touring shoes and clips
3 (5.9%)
casual shoes and platform pedals
1 (2%)
none of the above
2 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: 06 July, 2015, 03:48:18 pm

Author Topic: Road or MTB shoes for PBP  (Read 9273 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Road or MTB shoes for PBP
« on: 26 June, 2015, 03:48:18 pm »
pbp is one of the events where i cannot decide which type of shoes will work better overall. there is lots of riding but quite a bit of walking as walking around controls. i rode in mtb shoes four years ago, now thinking of road shoes/pedals as i prefer the feel of them when riding and have done most qualifiers wearing them. another minor benefit of road shoe/pedal setup is that they are almost 400g lighter.

which ones are you riding?

Re: Road or MTB shoes for PBP
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
I have a pair of (lighter) road(ier) shoes which are stiffer than my sandals, but I nearly never wear them- it's all about hotfoot minimisation on summer events. Stiffer is better, but you can't paddle in them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »
I had considered SPD sandals for the ride.  But that is a big leap into the unknown and I wouldn't like to risk it without having done some good big rides in them already (I've only ever toured in them).

I'm on fixed, so MTB pedals/shoes are the only option.  I hope not to walk much - I remember some sharp little ramps in the Foret de Ramboulet, but not much else that might make a fixer think about walking (though anything is possible as the legs get tired!).

I'll carry a pair of sandals to wear in hotels, around sleeping controls etc. - and for the whole 'hanging around chatting time on Saturday/Sunday'.  I'm also in Paris for a couple of days afterwards, so will need something for the sight seeing etc.

I do ride in about the stiffest MTB shoe going (Bont Vaypor XC) - walking is possible, but not ever so comfy!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2015, 04:41:24 pm »
When I first got a "racing bike" (dates me, no?) and was advised to get clipless pedals/shoes I went for iron-stiff shoes and clunky cleats. I hated it. Couldn't walk properly. Risk of prat-falls on any slippy surface. But saved maybe three or four seconds on a 200km ride.

I saw the light and got Time ATAC pedals and some Shimano MTB-style shoes which allowed for recessed cleats and, lo, I could walk properly again.

Now, I have a Pashley Roadster with it's ultra-high-tech er... pedal ... system. Which means I ride in good old fashioned trainers. Or in a pair of brogues when I'm commuting to work.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

LMT

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »
I invested in some Sidi road shoes and they are like slippers.

Cleat covers to protect the Speedplay cleats.

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »
I've some second hand Spesh MTB shoes which are just perfick. Bought touring model of the same - bizarrely not as comfortable. Bought some Exustar sandals but seem to get hot foot in them even over short distances.  Might need to shift the cleat position, but shan't be risking them in France.

Andrew

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2015, 05:38:12 pm »
Not quite sure what you mean by touring shoe and cleats but that's what I think best describes what I used.

I used a Shimano shoe with recessed SPD cleats. They're not an MTB shoe nor a 'full on' roadie shoe. They're an RT51 I think. You can walk quite normally in them with no risk of arse over. Personally, I think you can spend enough time off the bike during PBP to warrant wearing something you can walk easily in.

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2015, 06:00:38 pm »
Don`t road race etc so have seen no reason for the Look / Time type cleats etc so have happily ridden in Spesh BG carbon soled MTB shoes for years now, good stiff shoes but also can walk easily in them, must have walked miles and miles on road / tracks over the years; 8 years old and still holding together  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2015, 08:08:59 pm »
This is an easy one.  SPD sandals are really comfy both on and off the bike.  No socks if hot, seal skin socks if wet, neoprene overshoes if cold.  All qualifiers except the icy cold Willy Warmer have been completed in them, as was LEL 2013, so it's tried and tested

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:56:59 pm »
Carbon soled MTB shoes.  I'll also have very lightweight  shoes, these http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/vapor-glove-2/17572M.html?dwvar_17572M_color=J03911#cgid=mens-footwear-shoes&start=1 for when I'm off the bike for a period and need to wander round.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2015, 08:26:18 pm »
i did a longish ride in mtb shoes (carbon soled s-works) today and definitely decided to ride pbp in road shoes, which are better ventilated and feel more stable with no float. i used to like floating cleats few years ago, but now that i found a perfect position i prefer cleats that stay put in the pedal.

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2015, 08:37:30 pm »
I was intending to use my racing shoes with Look cleats but I've changed my mind after having shin splints a couple of months ago.  They were most likely caused by walking around the controls on a 300 on big cleats. 

I'm now planning to go back to SPDs, and will most likely use the same shoes as I used last time.  I'll take touring pedals with a large platform to spread some of the load and the option to unclip and ride on the other side of the pedal, for changes of foot position and pressure point. 

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2015, 09:48:04 pm »
First PBP in '99 was on Shimano MTB shoes - by 800km, I could definitely 'feel' that postage stamped size cleat on the ball of my foot - VERY uncomfortable indeed!

In later years, I switched to Canac MTB shoes, which had a removable cleat-plate attachment that spread the load better (but at an increased stack height).

In 2004, I switched to road shoes and pedals (Sidi / Look)and have never (no pun intended) looked back!

You get a far increased contact area, and a lower stack height. Sure, on an event like PBP, you may well sacrifice a set of cleats walking at the controls, it is a small sacrifice for a ride that happens only every four years.

Normally, I change my cleats one time per season.

Andrew

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:58:19 am »
I'll take touring pedals with a large platform to spread some of the load and the option to unclip and ride on the other side of the pedal, for changes of foot position and pressure point.

That's what I have too. I think you need to think of comfort on the bike as much as off when it comes to shoes/pedals.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2015, 11:24:36 am »
First PBP in '99 was on Shimano MTB shoes - by 800km, I could definitely 'feel' that postage stamped size cleat on the ball of my foot - VERY uncomfortable indeed!

In later years, I switched to Canac MTB shoes, which had a removable cleat-plate attachment that spread the load better (but at an increased stack height).
<...>

i rode in mtb shoes (spesh touring) last time but with speedplay frog pedals, which have low stack and wider cleat (compared to spd's). feet felt ok, no issues, but i agree that on the bike road shoes are definitely better. off the bike - i only have a problem walking on loose gravel and wet floors in them - just need to be more careful.

rob

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2015, 11:59:47 am »
Giro MTB shoes and speedplay frogs.

I now have some race shoes and speedplay zeroes, but I wouldn't want to use on an audax due to the walking around controls part.   This is magnified on PBP due to the distances walked between control/feed/dormitories.   

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 03 July, 2015, 05:44:24 pm »
Got me some new leather Rapha road shoes at an incredibly good "Not to be Missed" price, so I shall be wearing them.

They're based on the giro shoes I wear anyway, so it won't be a problem and I'm looking forward to the real leather uppers as opposed to the synthetic Giro ones I have at the moment. Combined with Dura Ace carbon pedals and a pair of spangly new "quick on the draw" flip-flops for the walking and loafing in.

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2015, 05:48:40 pm »
^^^^

Are those the ones made from yak leather?

« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2015, 06:24:45 pm »
New shoes are nice  ;D to ride in---just unboxed my pair half price Spesh BG carbon soled MTB shoes, cleats easy to set up exactly as previous pair with detailed markings on sole, and after a 100km outing they felt great nice;  and shiny white too to match nice and shiny white K wing bars  ::-)  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #19 on: 04 July, 2015, 06:50:02 am »
^^^^

Are those the ones made from yak leather?

That's what the marketing twonks say, yes.

« Reply #20 on: 04 July, 2015, 06:55:24 am »
They`ve obviously run out of yaks now  ;D as latest Rapha Climber / GT shoes are shown as `artificial leather`

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2015, 08:02:46 am »
It's a shame there isn't a separate option for Hush Puppies.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2015, 08:10:50 am »
Your a sandals man Salvatore?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2015, 08:17:55 am »
I am indeed .  And without socks unless it's really really hot.

But I just thought that Hush Puppies  should get a mention to acknowledge  their place in the history of PBP and their pivotal role in the foundation of AUK.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2015, 09:25:09 am »
Carnac SPD road shoes & MTB pedals.

Tried Shimano sandals a couple of years ago, but their sizes go up by twos. A 42 left my toes overhanging the sole, the 44 had the internal lumps in the wrong places. And they were as heavy as hell, heavier than my road shoes.

Found this:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight