Author Topic: Sandals  (Read 4306 times)

Sandals
« on: 17 May, 2017, 11:17:13 am »
I was thinking of getting spd sandals to use for the Celtic Knot and the LEL. I have looked at the Shimano SD5 Sandals and the EXUSTAR SS 503 Sandal.   Any experiences advice etc between these two not including price. Thanks

Re: Sandals
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:29:55 pm »
I've always had the Shimano ones, this year they needed replacing after 9 years so now have the Shimano SD5, I looked at the Exustar as they were cheaper, but then thought better the devil you know.....

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2017, 01:46:51 pm »
I've always had the Shimano ones, this year they needed replacing after 9 years so now have the Shimano SD5, I looked at the Exustar as they were cheaper, but then thought better the devil you know.....

How are the shimano ones from a audaxing point of view. do they provide a rigid enough platform and comfort for hours or days on end of pedalling?
also what would you recommend on sizing? Thanks

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2017, 02:07:27 pm »
I have an old minimalist (two straps, open toes) Rose Versand pair, and an Exustar pair (not quite as open - there's cover for the toes) which I bought when a strap came out of one of the Rose ones (since glued back in). Happy with both and have Audaxed in both up to LEL/PBP. Especially pleasing when splashing through warm summer puddle water.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2017, 02:58:09 pm »
I found the texture of the Exustar ones unpleasant.  I have Shimano-shaped feet, and those fit me well.  Meanwhile Barakta (who has unusual foot anatomy) couldn't get comfortable in the Shimanos, or most other cycling shoes we tried, but the range of adjustment of the Exustar ones worked.

It's shoes; fit trumps everything.

I mostly use them for touring, where quick-drying makes sandals superior to pretty much anything else, though I have ridden the occasional audax in them.  They're at least as good as my Shimano MTB shoes.

I'd suggest rounding up size-wise, to allow room for socks (possibly waterproof ones) in cold weather.

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2017, 02:59:01 pm »
I have used Lake, Shimano and Exustar. Don't like the later. I do like the Shimano 2 strap but dislike the 3 strap. My favourite is the Lake although I think they are no longer made. The last Lakes I got was from a seller at Mildenhall Rally, he had a large stock.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2017, 03:13:48 pm »

How are the shimano ones from a audaxing point of view. do they provide a rigid enough platform and comfort for hours or days on end of pedalling?
also what would you recommend on sizing? Thanks
I have ridden many miles with mine and I find them very comfortable as for sizing I take a 9 so 43-44

« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2017, 03:24:50 pm »
I've got the old Exustar (SS502, 2-strap, protected toe), and old Shimano (SD66, 2 strap, open toe).

The Exustar is the 3rd pair of similar I've had - on one pair the cleat slots broke fairly early on, the other had a lot of wear and tear, with the strappy bits on top breaking and being stitched back together, before the plastic insole split at the walking flex point. The patterned footbed is also quite uncomfortable at first if you walk much whilst it's new, but is OK after a while.
I didn't like the enclosed nature of the SS503 (3 straps, mesh between the straps on top), so I got the SD66 as a second pair. They have been fine so far.

Both are OK up to 200k, not tried them further.
I initially got them for touring, but I've only been using shoes when it's too cold (below 5°C) for the last 4 or 5 years.

I'm 46 in regular shoes, I got the 45-46 option

Buying again, I'd currently get the SD5.
The old Exustar is still available from Bike Nashbar as the Ragster II.

« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2017, 06:46:28 pm »
Shimano here . They are my everyday footwear and very comfortable. I only need socks below freezing  :) size 44 .
the slower you go the more you see

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2017, 07:09:25 pm »
I've used Shimano sandals  for every LEL since 2005 (and many other rides), without socks. In the rain the water flows away and feet dry as soon as it stops raining. The only times I've used socks with them is in temperatures more than about 30 degrees in France and Italy - to prevent my  sweaty feet sliding about and chafing on the straps. 

They are the only footwear I take on tour
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2017, 07:25:57 pm »
TBH, I mostly use socks for hanging around campsites (Sealskinz are nice and warm, midge-proof and mean you aren't bringing wet feet back into your sleeping bag after a call of nature).

I do prefer normal shoes for day rides in cooler conditions.  The circulation in my feet isn't brilliant, particularly when laying down on the job.  Also for off-roading, because nettles etc and the risk of minor but disproportionately painful toe injuries.

The only times I've used socks with them is in temperatures more than about 30 degrees in France and Italy - to prevent my sweaty feet sliding about and chafing on the straps.

Noted for future reference.  I got chafing from one of the straps on the Wowbagger's Folly tour (only time so far), fortunately cured by a change of pace and tactical application of minty arse lard, but it hadn't occurred to me to try socks.   :facepalm:

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
...My favourite is the Lake although I think they are no longer made. The last Lakes I got was from a seller at Mildenhall Rally, he had a large stock.

I also bought some Lake ones from Mildenhall, and used them a huge ammount. They wore out last year but I managed to get another 'virtually new' pair from someone who bought them but didn't like them once they tried them on.

The Lake ones used Shimano soles, and I have found the soles are so big they rub the crank excessively on some bikes - I do have size 48's though...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:14:48 pm »
I found the texture of the Exustar ones unpleasant. 
I'd forgotten about the bumpy insole. They felt odd to start with but I don't notice them now.

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
I still like my Exustars and hope they will last another year or so.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
I have a pair of the Exustar and the Shimano sandals. I can't use either without socks comfortably LOL. It's just how I am.
Useful for cycle touring where you don't have time to dry shoes overnight.

I've never picked these for long rides where I have wanted decent speed, because they don't offer a solid sole for power transfer. Unfortunately I am faster in carbon-soled shoes  :(

« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2017, 08:27:28 am »
Been very happy in two pairs of Exustar sandals - the first bought (rebadged) from some German outfit and worn until *utterly* trashed (about 10 reasonable but not hugely high mileage years), and the second - obviously not the current model - bought shortly before I started audaxing, and used on 4 1200km+ rides plus quite a few others.

They're comfy, and I've never had a hint of foot discomfort, with or without socks (normally without), at least in terms of hot foot, strap chafing or similar - the soles were a little roughly textured at first.

I would prefer them a touch smaller (mine have a 43/44 sole, while my feet are probably 42.75), but I don't have any complaints about sole stiffness. (Mind you, while I'd love to try a carbon soled pair, I'm probably too slow to notice any advantage.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2017, 09:00:45 am »
Watch it with Shimano double-step sizing. Their 43-44 is a 44, and if you've got size 43 feet they'll slide around and chafe no matter how much you tighten the straps. Well, mine did.

My pair were also heavier and wider than any of my proper shoes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
I used to use Shimano sandals for my commuting, when I did lots of miles year-round.
Much of the time I did use socks, to avoid 'stinky sandals'. V. difficult to avoid otherwise, if you are riding much of the day and can't dry the neoprene bit of the sandal out.

The sandals are wonderful. I'd still be using them if I hadn't let the cleat bolts rust up in the plate.

Winter time, just slacken off the straps, wear some thick socks and put on overshoes. Summer, thin socks or no socks, no overshoes. Rain - let the water wash through. No soaking heavy feet. No numb feet from pressure. Part way through a ride and feet are swollen? reach down and slacken off a strap for a bit. Reverse when hitting the hills.

Charlotte wrote about doing the Race against time (Lejog with 150 miles a day, supported in a group), with most people on road bikes and road shoes. They stopped making jokes about her sandals after a few days when their feet were hurting and hers were still absolutely fine.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »
Much of the time I did use socks, to avoid 'stinky sandals'. V. difficult to avoid otherwise, if you are riding much of the day and can't dry the neoprene bit of the sandal out.

I don't think there's any way to completely avoid this.  As soon as they get wet, they stink.  Murphy's Law dictates the effect is most pronounced when it rains 5 minutes before boarding a train after a few days of touring in delightful weather.

On the other hand, if they get mud (or worse) on them, you can just hose them down.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:07:31 pm »
I've only ever had one pair of sandals I could wear sockless without getting blisters.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:12:16 pm »

I don't think there's any way to completely avoid this.  As soon as they get wet, they stink.  Murphy's Law dictates the effect is most pronounced when it rains 5 minutes before boarding a train after a few days of touring in delightful weather.

On the other hand, if they get mud (or worse) on them, you can just hose them down.
I used to wash mine (immerse in a bucket of water) with a mild solution of bleach. Very mild.
No bacteria. No stink.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
I used to wash mine (immerse in a bucket of water) with a mild solution of bleach. Very mild.
No bacteria. No stink.

Tried that, as it's a method that works well on mitts.  Stink had added bleach odour for a day or two, then back to normal.  I reckon once the stink's in the material it's not coming out.  Maybe if you did that every time you used them from new, but a week of touring would ruin it.

« Reply #22 on: 18 May, 2017, 04:34:47 pm »
I agree about the week of touring. I also tried putting neat Tea Tree oil on the neoprene; not sure if it stopped bacteria, as all I could smell was Tea Tree oil!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 20 May, 2017, 02:12:13 pm »
Watch it with Shimano double-step sizing. Their 43-44 is a 44, and if you've got size 43 feet they'll slide around and chafe no matter how much you tighten the straps. Well, mine did.

My pair were also heavier and wider than any of my proper shoes.

+1 for the weight and the width. As sizing goes I'm a Shimano 46 so no problems. The big disadvantage with the width (and length) at least at my end of the scale is finding overshoes that will go over. I don't notice the weight once my feet are moving (sort of flywheel effect).

The width means that they do touch chainstays very easily - Q factor suddenly becomes something you notice. The other thing with the width is that unclipping towards the centre is not advised - which poses problems for my left foot where arthritis in the ankle makes unclipping to the outside very difficult, if not totally impractical in most situations. (I always unclip right foot first and the left only when stationary - but it is still a painful experience. This is still better than putting my sandal into the wheel, which wears the stitching out.)

« Reply #24 on: 20 May, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »
finding overshoes that will go over

I haven't solved this problem. Used to have a pair of overshoes which were ok because they had openable (velcro) fastenings under the sole - they went on easily if you first put them on up your calf, then put the shoe on, then lowered the overshoe over the shoe. Under-sole openings seem hard to find now.