Linked Events

• Mildenhall non-rally: 24 August, 2019 - 25 August, 2019

Author Topic: Mildenhall Cycling Festival 2019  (Read 6599 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Mildenhall Cycling Festival 2019
« on: 09 March, 2019, 08:41:39 pm »
I was doing a bit of calendar-wrangling, and noticed we didn't have a thread yet, so here's a placeholder.

http://www.mildenhallfestival.bike/

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Mildenhall Cycling Festival 2019
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2019, 09:04:40 pm »
As expected, we plan to be there ;D
I have holiday booked around my shifted 3 days off  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2019, 07:35:21 am »
As will apollo and me   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2019, 02:00:02 pm »
We're bound to be there.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »
I really hope to be there but it will depend on Pauline's health, as will everything else this year. At the moment she is still undergoing chemo and we won't have a prognosis until late May.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:09:02 pm »
Best wishes for that Alan.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:12:22 pm »
Last year was a bit of a wash out, not sure about this year as yet. Of course true to form, I missed the year when the sun was cracking the bloody paving stones.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:36:10 pm »
I haven't done Mildenhall for quite a while. Will keep options open for the moment. My dear wife doesn't like small tents, so I suppose we could bring a big one...

Edit: my dear wife doesn't really like any tents, but I think she might be prepared to tolerate one she can stand up in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:45:14 pm »
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:26:36 pm »
I haven't done Mildenhall for quite a while. Will keep options open for the moment. My dear wife doesn't like small tents, so I suppose we could bring a big one...

Edit: my dear wife doesn't really like any tents, but I think she might be prepared to tolerate one she can stand up in.

TBH, now they've sorted the stubble out, there's a strong argument for a big tent in the motor field over being crammed into the not-exactly-generous lightweight area on the new site.

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:54:24 pm »
Is This Like the york rally , But it has more chance of being sunny & the showers work .
Its More Fun With Three .

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:07:13 pm »
Is This Like the york rally , But it has more chance of being sunny & the showers work .

It's a lot like the York rally, only harder to get to.  Traditionally there's a downpour at some point over the weekend, instead of incessant wind, but the weather's usually decent enough.  Showers are excellent since they moved to the new site (trailers like the ones at York, but with a working water supply), with none of the charm of the previous site's communal showers designed for 12 year olds.

« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:24:08 pm »
Sounds very Canny . Its only about 400 k from me !!! . But i could nab lots of BCQ Places of interest on the way there and back . & Suffolk looks flat compared to Geordieshire  spot on for a holiday .
Its More Fun With Three .

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:31:07 pm »

It's a lot like the York rally, only harder to get to.  Traditionally there's a downpour at some point over the weekend, instead of incessant wind, but the weather's usually decent enough.  Showers are excellent since they moved to the new site (trailers like the ones at York, but with a working water supply), with none of the charm of the previous site's communal showers designed for 12 year olds.

Bloody easy to get to, gave me a nice round 160km for the Audax plus riding to and for.  I don't remember rain on audax day last year.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:55:38 pm »
Uhoh:

Mildenhall Cycling Club have announced a major change to their annual cycling event. Their three-day Mildenhall Cycling Festival will be much smaller this year with a small selection of events taking place on the Saturday & Sunday of the August Bank-Holiday weekend.

Chairman of the organisers, Mark Burchett explains “Ultimately we have been the victims of our own success. Over the thirty years of the event the majority of the organising committee has remained largely unchanged and with none of us getting any younger, there are not any willing volunteers to take over. We have therefore had to take the very hard decision to make this radical change.”

Reflecting this change, the event will be known as the Mildenhall Mini-Cycling Fest and still located in nearby West Row with its wonderful facilities set in a peaceful and tranquil rural setting around the Village Hall, where refreshments will be provided from over the two-days.  It is just under three miles from Mildenhall which can be reached very safely by cycle using the tarmacked Wamil Way bridleway.

Headlining the two-days of grass-track racing will be Sunday’s Ladies National 800m Championship. It is expected that the meeting will still attract the country’s top riders given Mildenhall’s reputation for grass-track racing as well as staging rounds of the National Endurance and Sprint Leagues. Juvenile racing will be on the Saturday.

For the touring cyclist, C.T.C. (Cyclists Touring Club) Suffolk will be offering 57, 100, 160, 200 & 300km timed-touring rides on the Saturday, under the auspices of the Audax organisation.

After last year’s successful trialling, the organisers will promote the ‘Come and Try It On/Off Road Time Trial’. This will allow competitors on the Saturday morning to pit their wits against the clock over a mixed 23km course of byways, tarmac and Fenland Droves!

This is a unique type of course that only the Fens can offer. Despite this, every single rider that competed in last year’s test event, for time-trialling’s governing body in the UK Cycling Time-Trials (CTT), thoroughly enjoyed it.

On Saturday afternoon & evening there will be a Cycle Jumble held in the Village Hall.

Although camping on site will unfortunately no longer be available, West Row has three campsites and the organisers are very much encouraging regular visitors to previous events to still come and spend the weekend in Suffolk cycling and at the Mini-Fest.

“It has been testament to the hard work and professionalism of the committed organising committee that an individual cycling club was ever able to promote an event of that magnitude which has become synonymous with cycling.” added Mr Burchett.

The Festival and its predecessor the Cycling Rally, have always attracted many up and coming names from the world of cycling including the Mildenhall Club’s very own Golden Member Victoria Pendleton CBE and more recently Laura Kenny CBE, both of whom went on to become Olympic and World Champions!

Other well-known cyclists to have ridden at Mildenhall before going onto international fame include welsh starlet Nicole Cooke MBE, Ben Swift, Jason Kenny OBE and Steve Burke MBE.

Further details of the Mini-Fest will be available at www.mildenhallfestival.bike

END.

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2019, 07:00:57 am »
From discussions with organisers last year, I was expecting some changes but this does spell an end to the rally as we have come to know.
Press release above has an embargo.
Home

« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2019, 11:14:35 am »
Organiser Email received this morning confirming the changes and no camping at the rally site.

« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2019, 12:13:18 pm »
Organiser Email received this morning confirming the changes and no camping at the rally site.

:'(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:36:26 pm »
Maybe we can have a yacf camping weekend instead somewhere?  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
Maybe we can have a yacf camping weekend instead somewhere?  :)
Could even be in Suffolk... (or is it Cambridgeshire?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
Woah, this is a new thing:

After last year’s successful trialling, the organisers will promote the ‘Come and Try It On/Off Road Time Trial’. This will allow competitors on the Saturday morning to pit their wits against the clock over a mixed 23km course of byways, tarmac and Fenland Droves!

This is a unique type of course that only the Fens can offer. Despite this, every single rider that competed in last year’s test event, for time-trialling’s governing body in the UK Cycling Time-Trials (CTT), thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyone know how it panned out? Mud? Cobbles? Helmets??

(I can't even find the results on the CTT site - which isn't surprising, even if they *are* on there!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 25 March, 2019, 06:47:47 pm »
https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/campsites-in-suffolk/woodbridge/shottisham-campsite

I like the look of that.

Woodbridge station isn't far away (bear in mind these are the same trains that serve Darsham, so quite small) and Ipswich is easy cycling distance.

There are some pretty decent looking off road tracks for walks and bike rides.

Sea swimming at Shingle Street, not far away.

Campfires allowed in hired fire pits.

If, as the website suggests, the camps site is divided into smaller fields, we might be able to have one entire bit to ourselves.

Do we have a seconder? ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:30:30 am »
If you organise, we'll arrive.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:08:39 am »
Looks good   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #24 on: 05 April, 2019, 11:39:20 pm »
OK, I shall put my mind to this over the coming week.