Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164586 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2100 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:16:16 pm »
My replacement frame is at the shop. I'll collect it on Monday and will have it ready for the arrow ride on Friday.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #2101 on: 26 March, 2010, 05:18:32 pm »
Thanks to BST, I can now put my Cotic Roadrat in the shed and get the Langster out for the next six to seven months. I suppose I could clean it first.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2102 on: 26 March, 2010, 06:13:53 pm »
Today was the final of our Law School annual moot competition.   I have been Master of the Moot this year, and, I devised the problem for the final on the subject of adverse possession.   Previously the problems have always been recycled from other sources - this was a first for us. 

Before the final I lunched with three senior partners of the local sponsoring law firm who were to judge the moot.   We naturally discussed the problem in detail.   One of the partners, a property expert, proclaimed my problem superb with interesting levels of legal fact to offer both sides a realistic opportunity of prevailing.   

After the final, which was declared by our head of department the 'best ever final' at our school, the most senior of the partners approached me and offered me a training contract.   Interestingly, to lawyer types anyway, his surname is Judge, and he lives in Warwickshire.

Woo Hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:     

Deborah

« Reply #2103 on: 26 March, 2010, 06:37:14 pm »
Congratulations

« Reply #2104 on: 26 March, 2010, 07:21:55 pm »
Ta muchly.   ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2105 on: 26 March, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »
PB - Great News, congratulations!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2106 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:39:44 pm »
Email from a council droid:

I was extremely concerned to read your email in respect of the above incident and the driving standards of a Derby City Council driver.

This was passed to me via our internal complaints procedure.

I will ensure that the manager of the driver concerned investigates this matter thoroughly. I see no reason why the internal disciplinary procedure should not be invoked in this case.

In the meantime, if you wish to contact the local police to report this incident, I will be able to provide the details of the driver and vehicle concerned.

(See my recent rant!)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2107 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:49:33 pm »
My request for one month's unpaid leave was *finally* granted today, after lots of hoop-jumping and teeth-grinding, so we're off to Australia and NZ cycle touring in October!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2108 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
and November :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2109 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »
Well done  :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2110 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »
Woo to PB and also to Peli and Woolly :)

We had no power (OMG, I could not haz a cup o EarlyGrey tea!) and no heating at work this morning so we got sent home just after 10am, and a colleague and I have just been to the gym instead :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2111 on: 31 March, 2010, 12:31:10 pm »
Great news Woolly & Peli.

Best not get a dog before then, eh?
Getting there...

« Reply #2112 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »
More good news: I'm being put forward for promotion.

Please keep everything crossed!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2113 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:02:36 pm »
Cool.  Being recognised at last.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2114 on: 01 April, 2010, 12:54:58 am »
BBC News - Scientists in sleeping sickness 'breakthrough'

This is why we have burned through a fair pile of cash over the last 5 years. It isn't the usual fluff piece, this is about as close to the clinic as you can get whilst still being in academia. I have done very little on this project but it has been hugely exciting to see it progress.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2115 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:12:56 pm »
The tandem is back :D. All shiny and everything :thumbsup:

*boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing boing*

^ happy bounces 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2116 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »
I hope you're not going to let Clarion build it up again.   :o   ;)

« Reply #2117 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »
Oh, and let's have some piccies then, please?   :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2118 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:29:30 pm »
Today was the final of our Law School annual moot competition.   I have been Master of the Moot this year, and, I devised the problem for the final on the subject of adverse possession.   Previously the problems have always been recycled from other sources - this was a first for us. 

Before the final I lunched with three senior partners of the local sponsoring law firm who were to judge the moot.   We naturally discussed the problem in detail.   One of the partners, a property expert, proclaimed my problem superb with interesting levels of legal fact to offer both sides a realistic opportunity of prevailing.   

After the final, which was declared by our head of department the 'best ever final' at our school, the most senior of the partners approached me and offered me a training contract.   Interestingly, to lawyer types anyway, his surname is Judge, and he lives in Warwickshire.

Woo Hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:  8)  :thumbsup:     

Just seen this.  Fantastic news, well done PB :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2119 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:42:32 pm »
I hope you're not going to let Clarion build it up again.   :o   ;)

Oi!

Mind you, I've found one problem already.  One rear dropout is slightly too small.  I shall have to get a file out. :( *sigh*
Getting there...

« Reply #2120 on: 01 April, 2010, 07:25:11 pm »

Just seen this.  Fantastic news, well done PB :D

Hi Julian,

Thanks very much indeed.   I'm really rather chuffed about it.    8)     

« Reply #2121 on: 01 April, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »
After some months of sharing my MTB to commute Mrs Dan has  accepted that there is merit in riding something better than a BSO, gone to the shop, bought a sensible ridgeback speed, and come home very pleased with herself for finding the uphill to home is now much easier (to be fair, she's been to quite a few spinning classes, isn't not just the bike).  :thumbsup:

She also suggested that she didn't mind me spending money on toys for my bike.  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2122 on: 07 April, 2010, 06:53:58 pm »
Two orders in the same week :o It's a long time since that occurred.

« Reply #2123 on: 07 April, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »
After a particularly testing day, I'm about to spend a day working with NICE people, followed by a mini-tour with my lovely Woolly.

« Reply #2124 on: 07 April, 2010, 09:04:46 pm »
Daylight saving is over. Home and work in the same time zone for 6 months!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1