Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164401 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2675 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »
Sold my Rockhopper which will make space for (and help fund!) n+1 :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2676 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:26:14 pm »
It's rained catsanddoggs a few times in the last 48 hours,particularly overnight & this afternoon so much so that the top patio is flooded.
It's good news insofaras it proves that our dutch tent,which has been on the top lawn since last Friday afternoon, is waterproof :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2677 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »
i haz a job, albeit just a short term assignment, but it will keep the wolves from the door for a bit longer :)

Oh and i will be back home every night whilst I am doing that job :) :)

Good lad! Pleased for you.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2678 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:20:13 am »
Sainsbury's have mince pies in stock!  :thumbsup: Just finished my first box of the season.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2679 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:28:47 am »
Merry Christmas!
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2680 on: 08 September, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
<old git> It's not even the equinox/Hallowe'en/bonfire night yet ... </old git>

<Homer Simpson> Mince pies ...  Mmmmm...  </Homer Simpson>

:-\ ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2681 on: 08 September, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »
Sainsbury's have mince pies in stock!  :thumbsup: Just finished my first box of the season.
Merry Christmas!

nononononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooo :hand:

wait untill December FFS ::-)

« Reply #2682 on: 08 September, 2010, 03:27:28 pm »
Not a big fan of Christmas, but mince pies on the other hand...

« Reply #2683 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:19:06 pm »
Merry Christmas!

nononononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooo :hand:

wait untill December FFS ::-)

They have mince pies in the village and are starting to put the christmas stock out in the Co-op  :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2684 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »
Well, I wish it could be Christmas every daaaaaay.... </Wizzard>
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2685 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »
Mince pies were originally Easter fare...

...so perhaps Sainsbury's are just a bit late - rather than early for Christmas.  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2686 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:49:55 pm »
Well, I wish it could be Christmas every daaaaaay.... </Wizzard>

Don't you effing well start, I went to the other side of the world last Xmas, in the hope, albeit it a forlorn hope, that I would not hear that pile of dross, or "So Here It Is, Merry Christmas".

On the first day we were there we needed to go shopping for clothes (thanks Quantas!) and what was the first thing I heard as I walked into Big W? Yes, Slade's merry little christmas ditty.....

Bolloxshitefuck, I HATE CHRISTMAS SONGS.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2687 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »
When I went to see Slade, they refused to play Merry Xmas Everybody, but let the crowd sing it (in its entirety).
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Good news
« Reply #2688 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:55:22 pm »
My good news is that I haven't knowingly listened to radio two since February 1975 and therefore am totally unacquainted with Ms Kennedy. I too indulged in mince pies from the shop whose name predictive text cannot predict but there was no hint of Christmas about them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2689 on: 08 September, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »
Two £25 wins on the premium bonds. About bloody time!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Good news
« Reply #2690 on: 08 September, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
My good news is that I haven't knowingly listened to radio two since February 1975 and therefore am totally unacquainted with Ms Kennedy.
She is the bastard daughter of Charles and JF. Perhaps.

My good news is that my no-name LBS (the sign outside just says "Bikes and Parts") gives wonderful service. It sells cheap, low-end components and decentish bikes with lesser known names, and over the last month or two I've been in and out several times to buy things for Mrs Cudzo's wierd blue bike. I was in there on Monday to buy a tyre and tube for said bike. Got the tyre for less than a fiver in your Great Britannical pounds, and the bloke commented I was "investing in bike parts"  ;D . And then I couldn't fit it to the slightly wierd rims (plastic, rims spokes hub all in one piece) despite it definitely being the right size. Broke one of my 20-year old tyre levers in the effort. Gave up  :( and took it back to the shop today. He doesn't really do repairs, except presumably for servicing bikes he sells, but he managed to fit it - more or less, the bead still isn't seated properly all the way round, but at least it's all in the rim - and commented that I was obviously used to fitting tyres because I had known to partially inflate the tube!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2691 on: 08 September, 2010, 08:35:55 pm »
More in common with Teddy.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2692 on: 08 September, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
You mean she's snuggling in my son's bed  :o  ???

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2693 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »
I forgot to add my other good news of the day. As mentioned above, I broke one of my tried and tested tyre levers a couple of days ago. I'd had the set of 3 for about 20 years, so I reckon they'd had a fair bit of use  :) And there are still 2 left. Nevertheless, I felt a purchase was in order, and I remembered having seen some strong-looking yellow ones in Decathlon, where I was heading anyway for something else. Imagine my delight when I found that for the same price as the 3 yellow levers I could get a kit with patches etc and 3 levers identical to the one I had broken! They are even still labelled Made in England!  :o

So I came home with no less than 6 tyre levers.  ::-) Well, they're always useful, one set on each bike and one at home and... oh, there are some at home already...

JJ

« Reply #2694 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:04:55 am »
I put my gloves on the saddle bag outside the supermarket last night, while I loaded the kiddie trailer with STUFF.  it not being cold, I didn't think to put them on afterwards, and so it was a miracle that there was one still there when I got home.  Still one is  not that much use, and even though not classy, they were a favourite pair.

This morning as I rode in with Pico J, what did I see in the road, but my glove, moist but undamaged.  Oh frabjious day!

« Reply #2695 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »
1 second peak power output of 1421W on the way in this morning. Getting back into it slowly... :)

[EDIT]

1512W this morning. Definitely no friday legs today despite an hour of 5-a-side last night followed by 5 pints. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2696 on: 10 September, 2010, 03:57:41 pm »
A good news Greasemonkey script thingamajig:

Camptown News for Greasemonkey

Camptown News reads every headline each time you visit BBC News or CNN. If the headline seems to have seven syllables, then it gets doo-dah, doo-dah added after it. Simple!

* Maryland jail death questioned – doo-dah, doo-dah
    * Child food 'poor' at attractions – doo-dah, doo-dah
    * Busy Moms: Staying Afloat – doo-dah, doo-dah

Once it's installed, visit BBC News or CNN.

Warning: This makes no distinction between fun, light-hearted news stories and horrific tragedies. If there's a terrible event and CNN happens to write a seven-syllable breaking news headline, this will (and, on occasion, has) put "doo-dah, doo-dah" after it. Also, it may make reading headlines about Barack Obama a slightly uncomfortable experience.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2697 on: 10 September, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »
That's even better than when, soon after his death, I jibbled our web proxy to rewrite all instances of "Michael Jackson" with "Daniel Jackson".  I was working my way through the SG-1 boxset (taking careful note of how many times Daniel dies) at the time, and this made for some truly excellent headlines.

« Reply #2698 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »
But isn't that a bit fuzzy, depending on whether you count alternate time lines and robot versions of Daniel?
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2699 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:01:10 pm »
CrinklyCub the elder got a "headteacher's award" today.  Which involved being presented, in their school "celebration assembly",  with a certificate (with shiny gold bits) and explaining to the whole school, staff and assorted parents all about his Awfully Big Adventure and how he's raised a huge wodge of cash for DebRA.  Although I was stuck in a different shool which over an hour's ride away, so not really feasible to nip over and join them, his dad managed to get out of work to go and see him getting awarded too.  Happy Cub  :thumbsup: