Author Topic: Spurious black line on my etrex 30x screen - repair options?  (Read 1947 times)

My etrex 30x display now has a black line across, always there even when the power is off. The unit is still useful but if it is as I suspect a screen failure, it may well get worse. Any comments on that and any experience of getting repairs done after warranty. This is a 2017 refurbished unit from Garmin sent when my 2016 unit let in water. I'm not attracted to replacing with a new 32x as this doesn't offer any significant advantage except for the refreshed warranty.

Re: Spurious black line on my etrex 30x screen - repair options?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2021, 09:29:28 am »
The line on the screen was building into an urban skyline silhouette so I went for a Garmin refurb. unit at £93.91  + £3.85 to post my old one. The repair quote from a phone and satnav repair place was £68 including return carriage. The Garmin replacement etrex has all new exterior wearing parts, screen glass, rubber buffer and mounting foot so I'm happy the Garmin job was worth the £25 difference especially as the exchange unit was sent next day delivery as soon as my old one arrived, so under two days without an etrex.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Spurious black line on my etrex 30x screen - repair options?
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2021, 11:11:36 pm »
Good deal you got there. I've heard that Garmin had jacked up their refurb prices, but that sounds very reasonable. I bought two refurb Edge 705s, but those were a few years back.