Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1164545 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3050 on: 16 December, 2010, 08:18:31 am »
My parent's second guide dog puppy Zeus has just graduated as a fully grown guide dog!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :smug:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3051 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:16:36 am »
Just been chatting to a journalist who will do a high profile story on the calendar. Watch the various web sites..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3052 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:25:16 am »
Just checked my student record page on the OU website:-

Might have to go get a coffee and then take the plunge.

MSXR209 (the residential course)...

Minimal expectations: Grade 2 pass (88% in first assignment, need 70% in second)
Happiness would be: Grade 1 (Distinction) (would need 85% in second assignment)

MST209 (half of a second year Maths degree. Coursework mark is already known to be Grade 2 pass so can't get any higher than that.)

Minimal expectations: Grade 3 pass (the exam was a git). I'd hope for at least 60%
Happiness would be: Grade 2 pass (exam was a git that may mean the threshold was dropped below 70% and I got enough...)

Grade 2 in MST209 means I need I can get one Grade 2 and one Grade 3 pass in the remaining 3rd year modules and still get Grade 2 (a 2:1) overall.

Grade 3 in MST209 means I need to get Grade 2 in both remaining 3rd year modules to get a 2:1 for the degree.

Back in 10 mins...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3053 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:38:43 am »
MSXR209: Distinction

90% in the second assignment (worth 80% of the course).

Woohoo!

Now to click on the MST209 link....

Blimey.

MST209: Grade 2 pass

75% in the exam. Wasn't expecting that at all.

That should be a Diploma in Mathematics in the post, and only half my third year to go to finish off a whole Bachelors...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #3054 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:50:07 am »
Mrs S got a tax rebate.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3055 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:59:18 am »
Hey, Greenbank!  Very well done there.  I remember how much work you were putting into that.  You got what you deserved. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #3056 on: 16 December, 2010, 01:52:01 pm »
Sainsburys dropped off my seasonal booze delivery 25 mins late.

SOOO, I get a £10 e-voucher to buy more booze!

I was sitting at home doing bugger all anyway, so I'll call that a result.

XO calvados, hmmmm.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3057 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »
I just found Talisker's vaccination certificate, which is good news for me, since I was reckoning on having to take him into the vets tomorrow to get another set of vaccinations done, just to get the certificate, and it would have cost >£50 probably, and it's also good news for Talisker, since he's not exactly a fan of the vets (or traveling there) !
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3058 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:42:34 pm »
Walking into Bold St Coffee for a cappuccino,  a departing customer gave me a very obvious up & down look followed by a saucy wink  ;)

I'm obviously not as ugly or decrepit as I thought.

He was half my age as well.....  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3059 on: 16 December, 2010, 09:53:22 pm »
I don't have any bruised ribs!  :thumbsup:

But I do have a nasty muscle spasm, which has been likened unto a stone.  As least that should clear quicker than a bruised rib.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3060 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »
I just found Talisker's vaccination certificate, which is good news for me, since I was reckoning on having to take him into the vets tomorrow to get another set of vaccinations done, just to get the certificate, and it would have cost >£50 probably, and it's also good news for Talisker, since he's not exactly a fan of the vets (or traveling there) !

Your vet would have done a duplicate vaccine certificate for you from their records without charging you. I do these all the time, clients lose these more often than they find them, especially if they move house  :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3061 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:11:33 am »
Enjoying the sight of two naked bums on the front page of the Cycling Weekly web site..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3062 on: 17 December, 2010, 08:50:32 am »
Your vet would have done a duplicate vaccine certificate for you from their records without charging you. I do these all the time, clients lose these more often than they find them, especially if they move house  :)

Would they?  It never occurred to me that they might be able to do that!  Still, easier all round finding the original, and it saves me a three mile journey when I'm not feeling all that well.

I find the certificates a bit of a farce, since there's no proof that it's Talisker's certificate, other than my word.  They really ought to check the cats chip against the certificate's record of that ID (and on a digital record somewhere rather than a bit of cardboard that I could probably fake up without too much effort).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3063 on: 17 December, 2010, 08:52:04 am »
Enjoying the sight of two naked bums on the front page of the Cycling Weekly web site..

..d

Good work, fella! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #3064 on: 17 December, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »

Would they?  It never occurred to me that they might be able to do that!  Still, easier all round finding the original, and it saves me a three mile journey when I'm not feeling all that well.

I find the certificates a bit of a farce, since there's no proof that it's Talisker's certificate, other than my word.  They really ought to check the cats chip against the certificate's record of that ID (and on a digital record somewhere rather than a bit of cardboard that I could probably fake up without too much effort).

There is no legal requirement to microchip your pet though so it would be very difficult to enforce this.

Anyone that would borrow someone else's vaccine card to put their own (unvaccinated) pet into a kennels or cattery would be putting their pet at risk. Some kennels and catteries board rescue pets on behalf of the RSPCA etc. and these animals only receive their first vaccinations on arrival there, so could be carrying infection. I would never leave my pets in an establishment that didn't ask to see their cards. It isn't a perfect system, but faked certificates would probably be obvious to anyone used to looking at them and can be very quickly double checked with the vet who's signature is on the card. The batch number of the vaccine can be checked with the manufacturer to see if it was in use on the date claimed.

« Reply #3065 on: 17 December, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »
... Some kennels and catteries board rescue pets on behalf of the RSPCA etc. and these animals only receive their first vaccinations on arrival there, so could be carrying infection. ...

Oh, I'm not saying it's that bad a system, it could certainly be worse, and you could also have a much more secure systems, that was overly bureaucratic and expensive to operate.

I know the cattery I use takes in cats for the local cat protection bods, because a kitten that I found on the A23 (actually in the road!) went there after the vet saw it (the same ones I use, and next door to the cattery), and I actually quite like the fact that they look after these cats, since it means that they really have cats welfare at heart, so I know they'll look after my ball of furry trouble when he's staying.

... but just because it would be daft to do something like misuse another cats vaccination certificate, doesn't mean that some people won't try it.  People are stupid, and do even more stupid things than that to save smaller amounts of money. :-\

« Reply #3066 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
I think my particle filter is behaving now.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3067 on: 18 December, 2010, 06:15:01 pm »
I have won on 5 scratchcards in a row, only £1 on each card, but this evening I bought my last from the proceeds of the one before and I won £10 :thumbsup:  ;D

« Reply #3068 on: 18 December, 2010, 07:18:10 pm »
I have won on 5 scratchcards in a row, only £1 on each card, but this evening I bought my last from the proceeds of the one before and I won £10 :thumbsup:  ;D

Time to quit?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3069 on: 18 December, 2010, 10:11:05 pm »

Time to quit?

Hmmmm...maybe!  ;D

« Reply #3070 on: 19 December, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »
The samaritans were collecting in the bookshop in town today. That, itself, isn't really good news.
The good news was that they had an old fashioned collecting tin, not a load of direct debit forms. That's the first time in a long time that any charity has actually got anything from me in the high street. That probably is good news.

« Reply #3071 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:35:07 am »
My colleague has just texted me some confidential salary info.
My annual bonus is going to be 2%. As I had a disciplinary less than 3 months ago I hadn't expected anything. Nice.
Cinderella, you can go to the ball, and even get a new dress.

simonp

« Reply #3073 on: 22 December, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
Turns out a payroll error last month meant I paid far too much income tax. 650 refund tomorrow.

Chris S

« Reply #3074 on: 22 December, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »
Turns out a payroll error last month meant I paid far too much income tax. 650 refund tomorrow.

:o

'Kin ell, bet that was a shock!