Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164552 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #1850 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
Yeay, on Sunday I finally got back out on the bike. First time since crash in September! Well, the bike still works - though I think the bars are almost imperceptibly bent - and I don't seem to have lost my balance. Though TBH I have the natural balance and coordination fo a 3-legged sloth on valium and a bottle and a half of vodka.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1851 on: 19 January, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »
I've been asked to advise on a very high profile, NHS related, east of England cycling event.  Complete with Olympic athletes.  It is currently very "hush hush" (so no telling anyone you lot).

Looks as though my contract here may be extended!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1852 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:12:18 am »
My eyes just saw the word "Clarion" but by brain read "Clarkson". Could they be related?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1853 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
Well, he is from Yorkshire, I'm embarrassed to say, and I think we do have a common ancestor (somewhere in Kenya, several million years ago, I'd guess ;D )
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1854 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:27:58 am »
I've just stuffed myself in the Virgin Upper Class lounge.

I only travelled Upper Class once, about 9 years back, but the striking thing I found about the lounge was the proportion of the lounge attendants who were pregnant (presumably since they couldn't work onboard the planes by that stage of pregnancy) -- it stuck in my memory because I found that, combined with the "Virgin" logo on the uniforms, quite funny.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1855 on: 20 January, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »
I like your sense of humour Oaky :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1856 on: 22 January, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »
Peli is on the way home from Heathrow and foreign bits \o/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1857 on: 22 January, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »
I've just stuffed myself in the Virgin Upper Class lounge.

I only travelled Upper Class once, about 9 years back, but the striking thing I found about the lounge was the proportion of the lounge attendants who were pregnant (presumably since they couldn't work onboard the planes by that stage of pregnancy) -- it stuck in my memory because I found that, combined with the "Virgin" logo on the uniforms, quite funny.

Virgin company motto: "It's a fucking miracle!"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1858 on: 22 January, 2010, 06:22:06 pm »
We have just filed our tax returns and I've paid my tax.

I'm now celebrating with a Fursty Ferret.

« Reply #1859 on: 22 January, 2010, 10:34:04 pm »
I filled my tax return this week and paid it (too).

We attended Romeo and Juliet at the ROH this week, which was wonderful.

I submitted my draft for an important report to one of my paymasters.

I just booked two seats for The Nutcracker at the Nottingham Royal Theatre for next week.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1860 on: 22 January, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
... the bad news is that I have another report due in one week and a lot of papers to assess next week too (a lot!).
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1861 on: 23 January, 2010, 01:01:15 am »
I've found the woman of my dreams. Just got to figure out how to keep her now...

Deborah

« Reply #1862 on: 23 January, 2010, 02:00:49 pm »
Well done Quisling. Enjoying being with someone special is the best way to help things along. 

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1863 on: 23 January, 2010, 02:12:13 pm »
The horribly loud sanding type DIY noise that has been going on for most of the day appears to have stopped. *sigh.*
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1864 on: 23 January, 2010, 04:31:57 pm »
I've found the woman of my dreams. Just got to figure out how to keep her now...
That is good news :D.
Does she ride a bike?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1865 on: 23 January, 2010, 04:51:58 pm »

I was going to make some comment about handcuffs & rope but thought better of it.
Deborah & Butterfly have the correct idea which proves that the ladies are better at matters of the heart.
Congrats to Quisling.Your good fortune is overdue

« Reply #1866 on: 23 January, 2010, 04:56:21 pm »

I was going to make some comment about handcuffs & rope but thought better of it.
Deborah & Butterfly have the correct idea which proves that the ladies are better at matters of the heart.
Clarion's response was 'put her in a cage?' ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1867 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »

Deborah & Butterfly have the correct idea which proves that the ladies are better at matters of the heart.Congrats to Quisling.Your good fortune is overdue

Clarion's response was 'put her in a cage?' ::-)
[/quote]
which endorse's my opinion

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1868 on: 23 January, 2010, 05:07:45 pm »
I'm really pleased for you Quisling. The balance between smothering her and paying her enough attention to show how much she means to you is quite a fine one. Good luck with it.

Our good news is that we are about half way through moving all our belongings to our new abode. I won't be sad to leave our current rented dwelling and it's tired furniture and carpets. Roll on next weekend.

« Reply #1869 on: 23 January, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »

I almost mentioned soundproof cellars, but also thought better of it.

The balance between smothering her and paying her enough attention to show how much she means to you is quite a fine one.
I disagree. Smothering runs a risk of being rather . . . final. And not a gesture of affection unless she's very keen on kinky stuff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1870 on: 23 January, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »

Haha, handcuffs are a possibility, given that she's a Plod. Yes, she cycles a bit. And has a motorbike licence, knows about keeping chickens etc. Can't believe my luck frankly!

border-rider

« Reply #1871 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:32:36 pm »
I filled my tax return this week and paid it (too).

I did mine this afternoon.  It only took about 20 minutes, including paying. That's good.

And I've done my Welsh homework :)

« Reply #1872 on: 25 January, 2010, 08:09:23 am »
Just had a Q&A call with the new guy at a client who is deciding on a big project (big for us anyway)

30 seconds into the call we realised we'd been at university together, cancelled the rest of the call and are meeting for a pint* at lunchtime instead :)   First time that's ever happened to me, I think.

* only bad point is that mine'll be orange & soda.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1873 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:02:42 am »
As well as a heap of work to deal with at work (pass me my shitshovel, would you? :-\ ), there was a heeyuge box from Wiggle in my office, containing a new h*lm*t, two sets of RaceBlades (one to replace my broken ones; one to replace Superstoker's Crud Roadracers), a chain and brake blocks for Butterfly's bike.

Sadly, no sweeties.  Should I complain? :-\
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1874 on: 25 January, 2010, 03:46:52 pm »
As well as a heap of work to deal with at work (pass me my shitshovel, would you? :-\ ), there was a heeyuge box from Wiggle in my office, containing a new h*lm*t, two sets of RaceBlades (one to replace my broken ones; one to replace Superstoker's Crud Roadracers), a chain and brake blocks for Butterfly's bike.

Sadly, no sweeties.  Should I complain? :-\

I would!  Fancy them sending you a h*lm*t...  >:( >:( >:(

;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor