, sore left leg developed from hairline fracture to full fib fracture while running for the bus to the GP once back in the UK.

Good to hear you are recovering quicker than expected Pippa.

« Reply #6738 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »
read down the ski thread a little, sore left leg developed from hairline fracture to full fib fracture while running for the bus to the GP once back in the UK.

Good to hear you are recovering quicker than expected Pippa.
Ah, I missed that bit.

So, both skiing and running for busses need to be added to the list of dangerous activities.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6739 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »

Hurrah hurrah! Good news indeed.
California Dreaming

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #6740 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »

When did you break your leg?
The 'little incident' was a dislocated shoulder (your story didn't say anything about screaming; every time I've heard ofpeople dislocating shoulders, lots of screaming was involved. Are you that hardcore?).

I didn't scream. Well I did shout for attention but I didn't scream in pain. I seem to remember remaining remarkably calm throughout. Although apparently I refused to get in the blood wagon and insisted on a helicopter which seems perfectly sensible to me  ;D

And yes Matthew is correct - I had a sore leg after but thought it was bruising and then ran for a bus when I got home a week later and my fibula snapped.  I limped to hospital and self diagnosed a broken a fibula by feeling and then moving my bone about  :o

« Reply #6741 on: 08 September, 2017, 10:41:05 am »
My, rather less impressive, good news is that I've just picked up my new waterproof from the sorting office. Why such good news? In about an hour I'm off for a weekends riding on the South Downs way and there's plenty of rain in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #6742 on: 08 September, 2017, 09:25:11 pm »
My, rather less impressive, good news is that I've just picked up my new waterproof from the sorting office. Why such good news? In about an hour I'm off for a weekends riding on the South Downs way and there's plenty of rain in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wave when you get to Eastbourne - I'm afraid the weather is my fault. This weekend is the first one I haven't got studying to do and would actually be allowed to go ride my bike. So of course the forecast is pish.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6743 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:56:40 pm »
Bump!

Booked my flight and motor-car for this year's Leftpondian road trip.  I am intending to visit the BEAR's relatives in Alaska on the way to exotic Nevada, which will give Mr Hertz fifty fits when he gets his car back.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6744 on: 22 February, 2018, 02:14:47 pm »
I just sold my Birdy Blue. I bought it off Simonp OTP a few years ago with the intention of using it for touring. I did manage a Lake District short stay with it 2 years ago, but that was it.  Well, n-1 is never good, but I hope it's gone to a good home where it will get used a lot more than it was in my ownership.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6745 on: 23 February, 2018, 09:13:23 am »
I've been able to go out running every day this half term week, with my 4-year old riding his Islabike alongside.  He only graduated from a balance bike at Christmas and his progress is awesome.  We did 7 miles on Tuesday and another 5 on Wednesday. ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6746 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:58:59 pm »
I didn't have this afternoon as holiday after all.
This is good news cos I was taking it to finish a paper at home in peace (i.e. work) but it turned all quiet this morning so I got a lot done then and by the time the delivery I was waiting for arrived it was 1pm and not really worth going home for. So I saved half a day hols and got to finish my paper at a proper comfy desk and monitors rather than having to peer at a laptop while a cat tries to sit on my lap.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6747 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:29:46 pm »
My eldest just presented me with three pressed daffodils from my dad's funeral. She's a dark horse, my daughter, but then she does things like this that make me realise what a treasure she is. I shall put one in my Mothers' Day card to me Ma in a few weeks.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6748 on: 04 March, 2018, 11:07:46 am »
Sunshine on Leith is touring! I just bought tickets for me & my daughter & her mate in early June.

« Reply #6749 on: 05 March, 2018, 03:09:52 am »
We won an Oscar for Blade Runner :D :D :D