Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 103215 times)

Re: The Dean
« Reply #500 on: 08 March, 2023, 06:35:41 pm »
Too chilly for me to be outdoors for 16hrs i'm afraid. Good luck to the Audacious randonneurs who give it a go.

Ummmm.....give me 18hrs and I feel the same! Although I might say I haven't made a decision this far out......I think I have.

I don't mind a bit of torrential [done a few of them in the past], but not prolonged cold - those temperatures Friday night give me chills a bit. Having come a cropper a few times on ice I tend to pull the hatches up now pretty damn quickly.
Shame.....The Dean's a terrific ride, and hopefully I'll be back for another encounter before age [or attitude] pulls me away permanently!
Garry Broad

« Reply #501 on: 08 March, 2023, 06:39:20 pm »
I'm entered for the Bristol 300, but if it's like this I'll opt out. 13-15 hours of chill. Nope.

« Reply #502 on: 09 March, 2023, 08:55:56 am »
I was 90% decided I wasn't riding in icy conditions then luckily tested positive for covid this morning.  ::-)

Heart of England 300 in April is the backup, a much better time of year for my nesh self to do longer rides.

« Reply #503 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:31:27 am »
I reckon some will still start.  But will they all finish?

« Reply #504 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:45:07 am »
The forecast is still saying -3C for Friday night. Stow-on-the-Wold and Winchcombe are also forecast more snow tomorrow morning.

Therefore, it's an unambiguous decision to withdraw - I have zero tolerance for ice. It's a shame, as the route is great and I was looking forward to the large field!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #505 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:58:05 am »
still intending to start, but I will take a view based on conditions driving to the start.

reckon anyone who makes it to Newent will finish as it will get easier after that.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #506 on: 09 March, 2023, 10:20:20 am »
I am thinking starting might not be wise given the current conditions and cold temperatures, much rather live to fight another Day.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #507 on: 09 March, 2023, 10:42:47 am »
I am thinking starting might not be wise given the current conditions and cold temperatures, much rather live to fight another Day.
wise

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #508 on: 09 March, 2023, 01:08:26 pm »

reckon anyone who makes it to Newent will finish as it will get easier after that.
Yes. Looks very dodgy at the moment, roads are soaked here (nr Oxford) and unlikely to dry by Sat.

If I absolutely HAD to ride this, I'd take A-roads to Stow, then the main road to Tewkesbury and the safety of the flatlands.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #509 on: 09 March, 2023, 02:09:57 pm »
Agree with Matt about main roads options. I will go to the start and see. If I start then main road to Stow and take a view from there. And yes consider main road to Tewksbury.

There is also the option of collecting the card at 6 and not starting until 8 or getting to Stow and drinking coffee for an hour or two if I think it might improve as the sun comes up. Last time I did this I had a couple of hours in hand at the end so might think when this could help me.

« Reply #510 on: 09 March, 2023, 02:15:49 pm »
I was 90% decided I wasn't riding in icy conditions then luckily tested positive for covid this morning.  ::-)

Heart of England 300 in April is the backup, a much better time of year for my nesh self to do longer rides.

Hope yow feel better soon

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #511 on: 09 March, 2023, 07:57:52 pm »
Agree with Matt about main roads options. I will go to the start and see. If I start then main road to Stow and take a view from there. And yes consider main road to Tewksbury.

There is also the option of collecting the card at 6 and not starting until 8 or getting to Stow and drinking coffee for an hour or two if I think it might improve as the sun comes up. Last time I did this I had a couple of hours in hand at the end so might think when this could help me.
yes I was considering the late start, Stowe control is 45km, so the control close time will be 9am, don't think setting off at 8 is viable, but Newent control time is 12:40 by my reckoning, so maybe a 2 hour stop in Stow in somewhere warm would be perfect

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #512 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:56:48 pm »

Yes. Looks very dodgy at the moment, roads are soaked here (nr Oxford) and unlikely to dry by Sat.

If I absolutely HAD to ride this, I'd take A-roads to Stow, then the main road to Tewkesbury and the safety of the flatlands.

What would folks consider the best A road route to be?  A44 to chipping Norton and then A436?

« Reply #513 on: 10 March, 2023, 06:32:00 am »
Forcast has not improved, still freezing conditions till 9/10 o'clock, currently a yellow weather warning in place this morning for the area

« Reply #514 on: 10 March, 2023, 06:50:01 am »
Well, I've just pulled out of Bristol 300. Don't fancy a -2⁰ start, and 190 miles with the temp maxxing at 4⁰. Plus, I'm fending off a cold.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #515 on: 10 March, 2023, 07:14:48 am »

What would folks consider the best A road route to be?  A44 to chipping Norton and then A436?
I was thinking A40 to Burford mainly due to familiarity; your way may be hillier, but I haven't honesty looked at it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #516 on: 10 March, 2023, 08:13:16 am »
I'm on the verge of pulling out, I already have a bad shoulder from a fall in December, don't fancy the matching pair.

If anyone can make use of a Travelodge room in peartree tonight at, let's say half price or less, please do PM me ...
Travelodge changed to be on route to Heart of England 300 instead :)

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #517 on: 10 March, 2023, 08:14:13 am »
A44 to Chipping Norton - I've done this early on a Sunday morning and it was quiet.

Then either A44 / A436 or take the B4450 to rejoin the route before Stow. But it all depends on conditions on the day - whether I start / turn back / continue whatever.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #518 on: 10 March, 2023, 08:25:35 am »
Forcast has not improved, still freezing conditions till 9/10 o'clock, currently a yellow weather warning in place this morning for the area

and those who survive the early icy roads can look forward to 5C and rain from Chepstow onwards
https://www.weatherbagel.com/f/44fa8e4e-0245-41ab-bba1-27a111ad53f7

such a shame because the forecast for Sunday is much better. hmmmm
https://www.weatherbagel.com/f/2a3cae4c-8fc4-4795-adec-a3a87345cd85

A44 to Chipping Norton - I've done this early on a Sunday morning and it was quiet.

Then either A44 / A436 or take the B4450 to rejoin the route before Stow. But it all depends on conditions on the day - whether I start / turn back / continue whatever.

surprisingly this is not further than the actual route

« Reply #519 on: 10 March, 2023, 10:57:48 am »
I'm going to give it a go.
But I'll be taking the A44, A436 route to Stow and then assessing the situation from there.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #520 on: 10 March, 2023, 11:48:45 am »
For anyone that doesn't fancy dinging it down A roads all the way to Stow, this is the map of Oxfordshire's gritted roads https://otapdev.exactrak.co.uk/whereismygritter/org/MilestoneOxfordshire/#ex-layers_

FWIW I'll probably take the A44/A4095 as far as Long Hanborough, then Stonesfield, Charlbury, Chippy, and B4450 to rejoin the route at Bledington. Gritted from there to Stow. Can't be arsed to pore over Gloucestershire's map so if it still looks sketchy past Stow I'll sit in a cafe for a couple of hours or just turn around.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #521 on: 10 March, 2023, 04:07:24 pm »
forecast at the met office now saying 0C overnight and at the start in Oxford a big shift from the -3C predicted this morning.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #522 on: 10 March, 2023, 04:14:00 pm »
For anyone that doesn't fancy dinging it down A roads all the way to Stow, this is the map of Oxfordshire's gritted roads https://otapdev.exactrak.co.uk/whereismygritter/org/MilestoneOxfordshire/#ex-layers_

FWIW I'll probably take the A44/A4095 as far as Long Hanborough, then Stonesfield, Charlbury, Chippy, and B4450 to rejoin the route at Bledington. Gritted from there to Stow. Can't be arsed to pore over Gloucestershire's map so if it still looks sketchy past Stow I'll sit in a cafe for a couple of hours or just turn around.

Good tip! I tried alternative but the A44 to Chippy works out shorter so have left it with that for now. I found the Gloucestershire gritted road map here

So far as I can tell now, this is the gritted-road route for the first 2 stages (Oxford - Stow - Newent)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42198461

inc a small detour to avoid Cleeve hill, and a few other detours after Bishops Cleeve, meaning it's 5km over distance by the second control (although actually 5km shorter in the first stage)

Full disclosure: I'm unlikely to ride, so just sharing here as a public (dis)service. Do your own research etc etc.

« Reply #523 on: 10 March, 2023, 05:20:47 pm »
So far as I can tell now, this is the gritted-road route for the first 2 stages (Oxford - Stow - Newent)

inc a small detour to avoid Cleeve hill, and a few other detours after Bishops Cleeve, meaning it's 5km over distance by the second control (although actually 5km shorter in the first stage)

Nice one, I might well make use of that! Cheers

« Reply #524 on: 10 March, 2023, 07:09:00 pm »

Good tip! I tried alternative but the A44 to Chippy works out shorter so have left it with that for now. I found the Gloucestershire gritted road map here

Full disclosure: I'm unlikely to ride, so just sharing here as a public (dis)service. Do your own research etc etc.

Thankyou for this; Much appreciated.