Author Topic: Removing Hammerite from aluminium  (Read 1046 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Removing Hammerite from aluminium
« on: 20 October, 2021, 06:57:56 pm »
Some heathen has painted the rare alloy mudguards of this Moulton Speed with silver Hammerite.  What's the best way to get it off so I can polish and lacquer them?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Removing Hammerite from aluminium
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2021, 07:13:52 pm »
Some heathen has painted the rare alloy mudguards of this Moulton Speed with silver Hammerite.  What's the best way to get it off so I can polish and lacquer them?
I've used Nitromors in the past. But these days it apparently lacks the active ingredient.

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2021, 11:09:13 am »
If your mudguards are not dimpled this is way to remove paint . Watch the paint removal on the wood. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czAes2SDufw

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2021, 12:42:22 pm »
Hmmm.  These are about as thick as s baking tray!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2021, 12:43:01 pm »
Paramose Industrial Paint Stripper works so I'm told . . .  but sale is restricted to "trade/professionals"

I've also heard that a liberal dose of the oven cleaner that you enclose in a bag and leave to work does the job (that was on some car parts)...

I'd be inclined to ask a blasting company first - perhaps with a softer grit and lower air pressure?

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2021, 02:12:28 pm »
Oven cleaner on aluminium  :hand:

Think of dissolving out a seatpost.

I think the car alloy wheel refurbishers use strong acid, but it's not a home option.  Will try generic paint remover first.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2021, 07:56:16 pm »
Update: turns out the painter didn't use the special metals primer, so one treatment with Wilko paint stripper took it off.  I have no idea why they were painted, as they don't rust and could hardly look worse than thick brushed Hammerite with paint runs.  A few small dings to push out, but they'll look good.

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2021, 09:58:01 pm »
Update: turns out the painter didn't use the special metals primer, so one treatment with Wilko paint stripper took it off.  I have no idea why they were painted, as they don't rust and could hardly look worse than thick brushed Hammerite with paint runs.  A few small dings to push out, but they'll look good.

As an aside if all else conventional failed I would have been tempted to try brake fluid. Don't know if it works on hammerite but it will lift most other paint!