Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164626 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #2900 on: 05 November, 2010, 10:54:59 am »
At the beginning of this week, there were over 1000 e-mails in my work in-tray.  I finally managed to allocate the time to set up a proper ticketing system; now there are fewer than 100.

And I persuaded the chairman of the board to let me recruit more staff.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2901 on: 05 November, 2010, 11:08:29 am »
I is 40.  :-\

40 is the new 21!  :thumbsup:

Belated felicitations...   how's the head?

Misread. Again.  :-[  ;)

Happy birthday!!!

It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: I may have inherited ....
« Reply #2902 on: 05 November, 2010, 11:09:29 am »
The testator made you the beneficiary of the deposit box which contains 314,000GB

Are you sure it isn't just a RAID Array?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2903 on: 05 November, 2010, 11:09:42 am »
Ms AWL was 40 yesterday as well!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2904 on: 05 November, 2010, 11:19:33 am »
What a present.
The hospital phoned to say it's all clear.
I'm amazed how relieved I am, I was obviously more worried than I thought, or pretended to be. Excellent.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2905 on: 05 November, 2010, 12:12:29 pm »
Great news.
Getting there...

« Reply #2906 on: 05 November, 2010, 10:48:05 pm »
I'm on a weekend walking holiday, a birthday present from the lovely mrs mike, staying in a b&b about 5 miles from Aviemore. I wandered down to the local for a refreshing pint before dinner and was walking to the bar for my second when I realized the bloke I sort of recognised at the table on the far side of the room, the one who I'd seen looking at me before, was someone I was at uni with 18 years ago and haven't seen for 15!!  He was living in Moscow for years but just moved to 1/2 mile away and I was drinking in his local!

Am now very, very drunk.

« Reply #2907 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:18:11 pm »
I just got an email from Planet-X saying that they'll be building my n+1, in a few days.

Yay!
Happy bounce.

It's shipped, so it ought to be here tomorrow.

Even happier bounce!

(Assuming my Arkel Trunk Bag and Randonneur Rack arrives in time, and it's dry, I may use it for the next, and year's final, FNRttC).
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2908 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
Dearly_Beloved just came home from work clutching his latest purchase.  Marathon Winters.  For his bike because he doesn't want to have to stop riding when the snow starts :o

(Mind, you know who'll get lumbered with all the bike-cleaning, don't you...)

LindaG

« Reply #2909 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:41:32 pm »
Dearly_Beloved just came home from work clutching his latest purchase.  Marathon Winters.  For his bike because he doesn't want to have to stop riding when the snow starts :o

Blimey!  Did you convert him?  I thought he was a bit of a reluctant cyclist, but Marathon Winters ... that's a hardcore purchase   ;D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2910 on: 08 November, 2010, 06:19:48 pm »
Well, he came off on ice twice last year, and once was when turning right at a junction with traffic and with the littly in the babyseat at the time so I can see his logic.... but, for someone who a year ago hadn't ridden a bike since his paper round the best part of 20 years ago, he was bizarrely pleased with his purchase!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2911 on: 08 November, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

Well, the cubs need to learn at some point. ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2912 on: 08 November, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
And, of course, the other plus point is that his bike is only slightly too big for me.... as in, if I hammer the seat down as far as it'll go I can turn the pedals and can just about get a foot down without causing injury.  So I can 'borrow' it when necessary  ;D

« Reply #2913 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:00:15 pm »

I have a vision of a three year old armed with Muck Off and j cloths, and it isn't pretty!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #2914 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:58:49 pm »

I have a vision of a three year old armed with Muck Off and j cloths, and it isn't pretty!

I'm never sure whether it would be easier to clean the bike rather than clean the child that's helped to clean the bike.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2915 on: 08 November, 2010, 10:28:26 pm »

I'm never sure whether it would be easier to clean the bike rather than clean the child that's helped to clean the bike.

You can hose both down....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2916 on: 09 November, 2010, 10:22:29 am »
I just got an email from Planet-X saying that they'll be building my n+1, in a few days.
...(Assuming my Arkel Trunk Bag and Randonneur Rack arrives in time, and it's dry, I may use it for the next, and year's final, FNRttC).

The Trunk Bag and Rack arrived this morning, and the bicycle is due to arrive this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Perfect timing with the deliveries.  Unfortunately it'll be after sunset by the time it turns up, and I'm not sure that cycling a brand new bike, even if I fitted lights, would be a smart move in the dark!

The Arkel Bag is rather nicely put together.  For the second time running, a delivery from Arkel has not been caught for VAT or Duty.  More yay!

« Reply #2917 on: 09 November, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

DPD bod just arrived with a very big parcel.  I've never had an entire bicycle posted to me assembled before, and gods that's a big box.  The Kaffenback was delivered in bits, so wasn't half as voluminous.

The box was so big, I had to take it outside to fold it flat, I didn't have enough room in the house to bend it over!  I feel a trip to the local recycling place coming on, I've got enough cardboard boxes in the house to build a small house out of cardboard. :)

The bike is lovely, and very red.  I'll post some piccies tomorrow, when I'm at work, where the cable to connect to my phone is!

I've had a little play with the double tap shifters, which are a bit odd.  You press them inwards to both shift up and down, just a slight push vs a bigger push.  Rather strange, but I guess I'll get used to it.

It has white brake hoods, which are just asking to get dirty.  I think I'll use a set of white pedals, so the hoods, pedals, and lettering on the frame are all white on red.

Happy jig.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #2918 on: 09 November, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »
So, has it been out for its first trip yet?  How is it?  Will the kaffenback's feelings be hurt at the new arrival?  When will it appear on member's bikes?

« Reply #2919 on: 09 November, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »
I'm afraid once I'd unpacked it, and fiddled with it, it was too dark to take it out.

I think I can fit a spare front light mount to it, but I haven't worked out where to put rear lights yet.

That aside, I think riding it in the dark would be a bad idea, until I'm totally comfy with things like the double tap shifters, which are quite different from anything else I've ever had.

I'm not sure I'll have time to try it out tomorrow either.  I need to be in early for a meeting, and then I'll probably spend the rest of the day trying to complete the stuff which was meant to be done today whilst I was at home waiting for the bike to be delivered. :-\

It's probably best left until the weekend, so I can adjust everything carefully, and make sure it's all done up tight.  I don't entirely trust bikes put together by someone else.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2920 on: 09 November, 2010, 07:24:57 pm »

IME bikes don't scream if soap goes in the wrong place...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2921 on: 09 November, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »
IME bikes don't scream if soap goes in the wrong place...

There must be a Kool Stop toe-in thread somewhere to prove the contrary...   ;)

« Reply #2922 on: 10 November, 2010, 02:13:39 pm »
... When will it appear on member's bikes?

It's up there, and very red. ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2923 on: 10 November, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »
Having obtained some blotting paper, I have now filled my fountain pen and had fun writing with it.

I also have a black thumb :-[
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2924 on: 11 November, 2010, 01:18:07 pm »
It seems that the department in which I earn my crust is to be merged with its equivalent in another division of The BigCo.  It is therefore suspected that we will want to have all the machines in one place, and that's unlikely to be here coz our machine room is already full and there's no space to expand it.  So it'd have to be at the other lot's place, which is in High Holborn.  Which would mean I'd have to start riding to jbex again.

(Crosses fingers)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime