Linked Events

• The Aberystwyth Aberration: 26 June, 2015 - 29 June, 2015

Author Topic: The Aberystwyth Aberration, or Wowbagger's Folly  (Read 7304 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The Aberystwyth Aberration, or Wowbagger's Folly
« Reply #75 on: 29 June, 2015, 04:25:33 pm »
Itym "Where the people are hot and thick"

Driving standards are appalling today.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 29 June, 2015, 06:01:08 pm »
We missed our connection at Shrewsbury, which always seemed likely with only 7 minutes between trains. We were held up at Machynlleth waiting for the back end of our pantomime train to arrive from Pwllheli. We stayed on the first train to Bint where we transferred our reservation to the 5.20. Allegedly this arrives at Euston at 6.30.

The view from the train at the moment is 100% Milton Keynes.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 29 June, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »
Ah, I got all the train karma.  It turned out that the reason my train terminated at Shrewsbury was that it got coupled to another train that continued to Brum.  As such, I simply had to remain in my seat.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #78 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
It actually worked pretty well, apart from the fact that it took me 8 minutes to find anyone to ask what to do about the reservations for the wrong train. He directed me up the stairs to the ticket office and we were booked onto the 5.20. If I had known what to do we could have caught the 5pm.

I found a much quieter route across London than I had previously used, which will be great for future trips to Kings Cross & Euston. We are home now and ordered our curry on-line from the train. It is due to arrive any moment.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #79 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:02:31 pm »
Day One - In which I got to slap Kim's arse and she thanked me for it.

Mrs. Wow and I left home around 8.45, caught a train, arrived at Lpoo St at about 9.55 and then cycled to Euston in plenty of time for our 11.03 train. From Mordor Central we caught another train to Smethwick Gallstones Bridge (Lower level), used the undersized lift to take us to Smethwick Gallstones Bridge (Upper level) and then found ourselves on a train to Stourbridge Junction via Rowley Regis, evidently named after King Oscar's Dad. I let him know that we had been there.

A few minutes after we arrived, so did Kim. We then pottered off in a westerly direction and immediately found Hills. Kim pointed out that we were "going against the grain" and that riding north-south in that area was much easier than riding east-west. We found a lovely little village called Kinver where a churchwarden invited us in to drink water, but Kim sensibly pointed out that we had our own water and that if we didn't drink it we would have to carry it up hills.

After some while we arrived at the Severn Valley Country Park where there was cake and drinks of your choice. Mrs. Wow and I chose brown, Kim chose orange. Soon we crossed the Severn and followed NCN45, which was decidedly undulating, and at one point there was a very steep descent followed by a hairpin left-hander and one of those annoying Sustrans gates which don't allow bicycles through without a certain amount of faffage. At least we didn't have to take all the luggage off and lift the bike over. We passed the Unicorn pub, where we originally intended to camp, and continued along NCN45, which by now had become totally unrideable, being rocky single-track at about 1 in 4. I know very few cyclists who would be capable of cycling on that.

It was during this stretch, near Chelmarsh Reservoir, that both Jan and Kim were attacked by horseflies. Jan received a nasty bite on the wrist and Kim on the calf. It was when a second of these was bothering her that it settled on her right buttock and, since they are quite capable of chomping through lycra, I dispatched it. They are really surprisingly feeble insects, having none of the common housefly's lightning reactions, and just falling limply to the ground with their legs wriggling. I suppose they have evolved that way because horses have yet to evolve into slappers.

Not long after the Chelmarsh Slapping Incident we arrived at the camp site, to be greeted by David, our host for the night. It started to rain, but that didn't last long, and we had a table booked for the Swan Inn at Knowle Sands. The food wasn't bad at all, but I made the mistake of ordering the mixed grill and that was served with nothing much in the way of vegetables. Jan and Kim each ate something involving chicken. I had a shower in a shed with a wooden floor and turned in around midnight. Given Mrs. Wow's propensity to wake up ant unsocial hours suffering from cramp, this was not early enough, as there were several moments throughout the night when I would rather not have been awake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »
So yeah, 'Wowbagger's Folly' indeed.  Day 2 started off with a mission to Bridgnorth in search of an optiquack for emergency fettling of Wowbagger's glasses, which seem not to be rated for hills or something.  On the basis of time lost doing that, and on account of the previous day's average speed, I proposed we deviated from the original route and take the much flatter B4368 from Morville to Craven Arms.  With hindsight this was an excellent plan, especially in light of the fact that it took us slightly over 4 hours to cover 29km(!).  I think it came down to Wow not being rated for fully-loaded climbs (though he keeps plodding admirably well) and Jan not being rated for atrocious headwind or much in the way of breathing.  Much use was made of the 24" gear, and there were a tremendous amount of stoppages.

By the time we got to Craven Arms, I was beginning to suffer from Knees, and opted to perform a Larrington Manoeuvre to Bishop's Castle via the B4368/B4385 at my own pace (and therefore preferred cadence), rather than the glacial attempt on the up-and-over route that we had planned.  This got me to Bishop's Castle in reasonable time, and after taking on ballast at Spar, I winched my way up to the highly defensible Foxholes campsite, which as luck would have it was hosting a Vango Tempest 200 owners' convention.

Sensing my general weariness, and on being informed that the rest of my group were at least an hour behind, the owner suggested that we pitch at the bottom of the 'Yurt Field', which was notable for its absence of yurts, as well as the lack of DoE expeditions.

The Wows turned up some time later, after I'd pitched, showered, walked the site to perform a rudimentary GSM survey and started cooking.  This was around the time that I discovered that one of the multiple horsefly bites sustained the previous day had gone distinctly nasty.  More of that later.

Sunday began with a generous helping of annoying rain, so I packed up what I could without leaving the tent, and withdrew to the campers' lounge place thingy to nibble some breakfast, via the facilities.  After about half an hour the rain had subsided, the DoE kids who'd had roughly the same idea that I'd been chatting to had noticed their teacher's tent was down and got their kit organised, and the Wows were mostly packed.

The plan was simple:  Kerry Ridgeway to Newtown, or "Down the hill, turn right, keep climbing until you die."  That's more or less what we did, albeit extremely slowly.  I'm also assured that hill reps count double when you do them on somebody else's bike.  After a long while we more or less ran out of up, and the comedy off-roading began:  Reasonable hardpacked grit interspersed with lumps of slippery slate for the most part, not helped by an extremely moist (ie. we were riding through the cloud) crosswind.  Deano wasn't present to tell us it was downhill all the way to Newtown, when we re-joined the tarmac roads, but the principle was the same.  Around the same time the cloud dissipated, it warmed up and the view appeared...

After some rather good descending, we arrived in Kerry, where I discovered that great novelty only usually found in tourist areas: a clean, open public toilet with plentiful supplies of bog roll.  After making use of that the idea of abandoning the rest of the day's ride, perhaps by means of a taxi, was discussed.  In light of what was to come, that seemed eminently sensible.  I pressed on to Newtown and ate some food at the roadside while the Wows caught up; if I wanted to complete the day's route on my own in a reasonable time I'd have to resort to audax low-faff tactics.

On that basis I handed over the items we'd earlier transferred from Jan's bike to mine, and set a course for Llanidloes.  An uneventful ~25km of Bastard Headwind later, I reached the Spar and stocked up on Frijj and biscuits (but didn't collect a receipt).  Unfortunately this was a tactical error, as by the time I reached the next control  at Llangurig I was way out of time[1].  It would have to be emergency Supernoodles and semi-molten chocolate for tea.  I was also having trouble with one of my horsefly bites, which had developed a spectacular welt directly under the seam of my shorts.

After Llangurig, the route rapidly takes a turn for the gravitational.  Photos never do this sort of thing justice, but:

I was just able to winch myself up it, with several gratuitous lung breaks.  Fortunately I didn't meet any motor vehicles coming the other way.

After the first 100m of climbing the road evens out, and becomes a long, steady climb up through the forest (and recently removed forest).  I enjoyed this part immensely - it started to feel really remote, the dense pine trees gave shelter from the wind and the warm, humid evening air with a notable reduction of allergen content was ideal for cycling.  Eventually I reached the top:

(Looking back towards Llangurig)

Rounding the bend, the cellular signal abruptly vanished and the view ahead became even more spectacular:

This is evidently where they hide wind turbines so the NIMBYs don't complain about them.  What I didn't appreciate at this point was that the road rising out of the valley in the distance was the continuation of the track.  But first some serious brake-cooking descending - no chance of letting it go with the kamikaze sheep and strong crosswind.  A very short time later I was down in the valley...

...and confronted with this:

What the photo doesn't show is the surface.  It's what you get if you take a perfectly good single-track tarmac road, run occasional heavy farm traffic along it for years, and do nothing in the way of maintenance beyond filling the potholes with ballast as they appear.  The end result being a loose ballast-and-slate path, with a narrow ridge of mostly intact tarmac down the middle.  Combine that with gradients that would merit multiple chevrons if only the road qualified, and it was more than a bit tricky.  It was tricky on the way down, too - not helped by the sunbathing sheep, and occasional large gap in the tarmac strip.

The bottom of the path was, thankfully, just round the corner from the Tyllwyd campsite, where I was made welcome and under-charged because "you're just on a bike".  I thanked the proprietor, complimented them on their spectacular hill and went to do battle with the midges, who were drawn magnetically to my soggy tent.  I showered, changed into clean body-covering clothes and deployed the 100% DEET.  Combined with the fumes from the trangia this kept the bite rate down to an acceptable level for about 5 minutes, by which point I'd had enough and holed up in the tent with a book and a tube of hydrocortisone cream until nightfall.

A couple of hours later, as I reached that point of falling asleep where you're still barely conscious but have no control of your body, a previously noted large sheep - channelling the spirit of Brillo The Ram - sneaked up on the other side of the fence next to my tent and without warning emitted the deepest most bellowing "BAAA!" I've ever experienced.  This naturally resulted in a spectacular whole-body spasm, of the kind that means you're wide awake for the next 20 minutes.  Which is about how long it took for the sheep to follow my strongly worded advice and wader off.

I don't have any pictures of the campsite, because I was being eaten by beasties.  Suffice to say that it's a lovely riverside site, with decent facilities, in the land that GSM forgot.  Best visited at the end of April, or something.

This morning, fortified by the remaining half a packet of biscuits and a large dose of Piriton, I set off for Aberystwyth, via the planned B-road route.  Unsurprisingly, this involved a few short nasty ups, but the net elevation loss was notable, and I made reasonable time.  My phone made contact with the outside world on the final descent towards Aberystwyth, and received an SMS from Wowbagger, asking how I was doing and saying that they were at the harbour.  I found my way to the harbour and there they were.

Lunch was had on the sea front (I was, by this point, craving sausages), and we set off for the station in good time for my train.  The Wows were on a later train, as bike spaces are limited.  The journey back to Birmingham was uneventful, other than the steady decrease in air quality.

[1] Ie. The only shop was closed on account of it being a Sunday :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:34:12 pm »
Day Two - In which I visit an optician again and we almost miss lunch.

The lens fell out of my glasses this morning - the first time it has done that since I was descending into Hay on Wye almost two years ago. Although I had a spare pair with me in case of such an eventuality, they are a prescription or two out of date and I really needed to get these repaired. Given that it was Saturday and that Bishops Castle, which is smaller than Bridgnorth, was likely to be closed when we arrived, it seemed politic to get it fixed. This extra faffage delayed us by at least an hour, so it was after 11 when we finally got under way.

At Kim's suggestion we took B roads rather than the original plan of minor roads, and I am sure that this was the flatter option. However, we still had one climb up towards Weston that seemed to go on for ever and it was impossible to shift our moving average about 6mph. When we did have descents, we were forced to pedal down them because the againsterly was strong. I phoned the pub at Aston Munslow to find that they stopped serving food at 2 pm. They were 7.2 miles away and we had only an hour in which to get there. Kim went ahead and, after some confusion involving another pub that I hadn't spotted on the OS map, we hada good lunch at the Swan. However, I was extremely tired after the tough morning that I fell asleep for a while before setting off. Kim was having knee trouble as a result of slower climbing than she really wanted, so she continued into Craven Arms and waited there for us, pointing out the cash machine that I had foolishly forgotten to visit in Bridgnorth. Again, she went ahead and we pottered on after, again sticking to the B road in a Larrington Manoeuvre, before loading up with food at the Spa shop and dropping into the 3 Tuns for a couple of bottles of something rather good. Jan and I started to pitch the tent and once it was up I left Jan to finish pegging it out and got on with making a cup of tea followed by pasta with Bol sauce.

A word about the Terra Nova Space 2. It's an elegant tent but much too faffy to pitch. Fortunately on the two occasions that we pitched it we were sheltered from any wind, which I think would make it even more difficult. I like the robustness of the Hilleberg Nallo-style tunnel tents and it's only because of Jan's preference for a tent she can stand up in when in need of a rapid exodus at bladder o'clock that we bought it. I can't see me using it as a solo tent. Even though it's marginally lighter than the Nallo, I reckon it would be a bugger to pitch on your own. I fully understand why Terra Nova have discontinued it: clever though it is, it compromises too many of the things that make good tents good tents.

I showered and retired, to be awoken by the sound of rain on ripstop. We slept fitfully thereafter and rose at 7. How we managed not to leave until 9.45 is a mystery.

« Reply #82 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:35:43 pm »
Did I hear my name being taken in vain?

Excellent stuff, everyone - I do love your ride reports, Kim :) Lovely photos, too. I've hardly ridden in Wales, and you're making me want to.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #83 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:49:06 pm »
Day 3 - In which my Folly is revealed to all

I have never been ambitious in the sense that I wanted more pay or more power. Indeed, throughout what has passed for my "career" has been a sequence of moves intended to avoid unnecessary toil and to survive. However, when it comes to goals to be achieved, I think I get quite motivated.

So it was with this ride. I knew there would be an awful lot of Up. We were, after all, riding from one of England's hillier counties (Shropshire) into Wales which, as everyone knows, would be bigger than England if someone ironed it. I hadn't realised quite how slow even we could be.

The ascent of the Ceri Ridgeway was in effect a sort of relay race. Kim would lead the way and stop and wait for Jan and me. Jan would start off cycling faster than me, but then would collapse into a wheezing, coughing fit slumped over her bars. I would overtake her, lean my bike somewhere, walk back down the hill and then help Jan with her bike. After a while Kim got to doing the extra bit. At one point Jan was given a lift by a farmer in a 2-berth quad bike. She left her bike behind and he gave me a lift back down the hill and I cycled up again. After that the road levelled off for a while and we made better progress, but we were back to glacial speeds again as soon as there was any sort of gradient.

It was therefore hardly surprising that it took us until about 2.30 to cover the 18 miles between Bishop's Castle and Newtown. Jan and I were finished. We thought about a taxi to Cwmystwyth, but Jan said she had had enough, and so our ride finished with a visit to Tesco for some lunch and a train to Aberystwyth and a B & B on the sea front. We had a meal at Harry's Bar, which was a bit rubbish. The only ale on was off - Doom Bar - so I purchased a bottle of Chilean Merlot to go with my not-pie (the sort that has a puff pastry lid that turns to powder) and that was OK. We had an occasional text message from Kim, who had clearly succeeded in conquering Wowbagger's Folly and is therefore Forummer of the Month.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 29 June, 2015, 11:20:49 pm »
I think the main rule for harmonious loaded Welsh touring is to only have one huge climb per day, and preferably get it over with in the first half of the ride.  Also, in the absence of supporting evidence, not to trust a contour map that suggests that a road running along a valley is flat - those little undulations sap your momentum and the effect adds up.  Sustrans routes are generally much better than the English ones, though for many a mountain bike remains the best tool for the job.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #85 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:27:22 am »
I have had another look at the Google Earth view of our first camp site here https://goo.gl/maps/nSHmE.

That image must be old, because the lavatory shed isn't there, and there is quite a mature hedge completely missing. Our tents were pitched very close to the northern arm of the lake and the hedge ran between us and the small roadway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 30 June, 2015, 09:01:06 pm »
Perhaps the camping is a recent venture?