Author Topic: eTrex Vista HCx / eTrex Legend HCx / eTrex H / GPS 60  (Read 4029 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
eTrex Vista HCx / eTrex Legend HCx / eTrex H / GPS 60
« on: 22 April, 2009, 03:54:17 pm »
Ok. Its probably been asked a 1000 times, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. From most of the threads here, people are using one of the above units and all seem fairly happy with their choice. I'm not sure whether this spread is acheived through differing purchase dates, or whether certain units are widely considered better for certain jobs.

Perhaps there isn't a widely held consensus, and I should just go with whatever Charlotte's got.

Anyway, your votes please.

Should I purchase:
  • eTrex H @ £64.73
  • GPS 60 @ £125.42
  • eTrex Legend HCx @ 137.99
  • eTrex Vista HCx @ £166.22
  • Something else

It'd be accompanying me on LEL, so I need battery life foremost, and some flexibility re mounting (it'll be on a recumbent, at approximately 45 degrees from the vertical).

Unless things go really wrong, I won't care if it floats (but if that happens, I suppose finding out the best time to fish will raise my chances of staying alive whilst I search for land).

I'm less sensitive about cost, as I figure ~70 odd on the wrong thing is more expensive than ~100 more for the right one.

What do YOU reckon?
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Re: eTrex Vista HCx / eTrex Legend HCx / eTrex H / GPS 60
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:02:40 pm »
The eTrex H option will also require a handlebar1 mount (£12) and a data cable (£20 from eBay or £35 from Garmin, hmm) as it's not USB. So you'll be looking at closer to £100.

Newer models (Legend/Vista/Venture/Summit) all use a relatively bog standard USB cable which saves on that expense. You'll still have to add in £12 for a handlebar mount (or for the colour screen GPSes there's a better DIY mount you can make, see the sticky thread at the top of this forum).

I'll be using my eTrex H (actually, not the high sensitivity version) for LEL.

1. I assume that you'd be mounting it on a space grip or similar on the recumbent.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:04:12 pm »
The GPS 60 is designed to be used mostly in the vertical position or thereabouts. It is also significantly bulkier than the Etrex.

Battery life will be fine on all - they share the most practical option which is replaceable AAs.

Personally I'd definitely go with an HCx: the ability to have proper mapping and expandable memory is important for me. However, it is possible to use a GPS perfectly well for Audax without mapping.

Re your proposed positioning: the electronic compass in the HCx works effectively only in a horizontal position. If a horizontal position is not going to be possible you may not want to pay the extra for this feature. However, the HCx also has a barometric altimeter which I think is worth having.

Don't forget that all of the above are essentially old models - Garmin have moved on to the Oregon etc - but reports suggest that screen visibility in daylight is a major issue.

The HCx is the one I'd go for - keeps most options open.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:05:34 pm »
Perhaps there isn't a widely held consensus, and I should just go with whatever Charlotte's got.

;D

eTrex Legend HCx FTW  :thumbsup:

Although the Vista's almost identical.  It also has a compass and barometer which I decided I didn't need.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:12:57 pm »
1. I assume that you'd be mounting it on a space grip or similar on the recumbent.

I was thinking of a cable tie / foam padding / blue tak and hacksaw approach, placing it (neither horizontal or vertical) somewhere around here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36463803@N08/3465133933/

...Depends on eyeline in situ really. Might well end up closer to vertical.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »
The screen on the HCx is excellent overall, but small - can't really judge how far it will be from your eyes there - but as well as considering viewing / button pressing distance, you need to have the facility, at least initially when you first mount it, to vary the position a bit as screen visibility is quite sensitive to angle.

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »
Mounting at 45o is fine.

http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo6.jpg

With a bit of foam you could probably ziptie it to the frame there.

I have to do something similar on mine to stop the annoying rattling: http://www.greenbank.org/misc/le13.jpg (there are other solutions but I'm lazy and it works).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:38:40 pm »
Mounting at 45o is fine.
http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo6.jpg

That's about the same eye / screen distance I'd be getting. Broadly speaking, as long as your arm.

Sounds like the HCx is the one for me. Time to go read up on it and find a good price.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2009, 04:58:05 pm »
You might still want to get a (large version) bar mount  (only about £6 from Amazon - the £12 version has a part you won't need, with the HCx) and then butcher it just so as to zip-tie the business part of it to your frame.  Gives you a handy QR.  There's a picture on one of these threads.   Or a RAM cradle would work well on your setup, again ziptied on, again allows QR.

I agree with others that the HCx models are worth the extra, and the Vista probably worth having for the 'profile' display, if you see it for a good price.  The compass should be turned off (its a battery hit anyway) or configured so that it only kicks in when near-stationary.

PS arm's length is quite a long way away, for these 2x1 dim screens.  Another reason for a QR (and a lanyard for safety!) - unless you enjoy doing sit-ups in your recumbent.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »
arm's length is quite a long way away, for these 2x1 dim screens.  Another reason for a QR (and a lanyard for safety!) - unless you enjoy doing sit-ups in your recumbent.

On the SMGTe, yes, as it gets even more stable if you can move your torso around freely.
On the Furai (to which it'll be mounted) no, as it does the exact opposite.

Cheers for the mounting ideas. Will have a look.

« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2009, 08:44:55 pm »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
I just went with what Charlotte had  :thumbsup:  It looks huge in your hand (fnarr, fnarr) but it's barely any bigger than an Edge 605 or 705.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2009, 09:18:01 pm »
I bought a second hand Vista Cx (pre Hcx days).

Thanks Manotea  :thumbsup:

It's the only GPS I've ever owned. It's the only GPS I can imagine I'd ever need. It has maps, 400km+ battery life, a friendly light on a wild night and a profile display to tell me how hard I've been working (in case I didn't know).

A map was #1 on my list. What you go for will probably be determined by what's #1/#2 on your list.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2009, 05:15:40 pm »
Mister Postman...
Wait Mister Postman
...Please Mister Postman look and see
If there's a parcel from Amazon and another from RAM in your bag for me...

etc, etc....

OOoh!!! One more IGotWhatCharlotteGottm Legend HCx.

oxford_guy

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2009, 11:35:02 pm »
I just went with what Charlotte had  :thumbsup:  It looks huge in your hand (fnarr, fnarr) but it's barely any bigger than an Edge 605 or 705.

Nice Hewitt! I've got at Hewitt Cheviot SE myself... What mount did you use for the Vista HCx? Is it stem mounted? Thanks