Author Topic: Affinity Photo by Serif?  (Read 2008 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Affinity Photo by Serif?
« on: 12 August, 2018, 05:01:30 pm »
Having only ever used Adobe Photoshop - and still on CS5 (up until now happily) - it's crashing everytime I quit it (CMD-Q) on me recent new iMac High Sierra, prompting an annoying dialogue window - so am looking for an alternative photo only application.

Having downloaded Affinity's free trial and consumed a lot of its British* accented video tutorials, it appears bonzer?

Any users on here? And any comments would be most grateful.

* apologies to any over the ponders and anywhere elsers of this wonderful world - I really do love you all from wherever you are - but instructional videos sink in a lot easier if they are presented with a familiar native twang (although the Serif chap on the videos has a weird way of pronouncing non - as in non destructional adjustments/layers etc)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Affinity Photo by Serif?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2018, 09:28:33 pm »
I’ve downloaded it and looked at it but I don’t currently use it. But that is because CS6 still works. When CS6 fails I shall dump Photoshop. I use it for a bit of layer stuff, panoramas and clever cloning. If Affinity doesn’t do what I want I’ll find a replacement (e.g. for panoramas)

My biggest pain at the moment is that Apple Aperture, which was way ahead of its time, was cruelly and for no visible reason, dropped. I haven’t yet found a replacement.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Affinity Photo by Serif?
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:44:49 am »
I've played with the demo version and found it easier to use than PS, but until there's a legit alternative to Lightroom (like Aperture, for eg..) then I'm stuck in Adobeland.  Lightroom does enough editing for 99% of what I need, and with the brilliant way it manages large folders of pics it's very difficult to argue against.